• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

An isometric exercise you may find very helpful.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
Lately however as I get stronger and the exercise easier? Have switched to taping the two pencils directly end to end. I just put a mere toothpick under the electrical tape. So as to avoid any bending of the taped pencils. Whatever way you do it however is most likely to be a good payoff.

Lionel I started out as you describe above. Obviously it is too much. Since we first discussed this I still cannot hold the pencils beyond 20 seconds (sometimes less ). Maybe I should have started properly as you did, taping the pencils eraser to eraser and stick with that until I reach the target 2 minute mark, then go back to taping them directly end to end.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Seymor B Fudd"][quote="Lionel"]
Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Lionel!

Exactly! I played lead in a swingband throughout the seventies, on a VB 1 1/4 C. Sometimes able to squeak out a high G, often nail a Eb, "Mr Anthony´s boogie", the "Trumpet Blues" (in D major) as amateurs would do it, technically rather OK, but never a "steadfast" upper high (above E) register. Big crisis some years ago, chops to the dogs, pro saved me and then I began to fly again by help of the BE method - never ever having had that solid chops, range in Brass Band quite OK and amazing endurance. But above E everytime I want? Nope.
I have become much better because of the BE, now solid D:s Eb:s; sometimes I can hear tiny tiny F:s, but might be wishful thinking.
At one point I thought the fact I am getting older (thank God...) could have something to do with it, but again this amzaing endurance.
Today lead ( ) in a mediocre big band, no problems with ordninary scores, but now and then a F is required. And why not a G?
On my Selmer Eb/D trumpet I can produce (sometimes at least) a high C, (S 11A). Playing the soprano back then in command up to the B.
ps Mouthpiece in big band a "Lead" (Brand, Swiss made) - also I have used S 14 A4(a), S 11 A, Superchops 1 - Jettone Studio 1; not fond of very shallow cups mostly because I play the cornet so very often - probably kind of a handicap since I never get really used to them.

So please if you could give me some tips I would be very grateful!

Seymor,

Yes! This explains why you're able to hold that double pencil!!! You've got some seriously strong chops. Using the 1&1/4 C piece will do that. They really build power and endurance.

My estimate of B/E is that it seems to allow the chops to find the most elastic area on the upper lip. Through practicing of different motions ie "roll-in" & "roll-out" it can enhance finding that "sweet spot" on the upper lip. That and can help channel the lower into finding the best position to guide the air across the lips.

I still believe that just the mildest tweeking of your set-up would get that high G wailing. Have seen it happen more than once. Look for a private message in a day or two.

And since you dont seem to be the kind of fellow desperate to play double C by next Thursday? I'm not gonna suggest that you change to something shallower. Now having said that? I'd like to at least try and explain why I would recommend that anyone else using such large equipment as you do, would be advised to experiment with shallower pieces.

1. It takes much of the load off the chops. There's one "chop guru" who posts a lot on the Youtube. Since I dont really like the guy much? Will leave the fellow's name out of it. However I did find myself in rare agreement with him as he demonstrated his ability to blow double C's on both his Bach 1C and his much shallower lead piece.

And I can do the same thing too. Only instead of a Bach 1? I use my even deeper/larger flugel horn mouthpiece. I just stick a cornet/trumpet adapter on it. This curiously is the piece I do most of my classical work. But I stop using it when I'm not soloing or playing a fair amount of ledger lines above the staff. There's just no need for that much sound. Plus the strength demanded to support such a monster is going to make my endurance decay.

So switching to a shallower piece is advised when attempting to get rid of the nasty high D cut-off point. As whatever mild adjustments the trumpet player makes while tweeking his upper lip are less difficult to achieve.

2. And secondly, by choosing shallower equipment it allows the trumpet player working on building his range far more "flight time". Naturally any aid which allows us to blow more high notes is helping our development.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lionel"][quote="Seymor B Fudd"]
Lionel wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Lionel!

Exactly! I played lead in a swingband throughout the seventies, on a VB 1 1/4 C. Sometimes able to squeak out a high G, often nail a Eb, "Mr Anthony´s boogie", the "Trumpet Blues" (in D major) as amateurs would do it, technically rather OK, but never a "steadfast" upper high (above E) register. Big crisis some years ago, chops to the dogs, pro saved me and then I began to fly again by help of the BE method - never ever having had that solid chops, range in Brass Band quite OK and amazing endurance. But above E everytime I want? Nope.
I have become much better because of the BE, now solid D:s Eb:s; sometimes I can hear tiny tiny F:s, but might be wishful thinking.
At one point I thought the fact I am getting older (thank God...) could have something to do with it, but again this amzaing endurance.
Today lead ( ) in a mediocre big band, no problems with ordninary scores, but now and then a F is required. And why not a G?
On my Selmer Eb/D trumpet I can produce (sometimes at least) a high C, (S 11A). Playing the soprano back then in command up to the B.
ps Mouthpiece in big band a "Lead" (Brand, Swiss made) - also I have used S 14 A4(a), S 11 A, Superchops 1 - Jettone Studio 1; not fond of very shallow cups mostly because I play the cornet so very often - probably kind of a handicap since I never get really used to them.

So please if you could give me some tips I would be very grateful!

Seymor,

Yes! This explains why you're able to hold that double pencil!!! You've got some seriously strong chops. Using the 1&1/4 C piece will do that. They really build power and endurance.

My estimate of B/E is that it seems to allow the chops to find the most elastic area on the upper lip. Through practicing of different motions ie "roll-in" & "roll-out" it can enhance finding that "sweet spot" on the upper lip. That and can help channel the lower into finding the best position to guide the air across the lips.

I still believe that just the mildest tweeking of your set-up would get that high G wailing. Have seen it happen more than once. Look for a private message in a day or two.

And since you dont seem to be the kind of fellow desperate to play double C by next Thursday? I'm not gonna suggest that you change to something shallower. Now having said that? I'd like to at least try and explain why I would recommend that anyone else using such large equipment as you do, would be advised to experiment with shallower pieces.

1. It takes much of the load off the chops. There's one "chop guru" who posts a lot on the Youtube. Since I dont really like the guy much? Will leave the fellow's name out of it. However I did find myself in rare agreement with him as he demonstrated his ability to blow double C's on both his Bach 1C and his much shallower lead piece.

And I can do the same thing too. Only instead of a Bach 1? I use my even deeper/larger flugel horn mouthpiece. I just stick a cornet/trumpet adapter on it. This curiously is the piece I do most of my classical work. But I stop using it when I'm not soloing or playing a fair amount of ledger lines above the staff. There's just no need for that much sound. Plus the strength demanded to support such a monster is going to make my endurance decay.

So switching to a shallower piece is advised when attempting to get rid of the nasty high D cut-off point. As whatever mild adjustments the trumpet player makes while tweeking his upper lip are less difficult to achieve.

2. And secondly, by choosing shallower equipment it allows the trumpet player working on building his range far more "flight time". Naturally any aid which allows us to blow more high notes is helping our development.

Oh - I misled you - sorry for that; the VB 1 1/4 (cornet and trumpet) was with me 1970 up til say 1995; since then safari - however I used S 14 for a long time for cornet but last year cornet safari ended in a Denis Wick Ultra 7 C, rather deep, diam 16.25 rounded nice rim; trumpet mpc safari still on the move, but mostly I use the "Brand" Lead - I would say as shallow as S 14A4 but less diam, not that weird double cup and better rim.
And so on!
Looking forward to your correspondence - thanks!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: