• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 7E Equivalent?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpwatson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Bach 7E Equivalent? Reply with quote

I'm starting to play piccolo (a Stomvi Elite with trumpet receiver) and have had the most success with the Bach 7E. The articulation is pretty clear and my range is decent considering I've only played piccolo for a few months. I have a long way to go of course.

The 7E feels maybe slightly too small for my liking, whereas the Schilke 14A4a is a bit big. I also think my intonation on the 7E isn't the greatest. For orchestral playing I use a Bach 1-1/4C.

I'm having a hard time finding a consistent mouthpiece equivalence chart. Would anyone be able to recommend a different mouthpiece that is comparable to the 7E? I know of the Schilke 11A/X, and I believe the Yamaha 11A4? But what about Marcinkiewicz, Jet Tone, Stork, etc.

Conversely, would a cornet 7E with a GR piccolo adapter help with my intonation issues? Are the adapters generally beneficial when cornet receivers aren't an option?

Thank you for any input you might offer me.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Maybe try a 7D...
Or in Marcinkiewicz 7PB with a #28 throat or 7PD/7E with #27 throat.
But you said the 7E is too small..if so, their number 10 in standard serie would suit...
Best
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dpwatson,

Check out at Warburton's web site.I think their 5sv top is worth a try.It's a bit bigger than the Bach 7E but smaller than Schilke's 14A4a.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella is right, Warburton have a very large choice, and if their rim contour is ok for you, you should find something that suit.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach 7E Equivalent? Reply with quote

dpwatson wrote:

Conversely, would a cornet 7E with a GR piccolo adapter help with my intonation issues? Are the adapters generally beneficial when cornet receivers aren't an option?

It very well could. I don't know much about the GR adapters specifically, but I tried just a regular cornet to trumpet adapter on my Yamaha piccolo and it played a lot better than using just straight trumpet mouthpieces. Much more even and in tune. I liked it so much I had Osmun make me a custom leadpipe with cornet receiver. Really glad I did. It plays like a totally different horn (for the better). Cheapest option to experiment would be to start with the adapter and go from there.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you know, while I'm at it, not to hijack your thread too much, but I'm actually curious about a Curry equivalent for a Bach 7 rim. Would it be Curry's 8.5 rim?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
Hi dpwatson,

Check out at Warburton's web site.I think their 5sv top is worth a try.It's a bit bigger than the Bach 7E but smaller than Schilke's 14A4a.

I prefer the S cup on my pic. I use a Warbonite 6S with a S10* backbore.
The 5S might work for you.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 11A5. Its great and feels much better than 7E of any brand.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
And you know, while I'm at it, not to hijack your thread too much, but I'm actually curious about a Curry equivalent for a Bach 7 rim. Would it be Curry's 8.5 rim?

Just to be clear: Are you talking about the Bach 7 rim, the Bach 7C rim or any of the others (7A, 7B, 7D, 7E - they're all different)?

The Curry 8.5 to me feels a pretty much what you'd expect for it's claimed .639 ID (ie: if you were used to Warburton 6's or GR 64's, both claimed at .640, it's in the right ballpark to these) - I find the GR64 and Curry 8.5 a decent enough match, the Curry is has a slightly flatter and broader/more-cushioned feel to the rim itself and maybe feels a smidge smaller than a GR64, but pretty compatible to me.

To drag back onto topic (so we're all happy )
The Schilke 11A and Warburton 6 are, I find, a fraction smaller feeling (that is, I perceive the ID to be smaller) for me than the Curry 8.5 and GR64.

The 7E is a pretty time-tested picc design - it's been used successfully by many players... and if you're finding your articulation and range working well on it so far, then it might be worth continuing with it for the time being.
As fun as mouthpiece safari's can be, if the results you're getting so far are generally decent it might be worth simply working with it a bit longer and seeing whether the intonation issues clear up with a bit more familiarity - you may grow to feel that the ID isn't too big after all (it's common practice to play a smaller piece on picc).
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
snichols wrote:

Just to be clear: Are you talking about the Bach 7 rim, the Bach 7C rim or any of the others (7A, 7B, 7D, 7E - they're all different)?

Sorry, the 7E. Overall I like the 7E, but I've found I also really like the Curry DE/P cup. I also really like Curry's rims. I thought I might try the P cup with the closest size curry rim. Looking at the numbers, it looks like the 8.5 might be the closest diameter...
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
TKSop wrote:
snichols wrote:

Sorry, the 7E. Overall I like the 7E, but I've found I also really like the Curry DE/P cup. I also really like Curry's rims. I thought I might try the P cup with the closest size curry rim. Looking at the numbers, it looks like the 8.5 might be the closest diameter...

I don't have a 7E on hand to compare but it should be ballpark - my 8.5DC (cornet piece) feels a hair larger ID (to me) than my 11AX, but there's not too much in it. If forced to guess, I'd say it should be roughly right...
The 8.5 is a pretty friendly and relatively neutral rim (I remember intensely disliking the Curry 7, can't remember exactly why).
trptmindfk

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that Maurice Andre played both 7E and 7D. I have played the 7E on the picc and know what you mean. It can feel too small, so I tried the 7D...very cool! Slightly bigger cup, fatter sound and still has lots of leverage.

However, since the 7E comes standard with the 117 backbore (a must for the picc), you have to special order the 7D to get the 117 BB. Otherwise you get the standard BB on the 7D which is very tight!
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptmindfk wrote:
I read that Maurice Andre played both 7E and 7D. I have played the 7E on the picc and know what you mean. It can feel too small, so I tried the 7D...very cool! Slightly bigger cup, fatter sound and still has lots of leverage.

However, since the 7E comes standard with the 117 backbore (a must for the picc), you have to special order the 7D to get the 117 BB. Otherwise you get the standard BB on the 7D which is very tight!

I believe the standard backbore on mouthpieces with Bach D cups is the 76 backbore.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
TKSop wrote:
snichols wrote:

+1. I also have found that I really like Curry's DE/P.. the best balance of depth, rim shape, & backbore that I've found for picc... (and others)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GR has digitized the 11AX and 7E. They are almost the same. The 11ax is very close.

The best choices are the Haefner 7H*P, 7HP, GR 64.4P, 64P.

www.grmouthpieces.com
http://grmouthpieces.com/mouthpieces-1.html
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7E is a pretty standard picc mouthpiece that seems to work for a large number of folks, I would give it a bit longer until you get a better handle on the small horn. (with the caveat that for some reason some horns really do play better with either a Schilke 11AX [Schilke P5-4, P7] or 7E [most Yamahas] but not equally well with both for some reason...)

If your pitch problems are that you go sharp as you go higher, you likely have too much lip in the cup and/or an aperture that is too small. Remember that the 7E has a smaller inside rim diameter than you normally play on the big horns. Don't try to put that same amount of lip into the smaller cup, it will close down your aperture and can cause you problems.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give serious consideration to one of Bob Reeve's Piccolo Trumpet Mouthpieces. In particular, either the 43C or 43M. They have super comfortable rims and provide a sound that is not shrill. On C trumpet I've played a Bach 1X rim / 1B underpart in the past (recently, I've moved to a mouthpiece with a copy of a Mt Vernon 3C rim with a 3B underpart for Orchestra), and I find transitioning to the Reeves 43 rim with a Reeves C or M cup to be very easy.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. Scriver wrote:
GR has digitized the 11AX and 7E. They are almost the same. The 11ax is very close.

Wow, they sure are!

https://s25.postimg.org/t6vs8ll5b/Bach_7_E_red_vs_Schilke_11_A_green.jpg
Bach 7E (red) vs Schilke 11A (green)

It's interesting how many mouthpieces there are in the standard Schilke catalog that are actually based on, if not outright copies of particular Bach mouthpieces.

The S14 and 1-1/2C, the S15B and Mt Vernon 3C, and the S19 and Mt Vernon 1 are three other examples I know about, and I'm pretty sure there are others.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Radtke:

The Bach 7E and Schilke 11A WE DIGITIZED were from the most highly noted international piccolo players.

These samples were from the 70's and in the cup area near exact. There was some differences on the rim in the bite area and outside rim radius. Largest variation in the bite was .0016" and the outside diameter on the radius about .005".

www.grmouthpieces.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: