• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I like the sound of cornet over a trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: I like the sound of cornet over a trumpet Reply with quote

Noticed that I like the sound of my cornet over my trumpet. The cornet has a deeper sound that I like. The trumpet has a little higher sound.

Noticed with the trumpets I have owned that they are very picky with valve oil.

Is it my imagination?
1995 Jupiter 600m trumpet
1980 King 1516 Trombone
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: I like the sound of cornet over a trumpet Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Noticed that I like the sound of my cornet over my trumpet. The cornet has a deeper sound that I like. The trumpet has a little higher sound.

Noticed with the trumpets I have owned that they are very picky with valve oil.

Is it my imagination?

Which part?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's called sarcasm, Jon.

Valves are metal pistons, regardless where they come from. The impact is the quality of build of the horn, regardless if it's cornet or trumpet.

Cornets are generally a little more reserved than trumpets, considering, however, that some cornets sound more trumpety and some trumpets can be more reserved.

Also something that might be considered is, if applicable, is how the horn sounds in a section or ensemble.

Otherwise, if you like it just play it. And enjoy it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
Chet Baker

Benge 3X
Schilke B6
Martin Committee (1956)
Connstellation 38B (1959)
Hans Hoyer G10 French Horn
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: both parts Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The cornet to me has a lower sound that the trumpet.

All the trumpets I have owned are very picky with valve oil.

The cornet and trumpet are both pitched the same (at least probably) in Bb. The cornet might have a different sound quality, though. I certainly like them.

As was posted above, the main factors how well valves work is how well they were made, who made them, their condition and how they have been cared for, the oil used, and the personal chemistry of the player using them and the players that did use them before (if you're not the original owner). Lots of variables.

Thinking that trumpet pistons are more picky with oil than cornet ones is like saying all cars are tan because you've owned two tan cars. (Also, tan vehicles are lame)

Whether a set of pistons is cornet or trumpet doesn't matter at all to whether they work well or not.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Bflatman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of playing cornets and trumpets is that the biggest differences are in the mouthpiece. I use big deep and heavy mouthpieces in trumpet and my tones are cornet like.

Try choosing a different mouthpiece in your trumpets.

I find no difference between valves that are specific to the instrument. I play on 3 trumpets and 2 cornets, all have great valves.

The one instrument that was problematic was a trumpet and that was due to a lifetime of accumulated crud on the valves that once removed transformed them into good valves. It was over 90 years old when it came to me so it had significant neglect and cleaning issues.

Most issues with valves are I believe down to the care of the valves and instrument I think. Over the years they gather crud.

Buy an old instrument, oil it, play it, result unhappiness. Buy an old instrument, de-crud the valves, re-spring them, re-felt them, oil them, result happiness.
[email protected]
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: cleaning trumpet Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I will continue cleaning the valves on the trumpet and take it easy on the valve oil.
1980 King 1516 Trombone
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically clean my valves with a bit of baking soda and warm water. Baking soda's mild abrasive quality usually does the trick. Be sure to rinse the thoroughly after cleaning them.
If I don't have any baking soda I'll use toothpaste. Be sure that the toothpaste doesn't have a gritty quality that could scratch. Also rinse thoroughly.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning trumpet Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I will continue cleaning the valves on the trumpet and take it easy on the valve oil.

Be sure not to spin your valves in their casings. When you remove a valve, pull it straight out, apply oil, then straight back into it's cylinder. If you do this routinely, you will eliminate most problems with hanging or sticking valves.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning trumpet Reply with quote

roynj wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Be sure not to spin your valves in their casings. When you remove a valve, pull it straight out, apply oil, then straight back into it's cylinder. If you do this routinely, you will eliminate most problems with hanging or sticking valves.

No matter how many times I do it your way, they hang up eventually. I go back to spinning then to fully coat the valves, and they work perfectly.

Holton H378 French Horn
Cleveland Superior Cornet
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use kerosene for valve oil a few times
[email protected]
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Thanks all Reply with quote

Thanks all for the information. Baking soda worked well. My cornet valves are not as picky as my trumpet.
1980 King 1516 Trombone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: