• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo Trumpet Quirks/tuning tendencies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Piccolo Trumpet Quirks/tuning tendencies Reply with quote

Hello,

I just picked up a piccolo and noticed the top of the staff G was WAY flatter than the middle space C along with some other tuning quirks. It got me wondering if the p7-4 I got wasn't one of the good ones.

So I'm wondering, what are some of the normal quirks and tuning issues that are common on all piccolo's?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picc's are evil.

If it's your first picc, don't panic. It can take a good while to get lined up. Until then it will torture you.

I've never heard of a P7-4 being bad. All the Schilke's I've played have been good or better.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpiece configuration has a big impact on intonation with a picc.
Piccolo Stomvi
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:

This. Play around with this a bit.

Are you sure that the G is flat, and that the low C isn't sharp? There are some quirks, but any Schilke will be one of the more in tune brands/models.

Piccs can be sensitive to mouthpiece depth. A C cup may be too deep and will be flat in the upper register. Too shallow and you could have the opposite problem.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F and G are flat on A piccolo. In fact, they are flat on all brass instruments, just more noticeable on piccolo. C is also sharp across the board. There's no easy fix, you just have to work with a tuner and practice buzzing the right note all the way through the instrument.
tuningbell470

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
dstdenis wrote:

Piccs can be sensitive to mouthpiece depth. A C cup may be too deep and will be flat in the upper register. Too shallow and you could have the opposite problem.

I think that this is partially true, although I use a 7C on piccolo with good results... I find that any flatness I have (besides the usual fourth space E, Eb and D) in the upper register is usually a support issue (ie software issue rather than a hardware issue) but that may just be me...

Spencer Heavyweight Bb
Stomvi Elite D/Eb
Yamaha Chicago C Gen 2
Yamaha 6810 Bb/A Piccolo
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuningbell470 wrote:
snichols wrote:
dstdenis wrote:

I think that this is partially true, although I use a 7C on piccolo with good results... I find that any flatness I have (besides the usual fourth space E, Eb and D) in the upper register is usually a support issue (ie software issue rather than a hardware issue) but that may just be me...

Yes, for me the depth is part of the issue, with the other part being length/backbore. Short trumpet mouthpieces with open backbores like Monettes, or cornet pieces are better in tune for me than their longer shanked trumpet counterparts.
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a stork 2P btw, which is pretty good I think. Eventually I'll probably get the monette equivalent to match my bigger mouthpieces but it works pretty well so far.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDude wrote:
I'm using a stork 2P btw, which is pretty good I think. Eventually I'll probably get the monette equivalent to match my bigger mouthpieces but it works pretty well so far.

That's what I use with my Stomvi picc. I find that, for me, the upper register is sharp while the lower register is flat. According to conventional wisdom, this means I should play a mouthpiece with a tighter backbore. Otherwise, I like the Stork 2P just fine. Mouthpiece safari for picc can seem like a never-ending journey...
Piccolo Stomvi
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I've never heard of a P7-4 being bad. All the Schilke's I've played have been good or better.

Ah, the Schilke C5.4 C piccolo has a low C which is so sharp you need to use 1&4 to play it. I even got in touch wth hte big man himself (Andrew) and confirmed this was the case and a deliberate part of the design. It was a trade off for other features like tone, playability and intonation where it couldn't be fixed.

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: