• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cronkhite the Ultimate Gig Bag and Why

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I'm still too chicken to use a gig bag, but it's good to see that one of the best will still be available.

Hey Steve: think you could fit some sort of nice Outlaw-like interior into those to increase protection? Probably be pretty difficult, I guess.

Brad
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Glen about ten years ago when my 1978 reunion blues single needed
its third and last zipper. i too found out about the original dude from RB making cases under his own name.

I searched and found his info and contacted him. as I am originally from northern California i scheduled a trip to meet him on a trip to visit my mom. in fact I sent him the case to be repaired and dropped by to pick it up at his house / workshop. what a cool cat!

he explained to me that my bag could no longer have its zippers replaced as the leather had been perforated too many times as well as they almost didn't get it put back together. I figured it would just become a smaller bag next time. i thanked him for keeping my bag alive. I do still use it too!

so being there I saw some cool bags and decided to have him custom make one for me with custom colors. what I had to have was a zipper that closed at the bell and not on the bottom at the bell bow. he told me that he changed his design years ago and the new zipper only allowe for a bottom closure.

I decided to get a rotory trumpet case instead that had the zipper the way that I wanted it. this case has turned so many heads and is so bad assed!
it is really compact and very small but not all of my horns fit in it so of of course I asked him to make me another one just a bit longer with a different set of custom colors. another hit! it gave me another excuse to stop by to hang too.

last year I sent him some pictures of some mouthpiece pouches that I had made and told him that he was the inspiration for me making them but
I was sad to get an email from him telling me that he'd be retiring soon and I really was hoping to order another case just to say that I got one of the last ones but I never hit around to it.

I was hoping to drop in in march when I was really close to Berkeley but I ran out of time.

Glen was the real deal of american craftsmen. he told me that working with leather was just murder on his hands and I can attest to that as it really does take some hand strength to flip leather inside out and.

I will personally miss him and his bags and will make it a point to pop over for a visit.

ron
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: