• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Quality flugelhorn?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
trickg wrote:
I had a lacquered Kanstul 925 for a number of years that I loved. I sold it because at the time I wasn't using it, and I wanted cash for another project. I've kicked myself ever since.

There's a silver plated one on the marketplace now at a very reasonable price. If it was lacquer, I'd be taking a hard look at it.

Benge.nut wrote:
You know for decades I thought my flugels needed to be lacquer. I think, I thought lacquer was definitely a darker sound. I don't know if it was a visual thing or what.

But my current and last fluegelhorns are silver plate and I LOVE playing them. The sound is still dark, but the response is faster and I like the way it records.

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
The overtone series is primarily dictated by the bell flare, and the player, not the finish.

Yeah. I have a Yamaha 731 - which is silver. If you think that silver is too shiny for a flugel - visually, then just leave it out and don't polish it. It'll look like something that could be at an antique store or on the wall at Applebees (insert local/chain bar/restaurant here) in no time - mine certainly does. Plays nice, though.

Do you know of a way to arrest tarnishing when you want? (Otherwise it keeps getting worse, more difficult to remove without damage, and you have to get it back to bright anyway)
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Yeah. I have a Yamaha 731 - which is silver. If you think that silver is too shiny for a flugel - visually, then just leave it out and don't polish it. It'll look like something that could be at an antique store or on the wall at Applebees (insert local/chain bar/restaurant here) in no time - mine certainly does. Plays nice, though.

razeontherock wrote:
Do you know of a way to arrest tarnishing when you want? (Otherwise it keeps getting worse, more difficult to remove without damage, and you have to get it back to bright anyway)

Other than just putting it away rather than leaving it out on the countertop of my laundry room when not being played, ah... no. Not really.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a fair amount of good flugelhorns in my time - maybe not as many as some of you, but a good amount. Last year, I spent some time listening to all Trent's flugelhorn clips on the Austin Custom Brass site. The sound that stood out to me the most was the Manchester Brass Pro flugel model. A few weeks later, I happened to see one on the marketplace for a very good deal. I think I paid like $750 or something! This is my most favorite flugelhorn I've ever played and everyone I work with loves it. To me, it's like playing a really, really good Couesnon flugel from the 50's/60's.. It just does everything I want it to. Just a beautiful, beautiful sound and so easy to play. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quality vintage flugel that went undersold, likely due to the title -- not the time to abbreviate or interject with attributes...

Olds Rose Brass Bell Flugel with original case
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scipioap wrote:
Here's a quality vintage flugel that went undersold, likely due to the title -- not the time to abbreviate or interject with attributes...

Olds Rose Brass Bell Flugel with original case

Those were awesome horns. Very underrated in today's circles of players. Somebody got a great deal on a heck of a horn. I've always drooled over getting a Clark Terry model but it's never happened for me.

If the choice was $400 for a used Olds or some new Chinese flug...there'd be no question for me. I'd scoop up that Olds immediately
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: