• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Mt Vernon pieces

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Bach Mt Vernon pieces Reply with quote

Ok, I get it. There is some magic with Mt Vernon era Bach mouthpieces.

Can somebody PLEASE explain the insane premium cost for these? I understand they are no longer made, and we're possibly crafted by the old man Bach, but how different, or how much better are these pieces vs. fabrications or modern Bach pieces.

I've seen pricing recently for very good condition Mt Vernon Bach mouthpieces priced from a few hundred to upwards of $800 for a Bach 1C.....and was hoping somebody could educate me.

Thanks!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bach Mt Vernon pieces Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:

Not really, but some think so. There is no magic, only physics. And the fact you can't get a new one anymore drives the price up. Supply and demand is as powerful with trumpet toys as anywhere else.
Ragnarok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach Mt Vernon pieces Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:

Can somebody PLEASE explain the insane premium cost for these?

You said it yourself. There is some magic. If you are a professional making a living playing the horn, $800 is not that big of a deal if that gives you the sound and feel you want. Scarcity + mystique + great sounding pieces = $800+ prices. One went on eBay not long ago for over $1000.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I had no idea, I thought the prices were typos!!!

o_O 🤔
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach Mt Vernon pieces Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:

Can somebody PLEASE explain the insane premium cost for these? I understand they are no longer made, and we're possibly crafted by the old man Bach, but how different, or how much better are these pieces vs. fabrications or modern Bach pieces.

I've seen pricing recently for very good condition Mt Vernon Bach mouthpieces priced from a few hundred to upwards of $800 for a Bach 1C.....and was hoping somebody could educate me.

Thanks!
There's a collector interest component, especially for the 3C, 1 1/2C, 1 1/4C and 1C. Not a whole lot were made.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockford would have a much better idea than I would... but I doubt "old man Bach himself" made many mouthpieces himself during the Mt Vernon period?

I have a pre-corp NY6 which it's possible he would've made (though my knowledge of Bach history isn't extensive enough to do more than guess), but I can't imagine he was still cutting pieces by the time they moved to Mt Vernon?

Regardless... onto the proper topic...
I don't know about "magic" but I would certainly say that, for me, the very best Bach mouthpieces I've played have been either Mt Vernon's or no-dot Corp's (the earliest pieces post-Mt Vernon) - but having said that, I don't use any Bach's at all these days.

If I were in a situation where I was expected to use some kind of Bach (where using anything else might raise an eyebrow), especially if my income depended on it, I'd want the best Bach I could find - and that would probably be from that period.... if you want a size that lots of people want and that not many pieces were made (aforementioned 3C and bigger), the supply:demand ratio is going to make them very expensive.
ablazek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if they're so magical, who are the great living artists who currently play on these mythic relics?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ablazek wrote:
So, if they're so magical, who are the great living artists who currently play on these mythic relics?

Arturo Sandoval for starters - I believe it's a 1 1/4C now(?) though he's particularly famous for playing a 3C (which several makers offer clones of).
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ablazek posted:

If they're so magical, who are the great living artists who currently play on these mythic relics?

Chris Botti is another. He plays a 3C (with something like a 13 drill, or so I've read - hard to believe, actually).

Regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Ragnarok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ablazek wrote:

Off the top of my head:

Hunter Eberly, Detroit Principal, 1 1/2C
Conrad Jones, Indianapolis Principal, 3C
David Bilger, Philly Principal, 1 1/4C (I think it's a Mt. Vernon but not 100%)
I'd bet money the Pittsburgh guys play Mt. Vernon pieces, Chase Winkler on a 1C maybe?

It's much common to know what people's horns are I think, which is why you might not be aware of everybody that does.
Ragnarok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Quote:
ablazek posted:

If they're so magical, who are the great living artists who currently play on these mythic relics?

Chris Botti is another. He plays a 3C (with something like a 13 drill, or so I've read - hard to believe, actually).

Regards,
Grits

Last I talked to him he said a NY 3, different than a 3C. And he might have said 19 throat, whatever it was it was big. The shank of his mouthpiece is also slightly longer so he has to push his slide in more than usual.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replays fellas.

But this all just confuses me even more. Bach like other mouthpiece makers at the time were made by hand. And it seems very inconsistent. Just like more modern days of Bach.

So if there are such discrepancies between the same model of mouthpiece why would one specific piece be so desirable? I mean maybe it's good maybe not?

Or am off base, and the Mt Vernons were more uniformly consistent?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:

So if there are such discrepancies between the same model of mouthpiece why would one specific piece be so desirable? I mean maybe it's good maybe not?

They're desirable because there is a mystique about that era that makes people want them - particularly in sizes which are popular now and were not especially popular back then (eg: 3C and larger).

Because people want them, anyone holding one can ask a higher price... and because people want them, it's easier to buy one for a higher price knowing you'll be able to sell it again without loss even if you don't think it's any good.

I suspect that other makers copying Mt Vernon pieces (but very rarely copying Bach's from after Mt Vernon) is both a reaction to people who seem to want them.... and maybe reinforces the mystique to a certain extent.
I mean - why copy them if they're not better than the current ones? And at the same time, if they're desirable then there should be a market for copies?
(And around and around it goes?)

Quote:
Or am off base, and the Mt Vernons were more uniformly consistent?

Yes and no - my experience is that like Bachs from any other period, if you put two pieces side by side from a similar timeframe they'll be quite similar...
If you take 2 brand new pieces there won't be a huge amount of difference between them. If you take 2 "big letter" pieces there won't be a huge difference between them... same for the different "corp" "corp." "corp ." periods, same for the earlier mt vernons (with dots), same for the later mt vernons (without dots), same for the later NY's too.

It's not so much that Bach's are inconsistent, but that the designs seem to change over time such that if you compare pieces from different time periods they can be really quite different.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach mouthpieces being discussed above were made long before modern CNC equipment, on manual machines. No problem with that on the surface, but if you use the tooling all day, every day making mouthpieces, there is wear on that tooling. As it wears, the dimensions of the parts you are making change gradually as it happens. Discussions about this going back many years claim Bach ran the same fixtures until they were unusable before replacing them.

So, if you bought three 3C (or whatever) mouthpieces back then, that all came off the same machine on the same day, they'd be very close to each other. If bought three random ones from a store shelf, especially at different times, there was no telling what you'd get. One from the day the tooling was replaced for being worn out would be radically different from one made on the day it was replaced with a new one.

With modern CNC equipment, the control software measures and corrects for minute dimensional differences as the tooling wears. So, as long as the equipment is working properly and programmed well, every part made should be nearly identical.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Rockford would have a much better idea than I would... but I doubt "old man Bach himself" made many mouthpieces himself during the Mt Vernon period.
Vincent Bach continued to make changes and improvements to his mouthpieces right up until the time he sold the company. The "1960 model 7C" is a good example. Bach busied himself with R&D, quality control and running the business in his later years at Mt. Vernon. With literally millions of mouthpieces produced there's no way Vincent Bach could have worked as an actual craftsman on more than an occasional basis.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only because sizes like 1C and 3C were rare during the Mt. Vernon era. Killer Mt. Vernon 10 1/2 C's in good shape are 10 dollars on ebay usually.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
It's only because sizes like 1C and 3C were rare during the Mt. Vernon era. Killer Mt. Vernon 10 1/2 C's in good shape are 10 dollars on ebay usually.

This point just bolsters an argument I've made several times about modern trumpeters thinking that they NEED to play a Bach 1 or some variation of such a huge hunk of metal.

I am just astonished how this phenomenon has crept into the trumpet world over the last few decades:

Start on a 7C...when you get a little stronger, move to a 5C or a 3C...then when you are in college move to a 1C. This is the mantra from so many teachers and professors.....I just don't get it.

Then, if you play on a shallower cup, or smaller inside diameter...."those are cheater pieces...try playing that gig on a Bach 1C like me"

WHY would I want to work that hard for an opaque, often flat sound on a Bach 1 and get fatigued so quickly??

There's some weird machismo mindset with these classical players, that they've been brainwashed to think that they MUST have a Bach 1....there are like 20 more different rim sizes Bach made!!!

But have at em guys!! And good luck!!!!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
chapahi wrote:

This point just bolsters an argument I've made several times about modern trumpeters thinking that they NEED to play a Bach 1 or some variation of such a huge hunk of metal.

I am just astonished how this phenomenon has crept into the trumpet world over the last few decades:

Start on a 7C...when you get a little stronger, move to a 5C or a 3C...then when you are in college move to a 1C. This is the mantra from so many teachers and professors.....I just don't get it.

Then, if you play on a shallower cup, or smaller inside diameter...."those are cheater pieces...try playing that gig on a Bach 1C like me"

WHY would I want to work that hard for an opaque, often flat sound on a Bach 1 and get fatigued so quickly??

There's some weird machismo mindset with these classical players, that they've been brainwashed to think that they MUST have a Bach 1....there are like 20 more different rim sizes Bach made!!!

But have at em guys!! And good luck!!!!

Speculation alert.... perhaps it's that going against the flow gives some people doubts?

If they don't know any better, they feel more comfortable copying what everyone else is using and just making the best they can out of it... if it's what their teacher recommended they use (for the same reason - it's what XYZ pro uses, or it's what they've had successful students on in the past) then they feel more confident in just blindly going with what they're told than doing their own thing.

It might not be especially easy to get that kind of vicious cycle going, but once it does it takes some stopping...
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people do very well on large mouthpieces. One of the strongest classical players I know plays on a 1C rim. Others do better on smaller diameters. The trick is to know what YOU do better on, and then use that diameter.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnarok wrote:
Grits Burgh wrote:
Quote:
ablazek posted:

Regards,
Grits

Last I talked to him he said a NY 3, different than a 3C. And he might have said 19 throat, whatever it was it was big. The shank of his mouthpiece is also slightly longer so he has to push his slide in more than usual.

More info here: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67189
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: