• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chinese flugels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the flugelhorn bug bit me last year, the first thing I did was browse through eBay for flugelhorns. I saw a lot of attractive looking Chinese flugelhorns, but also noticed that those prices were increasing markedly over about 3 months. Because I am quite poor, I was reluctant to take a chance on even a $260 (out the door) instrument. It occurred to me that some Chinese flugelhorn customers must either have buyers remorse, or Sumy upgrade, & want to get some of their investment back, & would put their horns up for sale used. I couldn't find any whatsoever. Is it that few customers have buyers remorse?. Is it simply the hassle & risk of selling on eBay, prticularly not getting the same bulk shipping rates vendors do? You see those horns used for sale nowhere!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassguy wrote:
When the flugelhorn bug bit me last year, the first thing I did was browse through eBay for flugelhorns. I saw a lot of attractive looking Chinese flugelhorns, but also noticed that those prices were increasing markedly over about 3 months.

I see what look to be basically the same horn I got for even less than I paid for one.

Quote:
It occurred to me that some Chinese flugelhorn customers must either have buyers remorse, or Sumy upgrade, & want to get some of their investment back, & would put their horns up for sale used. I couldn't find any whatsoever. Is it that few customers have buyers remorse?. Is it simply the hassle & risk of selling on eBay, prticularly not getting the same bulk shipping rates vendors do? You see those horns used for sale nowhere!

I did a quick look and immediately saw two of them used on ebay right now. Sometimes you have to wait a bit. I sold one only because I didn't need two - got about double what I paid for it. No buyer's remorse on my part whatsoever.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(ETA: my first post from my phone. Quote function won't work? Grr. This is in response to the video at the bottom of the previous page)

I would say the playability of the horn is still on display, and remarkable. It speaks immediately, even though the player is quite unrefined (either cold and out of practice, new in a comeback, or a relative beginner) and can't himself produce a tone I consider desirable.

I say this based solely on having played for over 40 years, through about every condition imaginable: consistently well for long periods w/ ample practice getting paid and called back at age 11, struggling with various problems including teeth changing due to growth, injury and other issues, as well as simple neglect of decent practice habits,
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I would say the playability of the horn is still on display, and remarkable.

.looking over glasses at you

Clearly you're really dedicated to that notion.

Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
bassguy wrote:
When the flugelhorn bug bit me last year, the first thing I did was browse through eBay for flugelhorns. I saw a lot of attractive looking Chinese flugelhorns, but also noticed that those prices were increasing markedly over about 3 months.

I see what look to be basically the same horn I got for even less than I paid for one.

Quote:
It occurred to me that some Chinese flugelhorn customers must either have buyers remorse, or Sumy upgrade, & want to get some of their investment back, & would put their horns up for sale used. I couldn't find any whatsoever. Is it that few customers have buyers remorse?. Is it simply the hassle & risk of selling on eBay, prticularly not getting the same bulk shipping rates vendors do? You see those horns used for sale nowhere!

I did a quick look and immediately saw two of them used on ebay right now. Sometimes you have to wait a bit. I sold one only because I didn't need two - got about double what I paid for it. No buyer's remorse on my part whatsoever.

Wow, there were times when I frantically looked! Found nothing! Looks like I will sell my Hawk. Now that fewer & fewer are left they are going way up in price. Maybe I can get back some of my $ back. I paid $239 not including tax & shipping. My vendor immediately jacked up the price to $289. The other vendor has kept his at $259. What's a good asking price? Mine is 11 weeks played, no sign of wear & tear!
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassguy wrote:
Robert P wrote:
bassguy wrote:

Quote:

Wow, there were times when I frantically looked! Found nothing! Looks like I will sell my Hawk. Now that fewer & fewer are left they are going way up in price. Maybe I can get back some of my $ back. I paid $239 not including tax & shipping. My vendor immediately jacked up the price to $289. The other vendor has kept his at $259. What's a good asking price? Mine is 11 weeks played, no sign of wear & tear!

The market is saturated with Chinese flugels. Nothing seems to separate them or differentiate them. For a $239 investment, you might get you money back, but there are a zillion flugs on eBay for that price or more, or less. Why would somebody buy yours?

Maybe cut your losses, get what you can on a trade or just buy a new horn outright and worry about the $200 later, or chalk it up to a bad investment and move on.

I'd save up for a month or so and buy a good used name brand horn. Great buys show up all the time.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
razeontherock wrote:

Keep telling yourself that
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a John Packer (sp?) Flugels Sunday, at the Chicago hang. Surprisingly nice horn!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Robert P wrote:
razeontherock wrote:

Keep telling yourself that

Okay.

The guy can't find the pitch with both hands and a shovel, his tone is nervous and however he's mic'ing it - some kind of pickup system sounds like - presents his already poor sound in an uflattering light.

The explanation that's most obvious for your claiming you can hear quality is that you want to hear it because you know what horn it is. It presents none of the sound of the Bill Colletti recording. If you had heard it blind in a different context you'd say it sounds like crap. I bet you'd say something like "must be one 'a them cheap Chinese horns..."
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
..... But I just long for the days of great american and European workmanship and still have pride when something says "Made in the USA". .......

I tend to agree, but for me an exception would be a used Benge that has "USA" stamped on it.😉

Brad
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
So,e people's needs only warrant buying a Hyundai or a KIA. And they get from point A to B just fine.

Want a little more quality, better parts and labor, buy a Honda or a Toyota.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/kia-top-spot-initial-quality-j-d-power.html/

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36603772

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles/automotion-blog/5-car-quality-myths-busted

Benge.nut wrote:

.....see where I'm going with this?

Not really
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:
So,e people's needs only warrant buying a Hyundai or a KIA. And they get from point A to B just fine.

Want a little more quality, better parts and labor, buy a Honda or a Toyota.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/kia-top-spot-initial-quality-j-d-power.html/

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36603772

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles/automotion-blog/5-car-quality-myths-busted

Benge.nut wrote:

.....see where I'm going with this?

Not really

His point is still understood. No point argiung about car quality on a trumpet forum...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: