• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette B2S3 on C trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erez

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Monette B2S3 on C trumpet Reply with quote

Hi everyone. just wondered, I came back recently to my Monette b2s3. I didn't like the results on my Bb trumpet so i stick with my bach 1 1/4c stock. but, i tried few times to play it on my 229 C trumpet and i really like it. the intonation is great (according to Monette intonation is the main problem with Bb piece on C trumet) the blow feels more comfortable than any altereted mouthpiece that i got.
by the way, I had a Monette C2 classic and i had bad results with it on both C and Bb trumpets so i sold it.
Does anybody had the same experience with it?
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette B2S3 on C trumpet Reply with quote

erez wrote:
Hi everyone. just wondered, I came back recently to my Monette b2s3. I didn't like the results on my Bb trumpet so i stick with my bach 1 1/4c stock. but, i tried few times to play it on my 229 C trumpet and i really like it. the intonation is great (according to Monette intonation is the main problem with Bb piece on C trumet) the blow feels more comfortable than any altereted mouthpiece that i got.
by the way, I had a Monette C2 classic and i had bad results with it on both C and Bb trumpets so i sold it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the experimental phase of mouthpiece selection.

Fundamentally, any piece of metal with a hole in it should passably work as part of a brass instrument system. That Monette mouthpieces are key-specific, your experiences with the Bb-designed mouthpiece as an improvement to your C-trumpet experience speaks some truth to how out-of-whack 'normal' C-trumpet experiences can be - i.e. playing a trumpet pitched in C with a 'traditional' mouthpiece, the acoustic length of which most adequately serves a trumpet in A: The already-shorter Monette Bb length gets you a little closer to center on that harmonic series, though it is by absolutely no means optimal!

You'd have to give a bit more detail about what exactly is 'bad' about your former experience with the C2, and why you prefer your 1 1/4 C (Bach?) over the similarly-sized (but markedly different - not only in acoustic length) B2S3.

Again, at the end of the day, if something works for you, that's great! If you and your audience and your colleagues enjoy the results of any equipment experiment, this is a good thing - as Duke Ellington is said to have said, "If it sounds good, it is good!" Now, that said, there are more affordable mouthpieces to experiment than Monettes, and making hard-and-fast qualitative assessments over mis-matched equipment isn't necessarily the best way to go.

Much has changed in the way that Dave&Co. make their mouthpieces since I started playing them more than 20 years ago, and, having realized improvements in every facet of my musical engagement through the horn with his equipment, I've welcomed each 'upgrade' and have enjoyed ever-greater access to my innate musicality when going from STC to Prana to Prana 'Slap' and now to Resonance Prana 'Slap' mouthpieces.

To make an armchair assessment having never met you or hearing you play, but reading between the lines on your Bb vs C trumpet experience with a Monette Bb mouthpiece, there's much you can do in 'body work' to release unnecessary tension and 'holding' which will complement your work with Dave's equipment. This is all laid-out very clearly in his literature, which it seems you're familiar with. I'll take the liberty of sharing it here to reinforce what I've said, and for others' reference: http://monette.net/newsite/monette_concept_01.htm

I hope this helped a little bit...

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
tjyune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

I went through some of the Monette mouthpiece experience. Let me start out by saying that they do make great mouthpieces (but too costly in my opinion).

Here's my 2 cents. I have a throat size measuring set of drill bits. I noticed on all the Monette mouthpieces that I encountered that the throat numbers on the mouthpiece does not match the actual size. The throat sizes were always marked significantly smaller than the actual size. When I measured my friends Monette mouthpieces (Prana) and showed them, they were really surprised by the differences!

Previously, I played on a B2S3 and C2S3 sizes (non-Prana). They were great at the time, but I ended up selling all of them because for me other mouthpieces worked better. I just tried a lot of mouthpieces. Now, for my C-trumpet, I play on a Schilke Symphony M1 or a Wick 1 with a 21 throat. For my Bb side, I love the Harrelson 5MM mouthpiece (Bach Mount Vernon 1-1/4 size, 21 throat) - I own a Bb Harrelson Bravura trumpet.

I tried the Monette C2 (non-Prana). I liked it at the time, but i think I changed to the C2S3 mostly because of all the hype. Now, I just try to focus on the sound and response. Having said all that, I may one day return to the Monettes?
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette B2S3 on C trumpet Reply with quote

erez wrote:

I had the same mouthpiece as you, both B2s3 and C2s3, then went to the prana series. For both, I was not happy with the attacks. I like my Warburton 2MC and 10 shank because (A) I only need to worry about one piece for both C and Bb, (B) intonation is better for me, and (C) attacks are better. Monette is not for everyone, myself included.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: