• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Aging raw brass

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like to do (if I ever do get raw brass horns), I age the horn without any protection or polish for 2-3 weeks, once it ages to what I like, I take out some Rennaisance Wax and rub down the horn generiously so the finish is somewhat temporarily "frozen" in place and the horn will also shine a little under light with that aged finish look.

For aging the metal faster, I've heard people shinning some sor t of "light" onto the metal for a few days and it seems to have an effect. Not sure.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:

Hmmm... I wonder, when it comes time, if Dr. Valve could still do the valve job on that???

Lol not sure if his shop is big enough.

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of actually participated in urinating on copper roof material to speed the aging
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78

Don't give these guys any ideas!! I bet at least a few TH folks read your post and are in their bathrooms right now debating giving it a try on their trumpet!!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Dennis78

Don't give these guys any ideas!! I bet at least a few TH folks read your post and are in their bathrooms right now debating giving it a try on their trumpet!!

If they already sound like crap on their horns, why not?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patina is not green on any horn, regardless what any dictionary written by non-brass players claims. Green is indeed oxidation, and not invited on my property.

I would never strip a horn to raw brass, but the only one I ever bought new, I did not pay for a finish. 4 YEARS later there was no appreciable patina, played daily and always left out on a stand. After 7 years it's kinds blotchy, and I'm considering getting it nickel plated.

Trick G? You're arguing with Charlie Melk, not me. Had you read the thread you would know that. Patina is easy to differentiate from oxidation; if it's green, which sometimes develops inside a backbore or downhill from a spit valve, CLEAN IT OFF!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the term "corrosion" in place of "oxidation" to indicate the difference between patina and the bad stuff. Yes, patina on brass or copper is a very thin layer of oxidized metal, but the term also includes the tiny hairline scratches that occur as the horn is handled. It's the overall look of something that has aged. Corrosion is another matter. This happens when the substrate is attacked and damaged by a foreign chemical agent other than mere oxygen and moisture.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys ever check pricing and sales of used and vintage instruments? Take a look at what sells fast and what gets a premium.

All original parts and finish are most desirable.

Look at used Bach NY or Mt Vernons, and look at the sale prices for original finish, then raw brass, then a relacquer.

People think (for good reason) altering the instrument's finish alters the playability and changes the instrument from its original state. Thus, the lowered pricing and desirability of horns in raw brass and worse a relacquer.

I understand, when you strip a horns finish you aren't doing it for resale purposes, but inevitably you may want another horn and sell the one you've stripped at some point, and get a different horn. A handful of people might say "oooohhhh that's pretty and different!! And looks like Wynton's trumpets..li have to have it!!" But that's a small minority of people, and usually players would prefer original condition.

Again, it's your horn do what you will. But it's a drag when I see high end horns being purposefully degraded and worse more rare vintage trumpets.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Trick G? You're arguing with Charlie Melk, not me. Had you read the thread you would know that.

Actually, despite the rhetorical shenanigans, he was arguing with you. I don't think Mr. Melk is posting on this thread.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: "poser" Reply with quote

Benge.nut=+1

The "talking" you do is with what comes out of your head, not with the finish of your horn....don't be a "poser"...The guy with the fancy road bike outfit better be able to ride; the guy that has the body language of Lin Biviano better be able to play. If you horn looks like an old "jazzers" horn, you had
better be able to "say something" with it.....otherwise...you appear "the fool".

If you have a descent instrument or even a poor one, show it and the people who made it some respect...take care of it. That says something about your character and the way you view life.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with raw brass horns and most of all it has completely nothing to do with (lack of) repect for anything or anybody nor with the durability of a horn.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: "poser" Reply with quote

ALaschiver wrote:
If you horn looks like an old "jazzers" horn, you had
better be able to "say something" with it.....otherwise...you appear "the fool"

Placing expectations on some other player because of what one thinks their horn looks like ... might make one appear the fool.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight derailment:

New Adams Trumpets/Flugels.

Man these are AWESOME instruments. I love the way they feel, and play. The valves are super awesome as well. Just great built machines.

But....

What I just can't understand is all the goofy finishes that seem to be stocked in the US. They must sell, right?

The ones I've seen players in town are just regular vanilla lacquer or sivler plate. But on websites, they all have aged this, burnished that, matte finish here, satin finish there, half and half bell materials, part yellow brass part nickel etc etc

To me, that stuff is overkill and a turn off. I want my trumpets to look like trumpets. Not an old tea pot from the 1800s? But like I said, people must be buying them, and the must be selling in order to stock them like that.

I'd consider...CONSIDER, a matte or satin finish, with protective lacquer or brushed silver plate. But the horn would have to be a hell of a player as I'd rather my instruments not have so much flash and pizzazz. I don't want glitter exploding out if my bell, or confetti and streamers.

Just a regular trumpet, that I don't have to worry about to much maintenance and that I can just play, and not admire as a faux antique
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: "poser" Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
ALaschiver wrote:
If you horn looks like an old "jazzers" horn, you had
better be able to "say something" with it.....otherwise...you appear "the fool"

Placing expectations on some other player because of what one thinks their horn looks like ... might make one appear the fool.

I think both points of view are those of a fool.

I don't care what your horn looks like. Just how you play it.

That said, I like a horn that looks like the owner loves and takes care of it. IMHO, this does not include raw brass or a horn with a patina. YMMV.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear God! I hope I don't have to become Cindy Bradley just to have permission to play jazz on a "colored" horn. Just imagine my rendition of "Yesterday..." Sing along now!

"Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be!"

For the record:
1) My hands are not very corrosive, so the horn isn't corroding. I take good care of it
2) I ordered my flugelhorn raw so I could test a nano-coating I was trying to bring to market
3) When I got the horn it was already turning colors from fingerprints at the factory
4) I like the blue, green, purple, magenta and yellow that have formed on the copper enough to want to explore art finishes for metal even further
5) This is the best playing and sounding flugelhorn I have ever experienced, so I'm not about to take a chance with having it buffed and finished now.
6) I don't ever plan to resell this horn before I'm dead.
7) None of you have to put up with my flugelhorn, so go have a happy day!

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Dear God! I hope I don't have to become Cindy Bradley just to have permission to play jazz on a "colored" horn. Just imagine my rendition of "Yesterday..." Sing along now!

"Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be!"

For the record:
1) My hands are not very corrosive, so the horn isn't corroding. I take good care of it
2) I ordered my flugelhorn raw so I could test a nano-coating I was trying to bring to market
3) When I got the horn it was already turning colors from fingerprints at the factory
4) I like the blue, green, purple, magenta and yellow that have formed on the copper enough to want to explore art finishes for metal even further
5) This is the best playing and sounding flugelhorn I have ever experienced, so I'm not about to take a chance with having it buffed and finished now.
6) I don't ever plan to resell this horn before I'm dead.
7) None of you have to put up with my flugelhorn, so go have a happy day!

+1
I totally agree Brian, My WT flugelhorn which I stripped and gave it a brushed finished myself because I like that look and I personally don't really care if other people like it or not, and as with you this is the best flugelhorn I have ever played. My 2 trumpets are both raw brass and I myself will never go back to a plated finish unless it is gold which I have owned and like but too expensive to have that plating done.....
I know this will draw comments but why do people have to get off subject so much on this forum......all the guy wanted was suggestions on how to speed up the patina process. My suggestion on that is just let it happen over time. My Monette looks great now, about 9 years old, and both my other horns are looking better, to me, every month.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why do people have to get off topic"?? It's an Internet forum full of people with different opinions and differing ways to communicate....not robots, or Siri just answering specific questions.

You guys like raw brass? Fancy colors intrigue you? You don't mind the horns life being shortened due to lack or protection?? Think maybe it plays different or better? Good for you.

Others have differing opinions?? Also good.

It doesn't matter and people shouldn't take differing opinions so personally...because at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter.

The derailment taught me a few things I didn't know about alloys and corrosion and patina etc. I thought it was a useful conversation. Sorry if any of your feeling were hurt
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
"Why do people have to get off topic"?? It's an Internet forum full of people with different opinions and differing ways to communicate....not robots, or Siri just answering specific questions.

You guys like raw brass? Fancy colors intrigue you? You don't mind the horns life being shortened due to lack or protection?? Think maybe it plays different or better? Good for you.

Others have differing opinions?? Also good.

It doesn't matter and people shouldn't take differing opinions so personally...because at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter.

The derailment taught me a few things I didn't know about alloys and corrosion and patina etc. I thought it was a useful conversation. Sorry if any of your feeling were hurt

One more thing to add to the mix, benge.nut. There are buildings in Europe (and maybe the eastern United States) that have raw copper domes and arched roofs that are two or three hundred years old. Copper sheet takes on a green oxide layer called verdigris (green-gray) that creates a barrier to further corrosion. Standing out in the weather, sun and pigeons, these copper roofs keep their building's interiors dry for centuries. A little air and moisture isn't going to really harm a flugelhorn bell. If it does, I will be dead an gone long before I realize it!

razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point remains that the green is a different thing than the darker colour of Patna, which is not removal or damage to metal, per one of the most trusted repair techs on the planet. This may factor in to the OP's concern, which is the only reason I posted.

Patina can also be removed, with no damage.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of fake news going in this thread

patina does not shorten the life of an instrument. It protects it from corrosion.

To accelerate the formation and get a good looking patin, try near boiling sodium phosphate degreaser and let it soak for about ten minutes. Gets a real nice even color, and the different alloys get a different shade. So your ferrules, caps, receiver, casings etc will get a darker shade if they have more copper content (machined parts usually have more copper)

never tried liver of sulphur (mentioned in this thread by someone actually answering the question) but have heard of using that before.

anything with acid in it (urine, vinegar, CLR, etc) removes patina so you have to start all over again
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: