• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Trad Charts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Best Trad Charts Reply with quote

I know real salty dogs scoff at the idea of printed music for trad groups but I'm trying to pull a unit together quick for some gigs.

What's the best source of Dixie charts or fake books for trumpet, clarinet, bone, tuba?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creole Jazz Band fake books. All parts are there.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip - Thanks R!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.lassecollin.se
Chord symbols for C instruments at the top of the page with Bb lead sheet below. Sucks for the Tbone player though. Lol
Tobias
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.creolejazzband.com/Fake%20Books.html
Flgh Bach Strad 183

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu_ROyOxKhTAa_45c8H93lQ
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias wrote:

Ha!! This is awesome. There are a handful of tunes in there I've always wanted to have.

Thanks man!
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias wrote:

Wow, very cool. I'm amazed at how they kept the file size so small. Over 300 pages and only 3MB? O_O
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Best Trad Charts Reply with quote

In addition to the sources listed, I believe Hal Leonard publshes a "Real Dixieland Fakebook" and it's probably transposed for various instruments.

There's also something called the "Firehouse Jazz Band Commercial Dixieland Fakebook" which you can probably find on various internet drop points. I would caution that the changes and arrangements on some of those charts can be questionable and/or non standard.

snichols wrote:
Wow, very cool. I'm amazed at how they kept the file size so small. Over 300 pages and only 3MB? O_O

They created PDF directly from the notating application, so the notes/clefs/stems/accidentals are rendered as font data and the staves as vector data, all very lightweight compared with scanned pages.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Tobias wrote:

Pure black and white (not grayscale) sheet music is very little data on each page. Should be quite small when done right.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
snichols wrote:

Pure black and white (not grayscale) sheet music is very little data on each page. Should be quite small when done right.

At the risk of geeking out...

What you say is true to the extent that a bitmapped 2-color scan (raster image) takes less data to store than an 8-bit grayscale scan.

But the PDF in question isn't a raster scan, it's vector data. (Specifically, it's encapsulated postscript code, compressed in the PDF.) You can actually produce a grayscale vector PDF which is more compact than a b/w raster scan.

In this case, it's not the color depth that's making it compact, it's the rendering code used to store each page in the PDF.

[[ end prepress geek mode ]]

snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
snichols wrote:

At the risk of geeking out...

What you say is true to the extent that a bitmapped 2-color scan (raster image) takes less data to store than an 8-bit grayscale scan.

But the PDF in question isn't a raster scan, it's vector data. (Specifically, it's encapsulated postscript code, compressed in the PDF.) You can actually produce a grayscale vector PDF which is more compact than a b/w raster scan.

In this case, it's not the color depth that's making it compact, it's the rendering code used to store each page in the PDF.

[[ end prepress geek mode ]]

Geek mode appreciated... Now, at the risk of sounding stupid... does what you just said mean that it's because it's not actually a scanned "image", but is just data on the page, kind of like a text file? Am I understanding you correctly?
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Geek mode appreciated... Now, at the risk of sounding stupid... does what you just said mean that it's because it's not actually a scanned "image", but is just data on the page, kind of like a text file? Am I understanding you correctly?

That is correct.

Take the example of a note head, repeated thousands of times in the document referenced above. In a scanned "image" (raster) at 200dpi, each black pixel in the oval is detected and stored, row by row, on each page.

In a vector file, the oval is loaded once at the front end of the job as font data, in a command that says "render an oval shape, rotated -30 degrees, and fill it with black". Then whenever a notehead appears on the page, the vector data describes its position and its size, and that's it. Then it's incumbent on the PDF rendering engine (or Postscript interpreter in the printer) to properly render the data on the page.

As a result, vector PDFs are very, very compact files that can render the page at the highest resolution that the printing device can render.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops. I started a digression, but a fun one. I wasn't trying to go that deep, but jazz_trpt has it exactly right.

I mainly brought it up because one of the bands I play in currently has a bandleader who has yet to learn how to run his scanner in anything but grayscale. He buys a new chart, then scans it and hands out the copies and holds onto the originals. (IANAL and don't want to argue that point... suffice it to say musicians are not the most reliable people in the world when it comes to not losing parts). At any rate, I end up going back and rescanning these gray, low-contrast parts so they're readable.

Forgive me, but I think this is about to make the first digression even worse...

I think it might be worth mentioning, especially for the older members of the forum that might be having trouble reading some parts, especially the old faded/worn/turning brown ones that get handed out at times.

That smartphone you have with you is fantastic for helping you solve this problem. There are numerous 'scanning' apps for them that can really help. First off, they will 'scan' a piece of faded brown sheet music into high-contrast black and white, and crop it pretty much perfectly right off the stand. Then you can reprint that part on bright white paper (costs a little bit more at an Office Depot) and end up with a nice, easy to read part.

Of course, if you have one of the newer ipads with the jumbo screen (or one the large tablets running some inferior OS) you can just use it instead. I find the backlighting such that it is easier to read than the best of printed parts, especially in anything but really good ambient lighting conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: