• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warm and bright in one?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yugga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Warm and bright in one? Reply with quote

Really like the look of schagerl jm1. warm if played softly but sizzles with more air. fairly open. I am on a very small budget though! any suggestions for something cheaper? I'm still very amateur! currently play a fasch 505 pocket which is same as pocket maxx and a cheapie Chinese Windsor horn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Warm and bright in one? Reply with quote

yugga wrote:
Really like the look of schagerl jm1. warm if played softly but sizzles with more air. fairly open. I am on a very small budget though! any suggestions for something cheaper? I'm still very amateur! currently play a fasch 505 pocket which is same as pocket maxx and a cheapie Chinese Windsor horn

Getzen Eterna Severinsen or the newer Eterna 900 Classic which is a reproduction. On the older horns be on the lookout for red rot in the leadpipe which is a common problem if the horn wasn't cared for diligently. The leadpipe can be replaced but just be aware it's about $120 by the time it's plated - you can't just buy one, you have to go through a repair shop that has an account with Allied Parts, and then the cost of replacing it if you don't DIY, and factor into the price of the instrument. The pipes come assembled with a finger hook and mp receiver.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of "budget" do you have in mind?

I love lightweight horns. I think it's easy to warm up the sound of a bright horn, but harder to brighten up the sound of a dark heavy horn.

Are you looking to buy a new horn, or are you open to a used horn?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fasch 505 is in fact a very good pocket trumpet, same as LA Sax, Pocket Max and a few more. They were made by Hoxon Gakki, so they are in essence a Carol Brass horn.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a Sonare TRC 800 that is much the same way - very warm sound, but brighter than I thought it would be. Plays well though.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with the above - if you can find a used Sonare (the 800 OR the 400), they'll generally be pretty cheap and play much better than their pricetags suggest.
yugga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Warm and bright in one? Reply with quote

still in production?

Robert P wrote:
yugga wrote:

Getzen Eterna Severinsen or the newer Eterna 900 Classic which is a reproduction. On the older horns be on the lookout for red rot in the leadpipe which is a common problem if the horn wasn't cared for diligently. The leadpipe can be replaced but just be aware it's about $120 by the time it's plated - you can't just buy one, you have to go through a repair shop that has an account with Allied Parts, and then the cost of replacing it if you don't DIY, and factor into the price of the instrument. The pipes come assembled with a finger hook and mp receiver.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Warm and bright in one? Reply with quote

yugga wrote:
still in production?

Robert P wrote:
Getzen Eterna Severinsen or the newer Eterna 900 Classic which is a reproduction.

The Eterna Classic 900s is in production, the Severinsens are pretty abundant in various conditions. They're on Ebay all the time - again be on the lookout for red rot - the obvious external symptom is visible blistering of the plating. Even if it's not visible I would definitely specifically ask something on the order of "is there any pitting visible in the leadpipe?" The horn may be otherwise in good shape, just be aware there's going to be additional cost to replace the leadpipe. Also, the leadpipes that are available now which are the same as what's now on the Eterna Classic 900s look slightly different than the originals in that the finger hook is different. Also make sure you can see pics of the valves - a big part of the appeal of the Severinsens - and the newer horns - is the valves. If they're worn, that's a also a consideration.

There was also an Eterna that wasn't a Classic 900s, supposedly not as good a horn as the Severinsen or the Classic 900s, though I don't know what the specific differences are.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used Kanstul 1600 ... awesome trumpet with great warmth and Sizzle.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
yugga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mainly lightweight horns?
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yugga wrote:
mainly lightweight horns?

I think folks find that like I said, it's easier to make a brighter horn warm, instead of trying to brighten a dark heavy horn.

Standard or lightweight Yamahas, Kanstul ( or any Kanstul made horn mostly) , Benge, Getzen, Lightweight Bach, are easily and readily available used.

Best bang for your buck might be a Getzen Eterna, Seveinson would be my first choice from the 70s vintage or a good LA Benge 3X or 5X.

I prefer cylindrical horns as opposed to any step bore or conical bore trumpets, and standard tuning slide instead of reversed. Straight bore and standard tuning slides have a more compact centers sound, and aren't as dark or tubby to my ears.

And with a deeper mouthpiece and open backbore any of those horns can get as warm and dark as you'd ever need.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated above, don't forget how much the mouthpiece enters into this. A good example is Trent Austin's recent video on his website (Austin Custom Brass), demonstrating the Edwards he has just acquired and is selling. BIG difference in sound with different mpces.

Brad
yugga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
As stated above, don't forget how much the mouthpiece enters into this. A good example is Trent Austin's recent video on his website (Austin Custom Brass), demonstrating the Edwards he has just acquired and is selling. BIG difference in sound with different mpces.

Brad

great.sounding horn! not heard of Edwards? Any of the john packet or carol brass fit the Bill?
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

Brad

That horn is so good I have decided to keep it and sell another in my collection. Really impressive!
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

That horn is so good I have decided to keep it and sell another in my collection. Really impressive!

Aha, I knew it, darn selfish trumpet hoarder!😉😉

Brad
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
TrentAustin wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Aha, I knew it, darn selfish trumpet hoarder!😉😉

Brad

Perks of the job, I guess. A blessing and a curse (expensive passion of mine).
-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: horns Reply with quote

Not sure if the Yamaha 'Z' horns have been brought up.

There's certainly a lot of players using them for lead work, but they're versatile horns. Check out Ron Stout's playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRhNDRCX6bE
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus 2 on the Getzen Severinsen Eterna. You just can't go wrong with this trumpet. It will sizzle when needed and will blend nicely when played to blend. Use a big MP such as a 1C and the large bore tuning slide, and you'll have a nice all around sound that you can use anywhere. I just happen to know someone who has one for sale. It's been nicely refurbished with a new Getzen leadpipe, sonic cleaning and new silver. PM me for more Info.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
yugga

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HornnOOb wrote:
Plus 2 on the Getzen Severinsen Eterna. You just can't go wrong with this trumpet. It will sizzle when needed and will blend nicely when played to blend. Use a big MP such as a 1C and the large bore tuning slide, and you'll have a nice all around sound that you can use anywhere. I just happen to know someone who has one for sale. It's been nicely refurbished with a new Getzen leadpipe, sonic cleaning and new silver. PM me for more Info.

Could it be you?! PM Me details although I am in London UK.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand things correctly you play a pocket trumpet but want a trumpet that sounds richer in the staff but can also play well in the upper register with some sizzle.

The pocket trumpets I have seen appear to have difficulty in this very area you describe.

Maybe moving to a conventional trumpet would offer what you want rather than a more exotic instrument like a schagerl. It might worth play testing some affordable trumpets to see if they can deliver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: