• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Maynard's Flugelhorns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burnhamd

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Maynard's Flugelhorns Reply with quote

Just curious, what brand and model flugelhorns did Maynard play from the 80's on. I assume he played Holton but I can't find out any info.
Thanks,
Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Maynard's Flugelhorns Reply with quote

burnhamd wrote:
Just curious, what brand and model flugelhorns did Maynard play from the 80's on. I assume he played Holton but I can't find out any info.
Thanks,
Dan

He played Courtois flugelhorns from what I saw. Big bore four vale horns when I met him and hung out a few times in the 80s and 90s

And I might add, I HATED Maynard's flugelhorn sound, and I don't blame it on Courtois horns. I don't know if it was mouthpiece selection or what the issue was but the sound was mostly awful.
burnhamd

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info,
Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

burnhamd wrote:
Thanks for the info,
Dan

Sure thing.

And even though I never liked his flugelhorn stuff, every show I saw were life changing moments for me, and Maynard is still one of my favorite players and he had enormous influences on my playing and career choices.

Maynard's ballads from the 50s and 60s sounded better than most guys in flugel I've ever heard by the way....
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Maynard's fluglehorn sound but only in his later years. I loved his sound on MF Horn 1&3. Ballad For Max, The Valachi Papers and the first stanza of Round Midnight are particular favorites. His sound on trumpet and flugle changed a lot in later years. I suspect it was mouthpiece related as someone pointed out.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He played either a LeBlanc or a Holton Flugelhorn when I saw him in concert in the mid '70's through early '80s. I think it was a LeBlanc horn. I think he sounded great on Flugel at least at that time.
burnhamd

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks Guys Reply with quote

Guys,
Thanks for the info and input,
Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video of him playing a Courtois.

Link

Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see Maynard switching between different Bbs as well. He still sounds very powerful at this stage. Early 90s??

And he's wearing a very nice conservative moo-moo on this particular gig. Oh Maynard....such very odd choices and styles over the years
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I wouldn't say Maynard sounds 'awful' in that clip, I would say that's a good example of how not to blow a flugel. He shows what happens when you blow it as though it were a trumpet; the sound isn't much different from trumpet, and you force every intonation quirk into its worst possible position.

Pretty sure the two trumpets each have a different mpc., and he probably adjusted the tuning slides ahead of time. First time I've ever seen someone else do that.

When I saw Chuck Mangione give a clinic to a bunch of HS kids he said you can't blow a FL the way you can a trumpet, you have to woo it like a woman. This clip shows the Courtois can take it and not back up!
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Maynard sounds as delicate as a bulldozer on flugelhorn. I've never really heard an example of him playing flugelhorn with much finesse and you're right, he sounds more like a trumpet than a flug.

Those Courtois are larger bore horns as well, if memory serves. Whatever the combination of variables, MF sounds like a nasally trumpet on his flugel recordings. Not a sound I'd go after.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mouthpiece was he using in the clip of But Beautiful?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As delicate as a bulldozer," haha yes. Isn't that what we love about his playing though? On any instrument, when was he anything else?
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Maynard flugelhorn Reply with quote

I don't have alot of tracks of him playing flugelhorn. I still preferred the buttery sound of Mangione but I wouldn't have seen Maynard to know what flugel he played because I would have been genuflecting face down on the floor. Took a couple high school kids to see him at a h.s. concert in southern minnesota. We took front row seats and got to talk a while with Stan Mark before the concert.
We were all blown away. His sidemen were so awesome. Somewhere I still have some 33 rpm discs of him playing dance standards and stuff. The one and only MF!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: