• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taking horn on an international flight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Taking horn on an international flight Reply with quote

Howdy, folks. I'm leaving for Paris for a 10-day trip on Wednesday. I tried to make a pocket trumpet work out, but due to an RSI wrist injury, I can't play it. So it's either bring one of my regular Bb horns or nothing.

I have a leather Torpedo Outlaw as my single case. Have any of you flown internationally with this case? Is this a good idea? Or should I just forget bringing the horn at all? We're flying Delta / Air France if that matters.

Thanks for your help and advice!
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a carry on your golden. Just don't check it!!
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen your case, but if it is offers the protection of a protec, then you're fine. You will put it in the overhead bin, which other people will cram their stuff into, so you are better off with something sturdy and small. I wouldn't trust a gig bag.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't seen Steve's flight recommendations yet: https://torpedobags.com/customer-comfort/flight-recommendations/

If you haven't done so yet, see if you can add the option for early boarding to your tickets, which would make it easier to find space available in the overhead.
Piccolo Stomvi
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to Mexico every year with my trumpet in an old-fashioned suitcase style case. It is my carry-on, and fits under the seat. It is durable, and the space under the deck is large enough to carry those items that need to be carried on: medicine, one folded change of shorts & t-shirt, etc.
robertmooretruro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely read the torpedo bag flight recommendations. Good stuff there. Most airlines board the seats in the back first so try and get one of those if you aren't a gold member or first class. Also, don't worry about trying to get the horn into the overhead bin above your own seat. Just put it into the first overhead bin that you find enough room in. If your torpedo bag doesn't have any of the attachment bags on it then it will probably fit under the seat. My double horn protec case fits under the seat on the larger planes. It cramps my feet though. Better than gate checking it. I would avoid that like the plague. Also don't forget to put any liquids you have (valve oil) into a bag that you are checking. Generally the bottles are small enough in volume to be allowed but not worth the hassle if they ask.

I used to fly twice month from east coast to west coast. The first time I flew I checked my case and the leadpipe brace on the receiver end came off. After that I carried it on every time and never had an issue. If they ask you to gate check it, just explain what you have an politely ask if they can make room on board. My 2 cents worth.
Couesnon Monopole Star Flugelhorn SN: 38882
GR Paul Tynan 65.4 FL V2 prototype
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've flown domestically with a Torpedo Loredo (not the Outlaw Loredo, which is what I now use). I made a point to remove the mute bag (makes it look much smaller), put it in the overhead, no problem at all. I absolutely would not want to have to check it though. Even if it survives the rough treatment, you have no control over TSA people opening it, then trying to stuff the horn back in backwards (would not surprise me), dropping the horn or last but not least, the airline losing it.

Brad
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I really don't know what to do. It would be so nice to have a horn but the potential for disaster remains very high.
Sarcastic Musician

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've flown to Tokyo from the US with a trumpet in a Torpedo Outlaw. I put it under the seat and still had room for my (big) feet.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I take my horn it's in a gig bag and it fits under the seat in front of me. I've never had a problem.

The United States Code addresses the issue of taking musical instruments on airplanes as carry-on items. Here's the law:

United States Statutes

Title 49. TRANSPORTATION

Subtitle VII. AVIATION PROGRAMS

Part A. AIR COMMERCE AND SAFETY

Subpart II. ECONOMIC REGULATION

Chapter 417. OPERATIONS OF CARRIERS

Subchapter I. REQUIREMENTS

Current through P.L. 115-18

§ 41724. Musical instruments

(a) IN GENERAL.-
(1) SMALL INSTRUMENTS AS CARRY-ON BAGGAGE.-An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a violin, guitar, or other musical instrument in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage, if-
(A) the instrument can be stowed safely in a suitable baggage compartment in the aircraft cabin or under a passenger seat, in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator; and
(B) there is space for such stowage at the time the passenger boards the aircraft.
(2) LARGER INSTRUMENTS AS CARRY-ON BAGGAGE.-An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a musical instrument that is too large to meet the requirements of paragraph (1) in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to the cost of the additional ticket described in subparagraph (E), if-
(A) the instrument is contained in a case or covered so as to avoid injury to other passengers;
(B) the weight of the instrument, including the case or covering, does not exceed 165 pounds or the applicable weight restrictions for the aircraft;
(C) the instrument can be stowed in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator;
(D) neither the instrument nor the case contains any object not otherwise permitted to be carried in an aircraft cabin because of a law or regulation of the United States; and
(E) the passenger wishing to carry the instrument in the aircraft cabin has purchased an additional seat to accommodate the instrument.
(3) LARGE INSTRUMENTS AS CHECKED BAGGAGE.-An air carrier shall transport as baggage a musical instrument that is the property of a passenger traveling in air transportation that may not be carried in the aircraft cabin if-
(A) the sum of the length, width, and height measured in inches of the outside linear dimensions of the instrument (including the case) does not exceed 150 inches or the applicable size restrictions for the aircraft;
(B) the weight of the instrument does not exceed 165 pounds or the applicable weight restrictions for the aircraft; and
(C) the instrument can be stowed in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator.
(b) REGULATIONS.-Not later than 2 years after the date of enactment of this section, the Secretary shall issue final regulations to carry out subsection (a).
(c) EFFECTIVE DATE.-The requirements of this section shall become effective on the date of issuance of the final regulations under subsection (b).

Cite as 49 U.S.C. § 41724

Source: Added Pub. L. 112-95, title IV, §403(a), Feb. 14, 2012, 126 Stat. 84.

Notes from the Office of Law Revision Counsel

current through 2/13/2017

REFERENCES IN TEXT

The date of enactment of this section, referred to in subsec. (b), is the date of enactment of Pub. L. 112-95, which was approved Feb. 14, 2012.

Final regulations, referred to in subsecs. (b) and (c), were issued Dec. 29, 2014, effective Mar. 6, 2015. See 80 F.R. 161.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be sure grab your horn before arguing with the airline if they tell you to get off the plane so an airline employee can have your seat.

Geesh.

(No, this is not what happened in the news today, just a joke):

https://www.facebook.com/theaafnation/videos/1315248288543642

Brad
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying internastionally with a single trumpet case is not really a problem, as players who live and or tour around the world do it everyday. A much bigger problem is flying internationally with a quad case, or multiple cases.

In your situation, the bigger issue is do you really want to have a trumpet with you all the time and have to worry about it being damaged or stolen in a taxi or hotel room. It is nice to go on vacation without a horn, but I only did that once and that was almost 20 years ago! Chops first!

JU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: