• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Switching between C and Bb horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YoungMW

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Switching between C and Bb horns Reply with quote

I recently acquired a new Bach Chicago C trumpet and have a Bach 37 Bb. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me practice switching between the two horns to the point that I am equally comfortable on both.
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: C/Bb horns Reply with quote

I would advise spending time on the C playing familiar Clarke studies and whatever flexibility studies you prefer. At first try do play the ?C in practice sessions as much as you can but get back to the Bb regularly.

As soon as you are comfortable practice Bb parts n C trumpet by transposing. Reading Clarke #2 and #3 while transposing them works great to both getting comfortable with the pitch and feel of the C trumpet.

If possible, play everything on the C horn for an extended time. Then get back on the Bb so as not to lose your feeling of comfort on that horn.

Try preparing some solo literature on the C. Intense work will help dramatically.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
At some point you will feel great about picking up either horn at a moments notice.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played them both so long they each feel normal! Do what Bill said and good luck
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with Bill. Learn the quirks of your C for a while in a practice room setting. Don't be afraid to use the normal alternate fingerings if necessary- 12 for 4th space E, 23 for same Eb, use a little 1st valve slide for 12 combinations if you find it necessary. And push in the tuning slide if you feel you must tense up to bring the pitch up- play where the horn does. Then work towards transposing Bb music on your C, which you'll end up doing a lot of if you continue to use it much. Good luck.
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe there are any secrets or tricks to becoming comfortable on a new instrument. I think you just need time practicing the fundamentals on each horn.

I personally find playing Clarke studies, lip flexibility studies, and articulation studies quietly with a metronome to be the best way to develop skill on any trumpet. A little of each of these every day goes a long way. Be disciplined about it and avoid playing too loudly. Let the instrument do the work.

Happy Trumpeting!

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never exposed to anything except Bb until I joined the Navy Music Program and began playing BQ music. I worked on switching between Bb, C, Eb, and piccolo using the Telemann Heroic Music. The Maurice André edition came with both Bb and C parts: I would read the C part on Bb, then play the same movement reading Bb on C, repeating with Eb on Bb part, and piccolo on whichever part made the most sense. By playing all four horns on the same sounding pitches, it really helped develop the eye-hand-ear coordination and, for me, helped eliminate the aural confusion of playing a different pitch than written. Of course, now I realize I should have also used Eb reading C, as that's still my roughest transposition...

HTH

Ben
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again!

I would like to add that I believe that becoming comfortable with a new instrument and developing transposing skills are two different things. Both of these skills must be developed and they are often used together in performance situations, of course.

You can practice transposing on any instrument at any time. Just read simple songs in several different keys.

Becoming comfortable with the pitch tendencies and response times of any new instrument is very important. I've found that my students tend to be able to focus on these things more effectively when they are playing exercises with which they are already familiar.

It takes a high level of transposing skill to be able to focus on learning a new instrument's tendencies while also transposing. If you're at that level, go for it!!

Happy Trumpeting!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
robas92

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Bb to C Reply with quote

I have found that having similar set-ups for your horns help the transition. If you have horns that blow completely different, obviously you are going to have difficulty. A Schilke Bb and a Monette C would be difficult. Some horns are similar though. For example, a Bach 37 Bb would be comparable to a Bach 239 C, a Bach 43 Bb to a Bach 229 C. If you have the same Blackburn leadpipe/tuning slide on both horns, the transition is much easier. You may even be able to use the same mouthpiece on both horns if it is deep enough. In the end, you gotta play a lot of horns and find what works for you. Personally, I have found that my lacquered Bach Artisan Bb matches my lacquered Kanstul 1510-A C well. Just my two cents....
Kanstul 920 Piccolo
Blessing 154 RT Flugelhorn

Robert A. Smith

--More horns than I can count!!
----------------------
Do, or do not, there is no try!!--Yoda
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overthink it. It's not that hard. Just alternate between the 2 horns, playing the same pitches on both. For example, play a G scale on the Bb horn, then play an F scale on the C trumpet. The pitches will be the same. The intonation and the tone quality will be slightly different, but you'll eventually adjust to that. Keep doing that, play something on the one horn, then the same pitches on the other horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: