• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can one safely fly with a Kronkhite super triple?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Can one safely fly with a Kronkhite super triple? Reply with quote

I mean in an airliner, of course- not with the case itself!
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't check any of my horns anymore. Especially in flights in the US.

As a carry on your horns will be fine. But I'd not even consider checking three horns on an airline, and ESPECIALLY not in the US.

And should you be flying United, and asked to give up your seat, I'd comply, grab my horns and VIDEO TAPE EVERYTHING!!! Might just make you a wealthy man
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't fly with mine. I have experienced damage to the bell of my C from the Bb making contact. The way the case is designed it pushes the bells towards each other over the apex of the flugel padding.

I talked to Glen, Cronkhite, and he said that in the forty years since he designed the bag this was the first time he had heard of this.

Anyway, mine is the nylon bag and due to the current experience and the lack of solid sides I would hesitate to take it on a plane.

YMMV.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting your case in an overhead compartment, that you monitored while placing, and made sure nobody is jamming their bags against yours ....I can't see any problems arising.

There is no more probablility of damage in an airplanes overhead compartment as there would be in the trunk of your car while driving.

If you make sure no slobs bang your bag with their stuff...you'll be fine.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more concerned about wether or not they let you take it into the cabin, gatechecking would NOT be an option. Ever.

Regarding United- I would wear american football-gear!
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Parker Natural
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
I was more concerned about wether or not they let you take it into the cabin, gatechecking would NOT be an option. Ever.

No problems with countless flights I've been on. I've always carried on my horns and another small computer bag. I just keep them slung over my shoulder, and try to be at the front of the line, so I can get good overhead space first.

And re: United.....America...Heck yeah!! We're flippin' crazy over here these days!!!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've flown with a leather single RB/Kronkite bag on any number of airlines for years with no problems. Of course, I use the carry on option and put the horn below the seat in front of me and between my feet. I guard it like a mother hen. As I say, no problems.

I'm more worried about the inspection at the entrance point. Watching these TSA guys examine my horn makes me very nervious. Once past that all is cool.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
I've flown with a leather single RB/Kronkite bag on any number of airlines for years with no problems. Of course, I use the carry on option and put the horn below the seat in front of me and between my feet. I guard it like a mother hen. As I say, no problems.

I'm more worried about the inspection at the entrance point. Watching these TSA guys examine my horn makes me very nervious. Once past that all is cool.

I've found TSA guys are like dumb animals, but can easily be calmed with kindness or a joke.

When going through the X-ray, I always say something like "Domt put to many gamma rays in my trumpets...or please don't make my horns glow in the dark!!" Etc...I always get a laugh, and theyve always been friendly.

I think their job is terrible, and they get grief all day long. So a little joke and a smile goes a long way.

Even in the jungles of JFK, or Chicago, BWI, LAX AND Miami....I can get a smile and easy movement with TSA inspections. If I get a pat down, more jokes and giggles do the trick as well.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Going on a two week tour next week with a symphony orchestra, Mahler 5 and the complete Firebird makes me need a piston and a rotary C, and I was thinking a little tax free in the middle compartment!
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Parker Natural
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been some bad press lately about airlines forcing players to check horns that they had planned to carry on. Once the horn is out of site all sorts of badness can happen. You could pack it to be indestructible only to find the case has been opened and the horn put back wrong, and mouthpieces loose in the instrument compartment. Frankly, I'm terrified about flying with my instruments and fortunately don't have to do it hardly ever.

I've also read that the airlines have special exclusions to their liability so they never pay for damage to instruments.

I traveled to a bowling competition once (don't judge me) with my gear in a hard case that I carefully reinforced with a sturdy nylon strap. Yeah, some goon removed the strap to inspect and didn't put the strap on right, just tying it into the word's crummiest granny knot. I kid you not, I actually watched it being loaded onto the plane when the case flipped open and one of the balls went rolling across the tarmac.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary. And criminal.
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Parker Natural
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid, traveling by plane was a much classier experience. The airports were clean, new and modern. Staff was friendly, and pasangers didn't go wild, and dressed with a bit of self respect.

Nowadays with all the police and military and TSA, and sniffer dogs, and the US airports and older airplanes falling apart, and passengers looking like homeless people....I feel like the modern US airports are more refugee camps than a traveling hub.

And the stewardesses on US domestic flights??? .....it ain't British Air or Virgin Airlines.

Quite a drag really. I've flown Emirates, Korean Air, Air Canada, Qatar, Turkish, Alaskan Air, Lufthansa...and probably some others I can't think of. And I'd put ANY one of those above the treatment and service I received on any US domestic flight.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
When I was a kid, traveling by plane was a much classier experience. The airports were clean, new and modern. Staff was friendly, and passengers didn't go wild, and dressed with a bit of self respect.

Yeah, but those biplanes only seated one passenger.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:
When I was a kid, traveling by plane was a much classier experience. The airports were clean, new and modern. Staff was friendly, and passengers didn't go wild, and dressed with a bit of self respect.

Yeah, but those biplanes only seated one passenger.

Nahhh us passengers were flying in Zeplins at that stage
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:

Doubt they would let you on dressed like that, but it'd be an interesting experiment to see.

Re: gig bag in the overhead, Chuck Mangione had his copper Calicchio smushed like that.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's risky. The first thing to consider is whether you have status on the airline. If you are not in one of the first groups to board there may not be (adequate) space in the overhead and the airline may insist that you gate check your horns, which would be a disaster.

Also, the Cronkhite triple is a great bag -- I have one -- but it is soft sided. Someone trying to jam their suitcase into the overhead next to your case could easily wind up damaging your horns.

Finally, if you fly on smaller aircraft there may not be room in the overhead for the bag, or room under your seat either.

If you have to travel with multiple horns I'd urge you to purchase a protective hard-sided case. They are expensive, but worth it in the long run.

Good luck.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:

The United States Code addresses the issue of taking musical instruments on airplanes as carry-on items. Here's the law:

United States Statutes

Title 49. TRANSPORTATION

Subtitle VII. AVIATION PROGRAMS

Part A. AIR COMMERCE AND SAFETY

Subpart II. ECONOMIC REGULATION

Chapter 417. OPERATIONS OF CARRIERS

Subchapter I. REQUIREMENTS

Current through P.L. 115-18

§ 41724. Musical instruments

(a) IN GENERAL.-
(1) SMALL INSTRUMENTS AS CARRY-ON BAGGAGE.-An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a violin, guitar, or other musical instrument in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage, if-
(A) the instrument can be stowed safely in a suitable baggage compartment in the aircraft cabin or under a passenger seat, in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator; and
(B) there is space for such stowage at the time the passenger boards the aircraft.
(2) LARGER INSTRUMENTS AS CARRY-ON BAGGAGE.-An air carrier providing air transportation shall permit a passenger to carry a musical instrument that is too large to meet the requirements of paragraph (1) in the aircraft cabin, without charging the passenger a fee in addition to the cost of the additional ticket described in subparagraph (E), if-
(A) the instrument is contained in a case or covered so as to avoid injury to other passengers;
(B) the weight of the instrument, including the case or covering, does not exceed 165 pounds or the applicable weight restrictions for the aircraft;
(C) the instrument can be stowed in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator;
(D) neither the instrument nor the case contains any object not otherwise permitted to be carried in an aircraft cabin because of a law or regulation of the United States; and
(E) the passenger wishing to carry the instrument in the aircraft cabin has purchased an additional seat to accommodate the instrument.
(3) LARGE INSTRUMENTS AS CHECKED BAGGAGE.-An air carrier shall transport as baggage a musical instrument that is the property of a passenger traveling in air transportation that may not be carried in the aircraft cabin if-
(A) the sum of the length, width, and height measured in inches of the outside linear dimensions of the instrument (including the case) does not exceed 150 inches or the applicable size restrictions for the aircraft;
(B) the weight of the instrument does not exceed 165 pounds or the applicable weight restrictions for the aircraft; and
(C) the instrument can be stowed in accordance with the requirements for carriage of carry-on baggage or cargo established by the Administrator.
(b) REGULATIONS.-Not later than 2 years after the date of enactment of this section, the Secretary shall issue final regulations to carry out subsection (a).
(c) EFFECTIVE DATE.-The requirements of this section shall become effective on the date of issuance of the final regulations under subsection (b).

Cite as 49 U.S.C. § 41724

Source: Added Pub. L. 112-95, title IV, §403(a), Feb. 14, 2012, 126 Stat. 84.

Notes from the Office of Law Revision Counsel

current through 2/13/2017

REFERENCES IN TEXT

The date of enactment of this section, referred to in subsec. (b), is the date of enactment of Pub. L. 112-95, which was approved Feb. 14, 2012.

Final regulations, referred to in subsecs. (b) and (c), were issued Dec. 29, 2014, effective Mar. 6, 2015. See 80 F.R. 161.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the Super Triple, but I've carried my Reunion Blues Triple Bag (a Cronkhite design) on many, many flights including a lot of international ones with no problem ever. That bag is designed to fit under the seat which is where I've almost always put it (I only have placed it in overheads on flights that are not full when it can have its own overhead bin).

If the Super Triple will fit under the seat in front of you (meaning you give up your leg room), I think it would be safe. And usually, I've been lucky enough to have the seat next to me empty so I just put my bag under that seat).

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, back home from a great fun tour. Salzburg Festspiele, La Scala, Freiburger Koncert hall,Konzerthaus in Vienna, Alte Oper in Frankfurt and Tonhalle in Zürich.

A LOT of traveling in two weeks both by plane and train, including a fantastic charter flight between Basel and Vienna where the captain insisted on showing the band the mountain Groß Glockner, taking us down to 5000 meters (the mountain itself is 3798 meters high!) and flying two full circles around the mountain so everyone could see(!!!).

I didn't use my super triple, but the "normal" triple.

Best choice I've made. that bag fits under the seat or above without problems, and not being full of padded blocks or modelled to fit one specific kind of trumpets, I travelled easily with one piston C, one rotary C and one rotary Bb along with a SB mute with electronics, whisky bottles, dirty laundry (some days the suitcases went ahead of us by truck), snacks, a complete set of Bb slides to the piston Bb (I always warm up on a Bb, and these slides works like a charm, especially after being converted to my Malone C).

Not a single dent on any horn, although by judging what I packed into that bag, I could easilly be named "the enemy from within"....
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Parker Natural
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to take a gig bag on a flight, there is nothing close to the Glenn Cronkhite quality and durability. The foam is much more dense that anything I've seen from China.

Additionally, I'm not sure too many people know this yet, but Torpedo Bags bought Glenn Cronkhite Custom Cases.

We made the first bunch of his triple bags last week and this, and singles the week before. We are taking orders (sort of -- not everything he designed just yet), shipping a few this week and will get the new website rolling soon. There are a few things we'll improve on, including some of the hardware. He didn't always use YKK zippers (mostly, he did), but we will.
612-849-3574
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: