• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sub-$1000 Cornet Suggestions? Carolbrass/JP/Brasspire?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For a traditional cornet tone, I'd probably go with a Curry VC or something along those lines, but I'm not sure how well the Curry VC matches a modern short model cornet, and consider the Denis Wick a safer choice.

Funny you should mention that. Just last night I received a Curry VC.

The diameter is what you want (mine a 5); the rim is exceptionally comfortable, but man is it deep. Of course that's what contributes to the sound, which is great.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Carol 7770 Bb cornet,, in lacquer in like-new condition. In case $800 plus ship to Canada. Can provide pix.
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Crazy Finn"]There should be good choices for used Bb cornets for under a grand - even pro models.

I got my Bach 184L for less than a grand.
I got my Getzen Capri cornet for far less than a grand (nice horn, maybe technically not a pro model, but plays well).

I'd go on, but it's be embarrassing how many horns I have bought.

Good used pro model cornets, either still produced or vintage from yester-year, no problem for less than a grand.

Are you set on short model? Just wondering.[/quote]

I also bought a new Capri to go along with my Conn and an Olds ambassador cornet. I like the Capri very much for an intermediate horn. My trumpets are a Bach Strad and a Yamaha Vizzutti, and I can tell the capri is not quite at that level but it's very nice. My observation about the Capri that is a PLUS for me... it is very dependent on mouthpiece selection for tone, projection and endurance.

With a Wick 4 it is darker than some people on flugel... with the 5S, it sounds almost as bright as my trumpets. Getzen valve block is great, and a lot of value. I got mine in brushed brass for $800
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Bob Stevenson wrote:
I can't really comment on the "stuffiness" of any cornet against another,...certainly it IS true that American cornets have (usually) a big, open sound compared with those used in UK military and brass bands. Getzen cornets are very well made instruments with a very loud, dynamic sound envelope. However, here in the UK we have a high number of great cornet players who can demonstrate incredibly high levels of musicianship. The best of these people tend to use the Sovereign, or one of it's derivatives. I am not aware of any of the top group of cornet players using a Getzen or similar model, probably because, good as they are, they simply don't offer the musical characteristics required for virtuoso performance, despite the undeniably 'collected' sound envelope of the Sovereign types.

....It may well be that there IS a virtuoso soloist using a non Sov. type here but I am not aware of one.

When Getzen first launched the Eterna her in the Uk in the early 1970's it amazed Uk brass players as the instruments were very well made and presented with beautiful finish and excellent carrying cases. However, two features casued them to not make it into the top bands;......an incoherent sound texture and a different intonation set-up from Uk brands.

When we tested the Besson 1000 series in my own band we were surprised that there was very little musical difference compared to various Sov. models apart from less visual 'quality' and lack of triggers.

Maybe not your style of virtuoso but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elo0SPMo6qg

And yes, I own a cornet like this and IMO it's a great solo instrument.

Ole Edvard Antonsen would sound like himself on any cornet. That said, the cornet he is playing in the Napoli link above is Getzen Eterna with 1st slide trigger (old style Eterna - not made any more - perhaps available by special order?).
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more new Besson 1020 may be still available for under $600CAD at Tom Lee Music. Also, at the Tom Lee downtown Vancouver store they have a huge inventory of Wick cornet mouthpieces - both Classic and Heritage models - try the cornet together with the mouthpiece.
ajwan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
A few more new Besson 1020 may be still available for under $600CAD at Tom Lee Music. Also, at the Tom Lee downtown Vancouver store they have a huge inventory of Wick cornet mouthpieces - both Classic and Heritage models - try the cornet together with the mouthpiece.

Thanks, I also see Long&McQuaide has a huge selection too!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:

+1

I totally agree.

I'd try the Besson 1020 with a Denis Wick mouthpiece. In my opinion, the Besson 1020 is a nice cornet.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
ajwan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new twist in things; my 6 year old son is showing strong interest in my 9-year old daughter's cornet playing and wants to participate! He's torn between cornet and piano it seems. We'll have to see how this plays out. First time today trying out my daughter's Besson and he can hold a 3 second line-below staff C! Guess I won't be selling off the Besson then it seems!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajwan wrote:
Here's a new twist in things; my 6 year old son is showing strong interest in my 9-year old daughter's cornet playing and wants to participate! He's torn between cornet and piano it seems. We'll have to see how this plays out. First time today trying out my daughter's Besson and he can hold a 3 second line-below staff C! Guess I won't be selling off the Besson then it seems!

Great news, although I wouldn't let him start until he has his top and bottom adult front teeth, preferably his eight adult front teeth fully through.

I wouldn't suggest selling the Besson, as it is a nice cornet.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you would want to postpone parting away with your Eb - good players are hard to find.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajwan wrote:

Here's an option. Why not start him on piano, which will pay off in bundles later even if he switches instruments, with the option of switching to cornet when he's older if he wants to then?

The bad part, speaking as the father of a piano playing daughter, is that a cornet is much cheaper than a piano.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ajwan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
ajwan wrote:

Here's an option. Why not start him on piano, which will pay off in bundles later even if he switches instruments, with the option of switching to cornet when he's older if he wants to then?

The bad part, speaking as the father of a piano playing daughter, is that a cornet is much cheaper than a piano.

That is exactly what I was thinking. We do have a weighted-key yamaha keyboard which my daughter used for a couple of years until she started concentrating solely on her cornet. As for my son's case, we might as well start him off on the piano and let him occasionally "let off steam" on the cornet!
ajwan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Perhaps you would want to postpone parting away with your Eb - good players are hard to find.

I'm torn on this one. But alas, I'm not that good that's for sure, being a comeback player after a 22-year lay-off as originally a french hornist in high school. Have been an cornetist for effectively <6 months and struggling since!

Cheers,
Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: