• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harrelson 5MM Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Harrelson 5MM Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I hadn't seen much on Trumpet Herald regarding the Harrelson 5MM modular mouthpieces, and so thought I would share my initial experience.

I am quite impressed with the 5MM. It gives you the flexibility to change the rim, cup, throat, backbore and/or mass of your mouthpiece one piece at a time. The 5MM feels really solid when you put it together, but you can take it apart in seconds if you want to make any changes.

Jason offers an incredible number of options. For example, if you play on a Bach 3C and want something a bit deeper he offers two sizes of cups in between a Bach C and a Bach B cup (or in between a C and D if you want to go shallower).

The 5MM that I received last week is a close approximation of the Monette B2M S3 that I was playing at the time I ordered the 5MM (as part of a Harrelson trumpet purchase in 2014).

I have the most scaled-back of the mouthpiece bodies, but it is still considerably heavier than a traditional Bach mouthpiece. I don't have a scale precise enough to measure mouthpiece weight, but it feels even heavier than the Monette STC-1 weight. It is not so heavy that it throws off the balance of the instrument.

I no longer own a Harrelson trumpet. so have been using the 5MM on my Bach and Shires Bbs. The 5MM fits fine and plays at least as well as the Monette does.

Anyway, the 5MM is definitely worth considering, particularly if you are someone who is on a quest for the "perfect" fit mouthpiece....
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in buying one but I haven't built up the nerve to pull the trigger...
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long for the mouthpiece to arrive?

The other trumpet player in my quintet ordered a Harrelson mouthpiece, but gave up after several months of no mouthpiece and no contact, even after sending e-mails of inquiry.

Hopefully you had a better experience.

Steve
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of anyone having any issues with Harrelson customer service. They seem quite responsive. Phone calls are good. Also, you can't visit their website without someone instant messaging you trying to answer questions. They should also have every piece you need unless it's custom. They've been milling the **** out of these things for the past year.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search...
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Harrelson customer service, my experience has not been great. My mouthpiece order was forgotten about several times. I finally received it over a year after he started shipping the 5MM mouthpieces (though I ordered it two years ago). I had issues with a trumpet order as well.

Having said that, when you get Jason or one of the other Harrelson Trumpets folks on the phone they are really helpful, and the quality of their products is very high. Plus, I think his trumpets, and now the 5MM mouthpieces, are truly innovative. He's not making cookie-cutter copies of a Martin Committee or a Jet-Tone....
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dayton posted:

He's not making cookie-cutter copies of a Martin Committee or a Jet-Tone....

Not that there is anything wrong with that...
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cookie-cutter Monette copies...
trumpetman.rob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Just cookie-cutter Monette copies...

How so? I didn't know Monette made completely modular mouthpieces where every single component could be swapped out.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing cookie cutter about 5MM...
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant the Harrelson trumpets, with heavy weight construction, sheet bracing and extra mass valve caps, not the mouthpieces.

Dayton posted that Harrelson is not making a cookie-cutter copy of a Martin Committee, apparently to suggest that Harrelson's designs are all his own, but Monette trumpets seem to be the model for most of his instruments.

I personally do not like the way Harrelson trumpets play or sound (or feel, with all that extra weight). This is my opinion, and others may have a different one.

I have not tried the mouthpieces, so cannot comment.

As for Harrelson's customer service, you might want to do a search on this topic.

Steve
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Harrelson trumpets look like Monettes? I certainly understand if you don't like them but they are definitely not reading from the same book. You may not like either for the same reason but these two manufacturers are VERY different. Thanks for sharing your input.
tjyune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Harrelson 5MM mouthpiece and I love it. I also own a Bb Harrelson Bravura trumpet and I love it just as much. I bought and sold a lot of fine instruments, but I have never considered selling my Harrelson stuff because it's really well made.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Do a search...

No KIDDING, I've experienced it myself more than once.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
Which Harrelson trumpets look like Monettes? I certainly understand if you don't like them but they are definitely not reading from the same book. You may not like either for the same reason but these two manufacturers are VERY different. Thanks for sharing your input.

Pretty sure he's referring to the heavy construction. Harrelson's stuff may not look exactly like Monette's, but when I think of heavy horns that are along the same line of Monette the first two that come to mind are Harrelson and Taylor.
Of course Harrelson would say his stuff is totally different, maybe Taylor would also.

I've never played any of Harrelson's horns, many who do love them, say they are worth the wait, etc. Maybe so. But some of his business practices are less than terrific, in my opinion, and again, I've had direct experience myself.

As Steve said, do a search, you'll see plenty, including some fairly hostile responses from Harrelson during a very lengthy thread maybe 6-7 years ago.

Brad
jazztrum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I just sit back and read posts here but I think I have a bit of insight on this one that most don't have. I have a Harrelson Summit 4/10. Its 2 years old, has the machined tuning slide and the bell crook brace, not the machined bell crook. I also have a Monette P4 at home. These 2 horns could not be more different! The 1 common thing about the 2 is they are heavy. That's all. They don't sound similar, blow similar, slot, similar etc. The Harrelson is warm sounding, a beautiful big sound. The Monette is bold and edgy, much more of a commercial like sound to me. Do I like both horns? Yes. I also have a 5MM. I, too, waited for what seemed like forever for it. I just got a cup 2 weeks ago I ordered over 1 year ago so I understand where you are coming from. Even with all that, I would recommend people to try the Harrelson 5MM. If you can stand the wait, which they say is getting better, and have the patients to go through the process you can find components that will fit you, ultimately giving you something that works better than anything else.
My 2 cents.
MaxML415

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with jazztrum. The 5mm system feels great and allows for really unusual playing characteristics. I get the sense that HT is a small company, and they're pretty swamped with orders... it did take quite awhile for me to receive a few custom components for my mouthpiece, but it was worth it.

Somewhat off topic, but my regular axe is a Harrelson 909. It's a fantastic horn; sounds kinda like my old strad 37, but a tiny bit brighter and waaay easier to get around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: