• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure Air leaks...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Embouchure Air leaks... Reply with quote

What's your take on leaky embouchure? Is is "symptomatic of a potential issue" or "who cares, just blow"?
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is an air leak.

It is the uncontrolled release of air that could be used to sound a note.

It stems from an underdeveloped embouchure. Two apertures exist in the lips when there is a leak, one in the mouthpiece and that forms the double reed we use to play. The second is the leak aperture outside the mouthpiece.

In a strong well developed embouchure this leak aperture would not occur.

Does it indicate a problem, in itself no, many players have a leak and this occurs generally as more air is used moving up the staff. It does however point to an area that may need work.

This is just opinion as I am not a teacher.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just get a little spurt of air occasionally, very rarely, I wouldn't worry about it. If the leaking is becoming more persistent, I would try to understand what's happening. It could be a sign of chronic fatigue from too much playing, not enough rest, for example. Not saying that's why you're getting leaks, but this is just an example of what to look out for and why you'd want to figure it out.
Piccolo Stomvi
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
What is an air leak.

It is the uncontrolled release of air that could be used to sound a note.

It stems from an underdeveloped embouchure. Two apertures exist in the lips when there is a leak, one in the mouthpiece and that forms the double reed we use to play. The second is the leak aperture outside the mouthpiece.

In a strong well developed embouchure this leak aperture would not occur.

Does it indicate a problem, in itself no, many players have a leak and this occurs generally as more air is used moving up the staff. It does however point to an area that may need work.

This is just opinion as I am not a teacher.

That's right Bflatman. Think of it as a safety valve. It usually occurs when we are asking the embouchure to do something it is not strong enough to do just yet. Rather than bruise or cut the lip or damage the muscles and nerves, the safety valve blows off the steam!

Cheers,

Gordon Stump
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Embouchure Air leaks... Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
What's your take on leaky embouchure? Is is "symptomatic of a potential issue" or "who cares, just blow"?

It's not a "potential issue" - it is an issue, and is symptomatic of instability elsewhere. Give us some more info. Is it only in the high register? Middle register quiet playing? Low register loud playing? Be specific and descriptive.

Mid and low register, I think very focused lip-bends are the road to solving this. It's a matter of engaging the control points more and getting your embouchure more forward and tongue position correct. Upper register leaking can be a slew of other issues.

~A
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Embouchure air leaks.... Reply with quote

Build up some muscle. Arban characteristic studies should do it! Recommended to me from Haken Hardenberger.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Embouchure Air leaks... Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:

I really would have to see and hear you play to know how much of a leak you have and whether or not it is really effecting your playing before I could make a valid opinion comment. If you have a Webcam we could use Skype. PM me if you want to get together for a few minutes (no cost).

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a regular thing and it's never posed a problem. I was just curious. For me it seems to occur in the middle/low register earlier in the day when I'm trying to make easy sound doing longtones and whatnot I'm probably just a little tight. Maybe I need to look at my warm up a little. Thanks for all the feedback.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the famous trumpet player who would spray his section mates with his leaks?

If it hurts or there are playing problems, that's one thing, but if there's nothing wrong with what's coming out of the bell, I don't see a problem.

If all else fails, get an epoxy.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
Who was the famous trumpet player who would spray his section mates with his leaks?

If it hurts or there are playing problems, that's one thing, but if there's nothing wrong with what's coming out of the bell, I don't see a problem.

If all else fails, get an epoxy.

I'm not sure if this is who you are thinking of but during my lessons with Claude Gordon, when the subject of air leaking out the corners came up (I used to have this happen sometimes), Claude jokingly said to me that they're probably still cleaning the spit from the walls in the CBS Studios where he used to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: