• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hummel on Cornet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Hummel on Cornet? Reply with quote

This sounds really stupid but as a question and considering the fact that a Bach cornet is basically said to be a differently wrapped trumpet, would I get shamed for performing Hummel or Neruda on a Bb cornet?

I know Mr German Asensi, an artist for Stomvi performed Neruda on one of those 'ventil-jagdhorn' or 3 rotary valve post horn.
A.Windisch Silber-Deluxe, Dresden
Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' piccolo
Conn 'Connstellation' 28A
SO many more trumpets.....
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hummel on Cornet? Reply with quote

TheBrassBandMajor wrote:
This sounds really stupid but as a question and considering the fact that a Bach cornet uses trumpet mandrel and basically a 'differently' wrapped trumpet, would I be shamed for performing Hummel in Eb major on a Bb cornet?

Or if I did good on a Bb cornet would I get cheered? or shamed?

From my perspective: Cheered! As a matter of fact I performed it on my Bb cornet (Getzen Eterna) years ago. I began using my trumpet but soon enough found out I was more at home with my cornet. Seemed more agile so to speak - probably I was more used to the cornet. Sound -wise I l liked the cornet, round, core, warmth, also a sense of agility.
However a music - critic in the audience asked me if I had listened to Hakan Hardenberg´s version - which I had but.....
A friend of mine cheered me up by telling me "yeah but Hakan did not defend his doctoral thesis" the essence of which was that I was a mere amateur doing his bl-dy best.
So cheers!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hummel on Cornet? Reply with quote

TheBrassBandMajor wrote:
This sounds really stupid but as a question and considering the fact that a Bach cornet is basically said to be a differently wrapped trumpet, would I get shamed for performing Hummel or Neruda on a Bb cornet?

I know Mr German Asensi, an artist for Stomvi performed Neruda on one of those 'ventil-jagdhorn' or 3 rotary valve post horn.

The Neruda is a horn concerto, not a trumpet concerto.

The Hummel was written for the same performer, and same instrument (only in E, not Eb) as that of the Haydn, a keyed trumpet. Quite different from a modern trumpet, but also quite different from any kind of cornet.

Do you play trumpet? If so, why the interest in playing the Hummel on cornet? If not, of course, yes - learn the piece!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my good B&S but why not look for new ways? I mean Guerrier rocked Hummel on a Heckel rotary trumpet, if he tried it on a Bb rotary, I could try it on Bb cornet!

I don't know why but I do tend to sound better for classical music on cornet but with big band I sound better on trumpet (of course....).
A.Windisch Silber-Deluxe, Dresden
Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' piccolo
Conn 'Connstellation' 28A
SO many more trumpets.....
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not perfect but a very nice sound.

Link
marnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even know a guy who won auditions playing haydn on Eb-cornet. So why not.
Historically probably completely wrong, but if you play it well, nobody will care. Only the ones who are picky on historically correct instruments, but these guys won't come and listen to you anyway, so go ahead.
XO brass picc
Yamaha 741 D
Back to good old GR 66L
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played the Hummel and the Neruda on Eb cornet. I've also done the second movement of the Haydn on Eb cornet. To me, it is just a choice that I am making in the voice that I want to create.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only "correct" instrument to perform the Hummel on is a keyed E trumpet, right? That said, using anything else won't duplicate the original instrument's sound, so what makes the varied instruments used in the past to play this piece any more correct than your choice? Now, if you had said you wanted to play it on a saxophone, we would have a problem...
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBM, I don't think there are any real "rules," particularly because as Dale said, the actual proper instrument for that would be a keyed trumpet.

You'll sound fine on cornet. Give it a whirl.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no problem with Haydn on cornet. I wouldn't do that for an audition, but for a performance, it's a solo. Do what you like the sound of.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has come up a couple of times recently. I think that there are a number of reasons using cornet is problematic. Others have said that we don't perform the instrument on a keyed trumpet anymore, so it doesn't matter, but I'm going to try and politely poke some holes in that argument.

First, the cornet is of a completely different lineage from the trumpet. Stylistically, Weidinger's trumpet would have been a bit of a gimmick, playing off of the audience's predispositions of what a trumpet is supposed to be and do, and both Hummel and Haydn wrote their music that way. Actually, Hummel's concerto was poking fun at the principale style; Haydn's, clarino. So I think the trumpet is the most appropriate instrument available to play these two works.

Second, the Eb cornet is most at home in a British brass band. It really occupies the role that, say, a flute or piccolo would occupy in a wind band. i typically think of the trumpet as a more alto-like voice. The sound isn't right to my ear.

Finally, I guess I don't see the point. Unless Eb or Bb trumpet just isn't on the table for some reason. I'd much rather hear a knock-out, thoughtful, in-tune Haydn or Hummel on a plain old trumpet than a mediocre one on anything else.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To poke a hole in your argument, it has been noted that the main difference between the modern trumpet and cornet is in the wrap - the modern trumpet is in some cases more conical than cornets. While there is probably a decent amount of difference in the sound difference of the cornet due to the shorter bell, from a sheer tubing perspective, modern trumpets are no longer truly cylindrical bore.

I did a quick Google-fu for the article where I'd read that, but I can't seem to find it. I hope I'm not misquoting it. but I think I got the gist of it right.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
To poke a hole in your argument, it has been noted that the main difference between the modern trumpet and cornet is in the wrap - the modern trumpet is in some cases more conical than cornets. While there is probably a decent amount of difference in the sound difference of the cornet due to the shorter bell, from a sheer tubing perspective, modern trumpets are no longer truly cylindrical bore.

I did a quick Google-fu for the article where I'd read that, but I can't seem to find it. I hope I'm not misquoting it. but I think I got the gist of it right.

You've got it exactly right. The leadpipe of a modern trumpet tapers, as does the bell. The only area that is cylindrical is the valve cluster, and sometimes the main tuning slide. In honesty, the same can be said of the modern cornet.

The difference is the degree of taper...that is, how much it tapers and how much it opens up over a specific distance. For example, the bell on a flugelhorn leaves the valve cluster at about the same size as the exit of a trumpet valve cluster, but the taper rate is far more rapid and the throat of the bell is substantially larger than the throat of most trumpet bells.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.robbstewart.com/difference-between-trumpet-and-cornet
Piccolo Stomvi
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got one question to ask; do you want it to b e authentic, or don't you care? It's that simple.

If you're a purist, then use an Eb trumpet (or other trumpet that gives you the same results.)

But there's a case that can be made for experimentation. In that case, why not uses a cornet? I personally think experimentation is fun.

But a lot depends on the expectations of the audience. I think it's all on them and your ability to sell a difference, when there is one.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
https://www.robbstewart.com/difference-between-trumpet-and-cornet

"Trumpet Schmumpet"
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be "authentic," play something like this:

Link

The modern Bb or Eb trumpet is no more or less authentic than a modern Bb or Eb cornet. They're close cousins, yet far-distant relatives from the natural trumpets and keyed trumpets that came before.

Choose the instrument you wish to play, and give your audience a good performance that they will enjoy.
Piccolo Stomvi
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hummel on Cornet? Reply with quote

TheBrassBandMajor wrote:

Apart from the question of cornet v. trumpet, I see a red light in your use of the word 'shamed'. It appears either to be used without thought, or, you have performance opportunities where judgement rather than performance/experience is the focus.

If this is the case, just go find somewhere else to perform! Such a toxic culture is not the place to be. Now, if I'm wrong, great. But I have seen, and been the victim of, such a culture and it sucks big time. It took a young, 13 year old me many years to get over.

As to which instrument, it really matters not at all. Learn the work, learn to play it in Eb on a Bb instrument. If you have an Eb trumpet/cornet/flugel, even better!

BUT, later, if you get serious about playing and performing, you will need to know about the works, performance practice of the day, current performance practices and thoughts, etc. in order to arrive at a standard which will recognised as an informed, authentic performance. That is to found on you tube, o a few books, but via a long period of playing, learning, listening, reading and above all, THINKING.

Enjoy the journey!

cheers

Andy
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hummel on Cornet? Reply with quote

andybharms wrote:
This has come up a couple of times recently. I think that there are a number of reasons using cornet is problematic. Others have said that we don't perform the instrument on a keyed trumpet anymore, so it doesn't matter, but I'm going to try and politely poke some holes in that argument.

First, the cornet is of a completely different lineage from the trumpet. Stylistically, Weidinger's trumpet would have been a bit of a gimmick, playing off of the audience's predispositions of what a trumpet is supposed to be and do, and both Hummel and Haydn wrote their music that way. Actually, Hummel's concerto was poking fun at the principale style; Haydn's, clarino. So I think the trumpet is the most appropriate instrument available to play these two works.

Second, the Eb cornet is most at home in a British brass band. It really occupies the role that, say, a flute or piccolo would occupy in a wind band. i typically think of the trumpet as a more alto-like voice. The sound isn't right to my ear.

Finally, I guess I don't see the point. Unless Eb or Bb trumpet just isn't on the table for some reason. I'd much rather hear a knock-out, thoughtful, in-tune Haydn or Hummel on a plain old trumpet than a mediocre one on anything else.

trickg wrote:

Yeah. Some of the innovations of the very early French Besson trumpets (pre-World War I) is essentially putting cornet-like features - conical bore tubing, tapered leadpipe on trumpets. The line between cylindrical-bore trumpet and conical bore cornets has been a bit fuzzy ever since. (which is fine, because it definitely improved the instrument)

Unless you're playing on a keyed trumpet, it's not particularly historically authentic. I suppose a valved "trumpet" is more slightly authentic than a valved "cornet" by a few percent - partially to do with the name, but that's less important that how you sound and play on a given horn.

TheBrassBandMajor wrote:

Andy Del wrote:
Apart from the question of cornet v. trumpet, I see a red light in your use of the word 'shamed'. It appears either to be used without thought, or, you have performance opportunities where judgement rather than performance/experience is the focus.

If this is the case, just go find somewhere else to perform! Such a toxic culture is not the place to be. Now, if I'm wrong, great. But I have seen, and been the victim of, such a culture and it sucks big time. It took a young, 13 year old me many years to get over.

Yeah. Hopefully, you just mean "shamed" by the trumpet purist police, in which case - who cares? (unless you're a post-grad trumpet student and your prof one of them) Seriously, they should have better things to do than bother eager young students about this stuff.

If you want to play it on cornet, go for it. Play it on the horn that it plays and sounds the best on. That's pretty much a good rule, always.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about playing musically, IMHO. If you sound best playing it on a purple strawberry-scented nose flute, who is to argue? It's music! We all got into music because it's fun.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: