• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CSO now open

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
One thing that is certain and that is there are very few in the world who are qualified for that chair.
R. Tomasek

Wait, I have read enough on TH to realize it is all about the equipment. So, the winner will be playing the Yamaha Chicago
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can the winner of the audition expect to earn assuming a 2 year trial? I suppose the CSO minimum + some percentage?

Assuming all goes well and a full time position is awarded, would the pay be significantly greater than during the trial?

Mutti makes millions, no? You figure they could pay the top bugler pretty well.

Is it possible that some principal members make north of $300/400/500 per year?

Does it depend on instrument?
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roccotrumpetsiffredi wrote:
What can the winner of the audition expect to earn assuming a 2 year trial? I suppose the CSO minimum + some percentage?

Assuming all goes well and a full time position is awarded, would the pay be significantly greater than during the trial?

Probably not. I would speculate in the 200s somewhere. 300s max. Yes, the music director can make 7 figures, but the concert master is going to be the next highest earner with the other principals following. There's probably someone here that can speak to it more accurately...
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
Maybe, but most players do not have every piece in the repertoire at "audition level" at all times. It is really difficult to keep 40 or more plates spinning at one time, particularly when the list is general and not specific passages. You end up with a huge list played pretty well instead of a reasonable list played exceptionally well. One theory for the long list is to discourage weaker or inexperienced players from applying, but you may end up weeding out great players that have jobs that preclude them from simultaneously working up an enormous list while performing the duties of their current job. If you are thoughtful enough in constructing a list, you can quickly determine the quality of the candidate. The CSO has a couple of strategic excerpts on this list to identify the players most qualified for this job, but they've also given folks a shot at making a great impression by not making the list oppressively long. Given this strategy, "pretty good" isn't going to cut it. Everything is going to have to be excellent or better.

This is quite true, but I remember an associate principal audition for a local orchestra when I was in college. The except list was pretty big: about 30 excerpts! So many, that during a lesson ( I was having with the principal trumpet) another colleague dropped by to ask (complain) (have a whine) about how many excerpts there were.

I vividly recall my teacher arranging some 5 trumpets around him, and then proceeding to play each excerpt in order, along with a brief commentary on what he expected to hear. It was note perfect. The explanations were crystal clear as well.

Wish I could do that with... well, any list!

cheers

Andy
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:

Probably not. I would speculate in the 200s somewhere. 300s max. Yes, the music director can make 7 figures, but the concert master is going to be the next highest earner with the other principals following. There's probably someone here that can speak to it more accurately...

Thanks for the reply. I recall reading Phil Smith was making approx 385k towards the end of his career, perhaps some article. The few recent articles I've read simply say principals can make a lot more.

Is there a way to look this up on a publicly available source?

Cheers
sweet-ribs chamberlain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since American orchestras are all non-profit organizations their tax returns are publicly available. Try looking the form 990 for your favorite orchestra. The top 10 paid non-administration positions are listed. I use guidestar for this.

Sweet-ribs
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers

Yes. I believe it's IRS form 990. Non-profit groups are required to file and this is public information. What I've found online is generally a year or two behind.

One item listed is the 5 highest paid members of the organization. I seem to recall looking at NY Phil and those 5 included Concertmaster, Phil Myers, Phil Smith (don't recall the other two). If principal trumpet isn't in the top 5 it's not available on that form
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this elsewhere and couldn't resist about the CSO opening. I couldn't figure out an incantation to make the forum software render it inline, but here's a link.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18198478_10156031298328362_65746797011710733_n.jpg?oh=3e32f39de13cf6b65b02d1b2a8e7e8b6&oe=5975C943
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH wrote:
Cheers

Yes. I believe it's IRS form 990. Non-profit groups are required to file and this is public information. What I've found online is generally a year or two behind.

One item listed is the 5 highest paid members of the organization. I seem to recall looking at NY Phil and those 5 included Concertmaster, Phil Myers, Phil Smith (don't recall the other two). If principal trumpet isn't in the top 5 it's not available on that form

Thanks
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how many contestants are entered in this trumpet decathalon?
George Coble
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the mention by Jaysonr- “It’d be cool to see Phil Smith in the chair…”

The last time I talked to Phil about the principal chair in the Chicago Symphony, his only comment was a cryptic “They have mighty cold winters there….”

Take this with the simple truth that retirement is a totally underestimated state of nirvana. Combine with this are the facts that once one has the chance to step away from practicing all those many hours every day for year after year, adding to that the ongoing onslaught of continuously brutal orchestral programming, following that with the guarantee of the day to day unkindnesses found in a typically competitive brass section one doubts that anyone would go through the process of retirement only to hop right back into the frypan. Fortunately, Phil Smith’s golden toned legacy has been assured for decades and one can absolutely believe he has payed his last (and final) union work dues.

There are precious few trumpeters available who could adequately cover the immense responsibility inherent with the Chicago Symphony’s storied principal trumpet position. And, it is likely this process will take some time………

Good luck to all.

George Coble
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
MrClean wrote:
Maybe, but most players do not have every piece in the repertoire at "audition level" at all times. It is really difficult to keep 40 or more plates spinning at one time, particularly when the list is general and not specific passages. You end up with a huge list played pretty well instead of a reasonable list played exceptionally well. One theory for the long list is to discourage weaker or inexperienced players from applying, but you may end up weeding out great players that have jobs that preclude them from simultaneously working up an enormous list while performing the duties of their current job. If you are thoughtful enough in constructing a list, you can quickly determine the quality of the candidate. The CSO has a couple of strategic excerpts on this list to identify the players most qualified for this job, but they've also given folks a shot at making a great impression by not making the list oppressively long. Given this strategy, "pretty good" isn't going to cut it. Everything is going to have to be excellent or better.

This is quite true, but I remember an associate principal audition for a local orchestra when I was in college. The except list was pretty big: about 30 excerpts! So many, that during a lesson ( I was having with the principal trumpet) another colleague dropped by to ask (complain) (have a whine) about how many excerpts there were.

I vividly recall my teacher arranging some 5 trumpets around him, and then proceeding to play each excerpt in order, along with a brief commentary on what he expected to hear. It was note perfect. The explanations were crystal clear as well.

Wish I could do that with... well, any list!

cheers

Andy

No offense, Andy, but I can do pretty much the same thing in the safety of my practice room, too. That does not make me audition (or performance) ready. Doing it on stage for an audition committee or a paying audience is another matter entirely. You've got to get it to where it is great under the worst of circumstances.
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
No offense, Andy, but I can do pretty much the same thing in the safety of my practice room, too. That does not make me audition (or performance) ready. Doing it on stage for an audition committee or a paying audience is another matter entirely. You've got to get it to where it is great under the worst of circumstances.

This is 1000% correct.
trptjoe

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first round of candidates auditioned this morning. No scoop yet as to which solo/excerpts were requested.
Joe
trptjoe

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how many contestants are entered in this trumpet decathalon?

A few have dropped out of the running (which is normal). Next Monday's auditions were supposed to start at 10:00 am, but, due to cancellations, it will start at 11:00 am. Later is better!
So far 15 people have auditioned; there is one more day of preliminary auditions (June 15th). The finals are scheduled for June 19th.

Joe

Last edited by trptjoe on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Maid of the Mist

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: It'd be cool to see Phil Smith Reply with quote

I think George Coble makes some very significant points. Retirement can really be a blessing. In addition to unkind and gratuitously competitive colleagues, and the grind of the schedule, there are other unglamorous aspects of the job. Uninspiring or downright hostile conductors are certainly not fun, and the mind numbing repetition of standard classical rep over the decades. As a section player of nearly 40 years, I can certainly tell you that your 50th rehearsal of the Eroica Symphony with a less than insightful guest conductor who stops constantly with nothing important to say can make you stare at the clock for sure.

That being said, orchestral life is a great privilege, but there is a time to move on.
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news going into the finals?

So it will be hughes & hooten and anyone advancing from the prelims?

Good luck to all still in it!

Btw thanks for the earlier info Joe.
Ragnarok

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody advanced from prelims.
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe Mohan didn't get thru!

DB
javialcaraz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who won?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: