• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

brass band cornet mouthpiece with 16C4-style rim?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: brass band cornet mouthpiece with 16C4-style rim? Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Your Y C4 has a trifle less diam. than 16,50 - obviously good for you (?) - so diam in that region; I´m a bit amazed you found the W 4B too cramped; could it be the rim/backbore?

Hi Seymor

The Yamaha 16C4 has a cup diameter of 17mm.

All the best

Lou

Indeed! Must have found an obscure site! Thanks!
Then a possible choice might be Wick Classic trumpet 1 1/2 C; Heritage?
Well, solo row? H 3 or 4B!
Its easy to fancy a beautiful sound -but, stubbornly, in the long run etc etc
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: brass band cornet mouthpiece with 16C4-style rim? Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Your Y C4 has a trifle less diam. than 16,50 - obviously good for you (?) - so diam in that region; I´m a bit amazed you found the W 4B too cramped; could it be the rim/backbore?

Hi Seymor

The Yamaha 16C4 has a cup diameter of 17mm.

All the best

Lou

Indeed! Must have found an obscure site! Thanks!

Hi Seymor

You are very welcome.

Take care

Lou

Then a possible choice might be Wick Classic trumpet 1 1/2 C; Heritage?
Well, solo row? H 3 or 4B!
Its easy to fancy a beautiful sound -but, stubbornly, in the long run etc etc

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
davidm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input everyone! Think I'm going to look at the curry 1.5 range - I'm guessing either a DC or a BBC; not sure I'm strong enough for the latter but I'll see if I can borrow one or the other before having to buy one.

I've just been told I'm playing soprano for one of the gigs soon...
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
Thanks for all the input everyone! Think I'm going to look at the curry 1.5 range - I'm guessing either a DC or a BBC; not sure I'm strong enough for the latter but I'll see if I can borrow one or the other before having to buy one. ...

Hi, All,

Haven’t really spent any time on TH in a while but just fell down a rabbit hole and ended up here.

Without responding to/rehashing previous comments and advice I’ll recount my BBB mpc search of several years ago …

Played Principal using an XA-1
Tried one or two Wick pieces – Nice tone/intonation/feel – hit a ceiling at D or E♭
Tried two Sparxx – Some intonation problems for me – ceiling above C
Ordered a Curry VC (Vintage Cornet) in my rim size at the time, 1¼, and a DC (Deep Cornet), the same. This was before Curry came up with the BBC mpc.

In skimming over the thread, I don’t remember seeing Curry’s VC mentioned, but it’s what worked for me. Smooth, even, beautiful tone, and no break up to high F (and probably more if needed)

I used the DC only a bit and only when I really need to “carry” more – outdoors, mostly, or certain solo situations. Not as “traditional” BBB sounding in the hands of a TRUMPET player as is the VC.

Somewhere I read – and it might be on the Curry site – that one might consider playing one size smaller than usual when using these deep, special-purpose mpcs. This might be worth considering.

(Also try the Curry SoundSleeve made for short-shank pieces like the VC)

Denny
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
Thanks for all the input everyone! Think I'm going to look at the curry 1.5 range - I'm guessing either a DC or a BBC; not sure I'm strong enough for the latter but I'll see if I can borrow one or the other before having to buy one.

Hi davidm

The Curry BBC cup is only the depth of around that of a Denis Wick B cup, so shouldn't be too hard to play.

Personally I prefer the TC to the DC, at least when I last tried them, which I have a feeling was on my previous 928 Sovereign rather than my current Yamaha Xeno (and I found that I liked different mouthpieces on both). My opinion was that the DC and TC sounded pretty similarly and played pretty similarly when played in the mid and lower registers and a reasonably quiet dynamic, but that the DC became over bright as I played higher and louder, whereas the TC retained the sound quality of the lower registers at quiet dynamics. Maybe this was just on the Sovereign, and my experience would be different on the Xeno.

Take care

Lou

I've just been told I'm playing soprano for one of the gigs soon...

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curry VC is a bit shallower than the BBC but has a bigger throat. The shape of the blank also makes it a bit more agile. I am using a VC on my Conn Victor, but it does not give me the sound I would be looking for for brass band.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
I am using a VC on my Conn Victor, but it does not give me the sound I would be looking for for brass band.

¿¿But, could any mpc give a BBB sound to an 81A (if that's the Victor to which you refer)?? That's trumpet territory, don't you agree?

Denny
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely my Alliance RM3 does but the instrument plays so flat i have to have the slide fully shut.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
charlieft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: brass band cornet mouthpiece with 16C4-style rim? Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
Does anyone make a short-shank cornet mouthpiece suitable for brass band front row work with the same rim configuration as a Yamaha 16C4 trumpet mouthpiece?

I'm having trouble finding a mouthpiece I'm happy with for playing cornet in a brass band.

How about a Shilke? They have the same codes... I have a Shilke 15C4 (cornet) piece to match my trumpet 15C4... played easily, but was too bright sounding for my purposes. They make a 16c4 also...

-Charlie
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: brass band cornet mouthpiece with 16C4-style rim? Reply with quote

charlieft wrote:
davidm wrote:
Does anyone make a short-shank cornet mouthpiece suitable for brass band front row work with the same rim configuration as a Yamaha 16C4 trumpet mouthpiece?

I'm having trouble finding a mouthpiece I'm happy with for playing cornet in a brass band.

How about a Shilke? They have the same codes... I have a Shilke 15C4 (cornet) piece to match my trumpet 15C4... played easily, but was too bright sounding for my purposes. They make a 16c4 also...

-Charlie

Hi

The opening post of this thread, partially quoted above dates back to Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 pm.

The OP posted on this forum on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:34 am, so may very well be around still, but has hopefully/presumably solved this issue.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: