• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trad Jazz Camp Experiences?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Trad Jazz Camp Experiences? Reply with quote

Next year's birthday is a milestone with a 0 on the end, and The Missus is insisting I celebrate by taking a week at a trad jazz camp.

Right now I am leaning towards New Orleans. Anybody here been?
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this note. I've been to the New Orleans Trad Jazz Camp three times now. Great experiences each time. Comfortable hotel in the center of the French Quarter that provides breakfast and lunch. (You're on your own for dinner in New Orleans.) Friendly, accessible local players as instructors. Each day you play in two different bands--each with a completely different mix of students so by the end of the week you've played in eight or more different bands. (Great way to work bandstand flexibility.)

One night you play in a parade through the quarter to the river. Then to Pat O'Briens for a hurricane drink and a rest. Then play back to the hotel. (Nothing quite like playing Bourbon Street Parade on Bourbon Street.) Play at Preservation Hall one afternoon and finish with a concert at the hotel. You hear talks on the genre and playing, along with performances by Pres Hall brass bands.

It's a town where every evening I could go hear eight or more bands at work. I walked to Frenchman Street and listened to three trad and swing bands a night. The town has music everywhere. Doreen Ketchums--one of the great clarinet players of our time-- was busking most days 100 feet from the hotel door. Jon Cleary was playing solo piano one night and then with his group the next night. In general the working musicians are relaxed and approachable, often happy to chat. Opportunities for jam sessions at several location in the hotel and nearby every afternoon and evening. Campers, teachers and locals--all friendly. What's not to like?
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: