• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Easter Service

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Easter Service Reply with quote

i attended Easter services at Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Florida. What a wonderful worship service. They had a choir, a pipe organ and an orchestra complete with trumpets. I didn't get a chance to speak the trumpet players, but they did a wonderful job.

The service made me think. When was the last time I heard a live performance that included a trumpet? It's been quite a while (outside of my own performances at church, a wedding and and a wedding anniversary banquet). About 4 years ago I heard an Army band concert - big band stuff, really wonderful. I heard a small Army brass ensemble play at an official Army function about 2 years ago. I managed to catch Tuba Skinny in Athens, GA, maybe a year or two ago. It seems that guitars have largely crowded out other instruments in popular music and that recorded music has largely crowded out live music. Sad.

Maybe it is just that I live in a rural area.

Anyway, this morning's service was simply wonderful. I am going to make an effort to incorporate my own playing more in my local church. Life is simply better with live trumpet performances.

Regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Easter Service Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Life is simply better with live trumpet performances.

Regards,
Grits

Brother, you can say that again!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The church I attend uses a small, 25 member, orchestra about once a month. Most players are members, but we hire pros to fill in the blanks.

The brass section is typically three trumpets, two French horns, two to three trombones, occasionally a euphonium, and a tuba.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post reminded me how blessed I am to be able to play with a small, talented church orchestra every Sunday morning. It's an early service and I have to sacrifice sleep to be there for the 7:30 a. m. rehearsal, but there's a lot of joy in being able to participate in that environment.

Now, I just learned last night at the midweek rehearsal that many of the ladies from the choir are going to be out of town this weekend so the choir piece is going to be a men's vocal ensemble. Several of us brass players were recruited to sing in the group. ....that was different....

Your point about live music largely only being available in metropolitan areas (or near universities with strong music programs?) has frequently given me pause as my wife and I discuss retirement location possibilities. Sure would be nice to be in a quieter, less hectic community but it is also important to us to be able to take in live music performances from time to time.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff,

Let me know where you play. I'd like to visit one Sunday morning.

There are definitely tradeoffs between living in an urban area and living in a rural area. For me, the choice is easy. I absolutely love living in the country. I live on a lake (just got back from a few hours fishing; caught 20 stripers and 4 large catfish). There is no traffic to fight. I can sit on my back porch and play my trumpet as loud as I want and not worry about the neighbors complaining. I take a daily walk and enjoy the quiet and the scenery. We have three very nice golf courses within a few miles of my house and there is never a problem with tee times or backups on the courses.

I just returned from a week in Florida. I really enjoyed the worship service at St. Anthony's Chapel near Orlando, but I find the traffic and noise of Miami and Orlando to be unbearable. When I am home I feel more like I am on vacation than when I am on vacation in Florida.

Different strokes for different folks.

Regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: