• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where to list an ad to sell a horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBHouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Where to list an ad to sell a horn Reply with quote

From what I gather, the "marketplace" is not working or you cannot post ad's for sale, is this correct? Any good suggestion on where to list a vintage trumpet for sale. Where else can you get exposure, besides Ebay? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

BTW, just because I am a new member, does not make me a scammer. I was referred to the Trumpethearld from the Brass Masters in Seattle, WA. Was told this was a good list to list a trumpet for sale. Thanks again.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Where to list an ad to sell a horn Reply with quote

DBHouse wrote:
From what I gather, the "marketplace" is not working or you cannot post ad's for sale, is this correct? Any good suggestion on where to list a vintage trumpet for sale. Where else can you get exposure, besides Ebay? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you

The Market Place here on the Trumoet Herald is working fine. In order to prevent the Market Place just being a dumping ground with sales from anybody and everybody, they have instilled some parameters to try and ensure the community members are known as much as possible before posting.

I believe the current restriction requires five or so posts in the forum before the system lets you place an ad here.

Besides EBay, Craigslist and maybe selling the horn on consignment through a dealer, or using the trumpet herald and trumpet master forum...I can't think of any better options to sell a vintage horn.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Where to list an ad to sell a horn Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Besides EBay, Craigslist and maybe selling the horn on consignment through a dealer, or using the trumpet herald and trumpet master forum...I can't think of any better options to sell a vintage horn.

All good advice.

In addition, there are a few Facebook pages, each with around 7 to 10 thousand members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrumpetsForSale/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/trumpetmarketplace/

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Where to list an ad to sell a horn Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
DBHouse wrote:

The Market Place here on the Trumoet Herald is working fine. In order to prevent the Market Place just being a dumping ground with sales from anybody and everybody, they have instilled some parameters to try and ensure the community members are known as much as possible before posting.

I believe the current restriction requires five or so posts in the forum before the system lets you place an ad here.

Actually the five posts are required to ensure the person posting the ad is not a scammer. It requires more interaction that the scammers who were hitting the marketplace wanted to do.

It would be nice if the posters were well known, but that is not the reason behind the requirement.

Many first timers who want to post to the marketplace get upset about the requirement, but if you think about it, the requirement gives the seller an opportunity to introduce themselves and is relatively trivial.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably worth noting that most of the people that visit the marketplace regularly tend to avoid items for sale from people they don't recognize from the forum side of TH.

Too many liars, cheats and what have you these days to trust a 5 post wonder that wants you to send them $2500 for something. Your best bet is to hang around and get to know people and establish a bit of a presence beforehand anyway.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Where to list an ad to sell a horn Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

All good advice.

In addition, there are a few Facebook pages, each with around 7 to 10 thousand members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrumpetsForSale/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/trumpetmarketplace/

Mike

This. I've obtained horns from each one of those - I got a Eb/D from Trumpets for Sale/Trade, and I recently picked up a Sonare 800 from the trumpet marketplace on FB. A friend of mine just sold an Edwards Gen X trumpet on Trumpets for Sale/Trade.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Probably worth noting that most of the people that visit the marketplace regularly tend to avoid items for sale from people they don't recognize from the forum side of TH.

Too many liars, cheats and what have you these days to trust a 5 post wonder that wants you to send them $2500 for something. Your best bet is to hang around and get to know people and establish a bit of a presence beforehand anyway.

Five posts that tell who you are, who you know, where you went to school, where you have played, will go much further in getting people to trust you than five short inane posts.
DBHouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: where to list and ad to see a horn Reply with quote

Thank you for all the replies to my post, I appreciate the input. Never even thought of Facebook and I will look into that as well. Yes I have heard of Trumpet Masters, can also try that too. Craislist, is fine, but feel it will get more appreciation by being listed in a market where the clientele is centered around brass musical instruments.

I will go thru making post if that gains trust from other members. I respect that. I am not a player myself, and have my fathers trumpet and I am looking for a good home for it. It needs to belong in the hand of someone who plays music, that is what it was designed for. I know there are collectors out there of all kinds, so time will tell, and I will work on other post so that I can post in the Marketplace.

Thank you again for those of you who replied to my original post.
DBHouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy, Although I do respect your comment to my post -
I don't intend to hang out in the forum for the next 6 months to a year,
since I am not a trumpet player. Again, I was referred to list my trumpet for sale by Mike Paulson at the Brass Masters in Seattle,
WA. So I am following thru with that suggestion. If 5 post are required before I list the trumpet for sale, then I will follow those instructions. Not everyone is a liar and a cheat that has something for sale. In that case buyer beware no matter what you sell and where you sell it, and that goes for all of us, me included (as the seller).

Thanks again everyone, do appreciate your time on the replies.

RandyTX wrote:

snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBHouse wrote:
since I am not a trumpet player. Again, I was referred to list my trumpet for sale by Mike Paulson at the Brass Masters in Seattle,
WA. So I am following thru with that suggestion. If 5 post are required before I list the trumpet for sale, then I will follow those instructions. Not everyone is a liar and a cheat that has something for sale. In that case buyer beware no matter what you sell and where you sell it, and that goes for all of us, me included (as the seller).

RandyTX wrote:

That's very true, everybody starts somewhere with their posts, and many people are completely legit. Not everyone with only 5 posts is out to scam people. That being said, I'm one of those folks that avoids buying from people with only 5 posts. In that case, I would recommend using one of the other sales locations in tandem with the TH Marketplace (eBay, Facebook). At least on eBay there are protections built in that can give comfort to the buyer.

A compromise for selling on the TH Marketplace might be to offer to do the sale over Paypal's "Selling an item or service" feature, which is a bit more secure than the Friends and Family method. A sign of good faith might be to offer to cover the 3% fee that comes with that type of transaction. Just an idea...
DBHouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNichols, -- your suggestion is good one! I had planned on selling via Paypal and that will be noted in my listing in the Marketplace. I would also consider offering to cover the 3% fee or maybe shipping fees, who knows.

I plan to entertain various options (like suggested) to assist with selling the trumpet. I also plan to list this on my Etsy account as well, because I have MANY vintage items that will be in my Etsy store including this trumpet. But like I've said, I will post here for the very reason that it is specific to the item I will be selling. I may not get a single inquiry, because I am not a Veteran Member or a Heavyweight Member...But it can't hurt for me to try and give the trumpet some exposure in the appropriate market. Who knows, I might be wasting my time and I might find and interested party even though I am a newbie and a short timer. I will look at the FB pages too and the TrumpetMaster as well. The more exposure the better.

Thanks very much for your suggestion and I will be very specific in my ad about using PayPal.

Best,
Darci

snichols wrote:
DBHouse wrote:

RandyTX wrote:

That's very true, everybody starts somewhere with their posts, and many people are completely legit. Not everyone with only 5 posts is out to scam people. That being said, I'm one of those folks that avoids buying from people with only 5 posts. In that case, I would recommend using one of the other sales locations in tandem with the TH Marketplace (eBay, Facebook). At least on eBay there are protections built in that can give comfort to the buyer.

A compromise for selling on the TH Marketplace might be to offer to do the sale over Paypal's "Selling an item or service" feature, which is a bit more secure than the Friends and Family method. A sign of good faith might be to offer to cover the 3% fee that comes with that type of transaction. Just an idea...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: