• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What fingering do you use high G - Dub C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Pocahontas is on MF Horn 3 right? I don't think Lynn is on that album is he? Is there another recording I'm not aware of with Lynn playing?

You are correct Benge.nut, Lynn didn't play on MF Horn 3, that was still the European line-up. Lynn's only studio recording with the band was on Chameleon. This just happened to be the same moment in time the band appeared on the PBS shows "Mark of Jazz" and "At the Top," which served to secure Lynn's legend forever in the trumpet world! The Pocahontas "duet" referenced were from live shows. It wasn't so much a duet as it was a call and response of the high b-flat - A - G line. It's hard to differentiate between Maynard and Lynn when you hear it, quite a testament to Lynn's playing. It was always cool to see when Maynard would bring guys out front to share the spotlight, he had no ego in that regard, it was always about pleasing the audience and providing exposure to his sidemen.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
It was always cool to see when Maynard would bring guys out front to share the spotlight, he had no ego in that regard, it was always about pleasing the audience and providing exposure to his sidemen.

Yes! Do you all remember how when his band members' solos would end, Maynard would postpone starting his own solo in order to let the audience applause for his band member continue for a while longer?
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
MF Fan wrote:
It was always cool to see when Maynard would bring guys out front to share the spotlight, he had no ego in that regard, it was always about pleasing the audience and providing exposure to his sidemen.

Yes! Do you all remember how when his band members' solos would end, Maynard would postpone starting his own solo in order to let the audience applause for his band member continue for a while longer?

Ditto that.

On one of the many times I went to see Maynard and his orchestra and also one of the times he sent his trumpet section into the audience,

The trumpet player standing next to my table was blowing these anazing high G's. I can still remember how unbelievably loud and perfectly in tune his notes were. There was no amplification because he was standing out in front of the band. And the thing that impressed me as much ss anything else was how easily he could pull it off. He wasnt even breathing hard.

This was back in the day before smoking was outlawed in nightclubs in my town. This trumpet player actually had a lit cigarette in his left hand. In other words his ability to hit high notes had become so second nature that it didnt even rattle him enough to postpone his next smoke.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal fingerings for me as well with the exception of the A. 3rd puts that pitch as the only practical way for me as it doesn't even exist any other way. The feedback on the A also has a different feel, sound and energy requirement than everything else above high E. I don't know why, but it always has. It may be purely psychological, but if I need an equally strong A, that's what it takes.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: