• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Got my first child-resistant valve oil bottles!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:
1jazzyalex wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:
How did I ever survive being a kid in the 70s with out all these government regulations?!?!?!

Do you mean:
Eating actual (gasp) sugar, red meat and white flour, and God-forbid a peanut? Shooting a BB gun? Riding a bike without a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and a portable first aid kit? Drinking water out of a garden hose? NOT getting a trophy for just showing up and "participating" in a ball game? Watching "violent" Road Runner cartoons? Sneaking a look at a Playboy magazine and NOT becoming a sex offender?
😉

Brad

Yep had the BB gun, a Crosman 760 that I swear was a thinly-disguised exercise program for kids because you had to pump that sucker a lot - taught me to make each shot count. Had the Schwinn Sting-Ray bike and was just at the right time for Eval Knieval to be in the comic books so we'd set up little ramps and stuff. We used to put together bikes out of the junkyard too and someone else always beat us to the wheels with brakes.

We had lawn darts, my brother had throwing knives, and at the proud age of 11 I had a Ka-Bar knife an old guy up the street gave me. The leather handle had rotted away so I made a handle, and a sheath, and used to carry it proudly almost everywhere.

Plus bows and arrows! Both store-bought and made.

Plus stuff like rock fights, playing dodgeball with a basket ball (that sucker WILL knock you down) and every other dangerous thing we could come up with to do.

Example: "I'm bored; let's jump off the roof" - "Okay!"

But I never cut myself with the ol' Ka-Bar, a BB never went where it was not OK for a BB to go, likewise an arrow, because Mom laid down the law. Anything bad happens and you get your toy taken away.

Geez, I could go on ... 3 words: Homemade go-karts.

We had ninja stars and Rambo style knives too!! Same deal from our Moms. If we were stupid enough and let anything bad happen, she'd take away the toys.

That's how I lost my BB gun. I had a cool scope I saved up money from mowing lawns etc and was quite proficient. But I shot my friend's older brother (who for the record was a tool) in the butt one too many times and finally broke the skin, and to my mom's credit she was good on her word, and gave away my BB gun to my cousin

Lesson learned.

One of my neighbors put out another kids eye with a BB gun. So they could be dangerous.

You're correct, BB guns have been known to do that, maybe I should have left them off my "good old days" rant.🤔

Brad

Oh please...BB guns have been owned by millions and millions of kids. Do accidents happen? Sure. Often enough to be considered an epidemic?? Hardly.

Nah...BB guns and kids surviving the good ol' days of the 70s and 80s is apropos
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Oh please...BB guns have been owned by millions and millions of kids. Do accidents happen? Sure. Often enough to be considered an epidemic?? Hardly.

Nah...BB guns and kids surviving the good ol' days of the 70s and 80s is apropos

OK, if they don't happen enough to be considered an epidemic then why imply that anyone said there was an epidemic?

For the child who lost the eye or their parents and siblings, they might have a different attitude than those of us lucky enough to have survived. Just sayin'.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every BB gun's packaging nowadays tells you to wear safety glasses and frankly that's a good habit to instill in kids. Safety glasses are a must-have when using a BB gun, using a wire brush on a bench grinder, all sorts of things. It kind of helps that modern protective eyewear doesn't look/work as bad as the old stuff. And kids often as not consider it "cool".
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But ... if it's resistant, how do you oil your children???
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

OK, if they don't happen enough to be considered an epidemic then why imply that anyone said there was an epidemic?

For the child who lost the eye or their parents and siblings, they might have a different attitude than those of us lucky enough to have survived. Just sayin'.

Exactly.

Brad
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Caps Reply with quote

I was told by the gentleman who makes a majority of valve oils for many companies that the US government decreed all oils thinner than Wesson oil must come with a child proof cap after a certain date. Yamaha got nicked and paid a hefty fine before changing over to the cap now in use on their products and it would be a matter of time before other companies were fined. It's been a couple of years since that conversation and I'm surprised it has taken this long for other companies to switch.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the gov't ought to make the K-Y company slap a teen-resistant cap on some of their exotic "jellies"...
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
I removed the child ring from my bottle of oil.

How did you do that?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
I removed the child ring from my bottle of oil.

How did you do that?

We can't tell you without checking your ID.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim's no child. Childlike, yeah... (And now he'll slap me upside the head with a swab.)

I used an Xacto knife to carve away the little inner tabs, not sure if it is the same scheme used on these bottles.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Childlike, yeah... (And now he'll slap me upside the head with a swab.)

No...you got that one right on the mark!

Don Herman rev2 wrote:

I used an Xacto knife to carve away the little inner tabs, not sure if it is the same scheme used on these bottles.

Thanks - I'll give that a try!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
mmarie03

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also fairly certain Bach uses the push and twist as well. I haven't used their oil since high school, I made the switch to Blue Juice. I can't see it being a government mandate or Blue Juice and Al Cass would have the devices as well. Or so I would think..
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, something like Berp Bio Oil, which claims it is "Non-toxic, Petroleum-free, Plant Based (Biobased)" is too dangerous, but a can of diet coke, filled with all sorts of chemicals, many of them linked to health issues, is perfectly fine, in large volumes.

Yep, this is a government operation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: