• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

drone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flueskum

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: drone Reply with quote

how do you guys work on intonation with a drone ? Scales or arpeggios ?
im very interested
Thanks for the info !
Flueskum
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Tuning CD as instructed - long tones and slurs - as I've only started using it over the last month or so.
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with the strongest harmonics, root, octave, 5th, then 4th 3rd 6th, then the 2nd and 7th. Once you can place all of those notes correctly, add the minor intervals. Once you can place them work diatonic and chord tone intervals, then other interval studies.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drboogenbroom wrote:
Start with the strongest harmonics, root, octave, 5th, then 4th 3rd 6th, then the 2nd and 7th. Once you can place all of those notes correctly, add the minor intervals. Once you can place them work diatonic and chord tone intervals, then other interval studies.

Kevin

^This. There are some good youtube video examples available. For example, here's a violinist showing how he works with a drone--similar to the approach described by Kevin.
Piccolo Stomvi
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the drone. I use it more for improvisation though and of course intonation is within that.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff!
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it when doing the Cichowicz long tone studies, Schlossberg long tones, arpeggios, lip slurs and mouthpiece buzzing and/or lead pipe playing.

In general, I set it to the key of the exercise. For the Schlossberg, I set it to perfect 5ths from concert F ranging across 3 octaves or so and do the first long tone study so it ends up as 4th to major 3rd, major 3rd to minor 3rd, etc then octave, major 7, min 7 etc.

I use a keyboard connected to an iPad run through speakers, and use the sustain pedal to hold. Set to a string sound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good way to whack innocent bystanders from all reports.
may i ask what a drone is in this context??
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
good way to whack innocent bystanders from all reports.

Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_(music)

You will need to cut and paste - this BBS gets confused by the '(' and ')' - which really are part of the wikipedia link

Gary.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice moderately slow scales and arpeggios, simple tunes, and musical passages against it.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice intonation and tone (because they go hand in hand) from the moment you touch the trumpet until you put it down, and then by singing, playing piano, listening and everything else musical that you do.

Intonation should be a component of everything you play - you don't forget it when decide to work on say, putting the right buttons down, or mutliple tonging, or range, or solos, or excerpts.

AND the same thing can and should be said about time and rhythm(s).
Retired Air Force Bandsman

Last edited by zaferis on Fri May 05, 2017 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these for scales played really slowly, basically long tone flow studies.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-DyGoFkAJ1GRwBhUD4AOTewsr6l-x8qe

and i use these when i practice arpegio stuff in the circle of fifths, slurred, tongued, whatever obviously a lot quicker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77NCZErdGO4

its kind of meditative.

regards,

tom
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

A sustained note, which in this context is usually produced by some sort of electronic device (tuner, tuner app on a smartphone). Practicing with a drone is a good way for musicians to do ear training and improve pitch awareness so they play better in tune.

For example, if I'm practicing a tune in G minor, I could turn on a drone playing a G. While I'm practicing the tune, I'd listen carefully to compare each note I'm playing with the drone to try and make the intervals sound in tune. To mix things up a bit, I might decide to set the drone to D see if I can get my ear used to playing proper intervals against that.

I use the Tonal Energy Tuner app on my iPhone; this app has a feature that lets me play drone pitch(es) in various octaves. I can select the instrument that plays the drone, such as trumpet, for example.
Piccolo Stomvi
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tunable is a great app as well.
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:

A sustained note, which in this context is usually produced by some sort of electronic device (tuner, tuner app on a smartphone). Practicing with a drone is a good way for musicians to do ear training and improve pitch awareness so they play better in tune.

For example, if I'm practicing a tune in G minor, I could turn on a drone playing a G. While I'm practicing the tune, I'd listen carefully to compare each note I'm playing with the drone to try and make the intervals sound in tune. To mix things up a bit, I might decide to set the drone to D see if I can get my ear used to playing proper intervals against that.

I use the Tonal Energy Tuner app on my iPhone; this app has a feature that lets me play drone pitch(es) in various octaves. I can select the instrument that plays the drone, such as trumpet, for example.

Where in the TE tuner app is the drone pitches? I have this app downloaded on my phone, but have been using iStroboSoft for my tuner.
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Carol Brass 5000L (backup)
Kanstul 1510C with Copper Bell
Brasspire Piccolo
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtremetrumpeter wrote:
dstdenis wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:

Where in the TE tuner app is the drone pitches? I have this app downloaded on my phone, but have been using iStroboSoft for my tuner.

Menu bar at the bottom of the screen. The second button is Sound; that's the drone feature.
Piccolo Stomvi
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
xtremetrumpeter wrote:
dstdenis wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:

Menu bar at the bottom of the screen. The second button is Sound; that's the drone feature.

Thanks!
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Carol Brass 5000L (backup)
Kanstul 1510C with Copper Bell
Brasspire Piccolo
ttrumpett

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a drone while working on arpeggiated I-V7 chords, as found in the efficiency studies in John Daniel's method. I put the drone on the fifth scale degree of a key (concert F in the key of Bb for example) and play the exercises as written and with some small variations, like in minor keys, starting on the highest pitch, articulated, etc. For tempo, I play as fast as I can in order to hear my pitch lock in. Sometimes it is a sixteenth note, if I'm lucky, and sometimes it takes quite a while to find. To guide myself, I listen for the resultant tones to be full and unwavering. I usually start these exercises quietly yet comfortably and gradually decrease volume to a slightly uncomfortable level. Having the drone on the fifth makes all notes, except the seventh of the V, either a perfect interval or a maj/min 6th or 3rd away. I have found that doing this has given me increased ability to match others. I hope this may also help someone else!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: