• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece buzzing - break

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece buzzing - break Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I have this break - which isn't a break - I mean I top at High E-F no matter what I do I can't get higher pitches. Though the buzzing is ' effortless ' and vibrant and full sounding.

Any tips to ovrcome this ?

Thanks
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok maybe I'll have to find a solution by myself
thanks for reading anyway
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may check out www.bbtrumpet.com

It's the website of Clint 'Pops' McLaughlin, a well-known teacher here on TH.

This article is a good start:

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/articles/76.html

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
do you mean high E or F in the staff or above High C ?
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece buzzing limit Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
Hi everyone

I top at High E-F no matter what I do I can't get higher pitches. Though the buzzing is ' effortless ' and vibrant and full sounding.

Thanks

As per JVL: which "high"?

Why do you need to buzz higher? For a gig?

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece buzzing - break Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
I have this break - which isn't a break - I mean I top at High E-F no matter what I do I can't get higher pitches. Though the buzzing is ' effortless ' and vibrant and full sounding.

Any tips to overcome this?

I'm no expert on or even practitioner of buzzing, but if I had a question about buzzing I'd check what James Thompson has to say. He's a terrific trumpeter (I used to hear him when he played with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra) and a huge proponent of mouthpiece buzzing. Looking at his website, the FAQ mentions breaks encountered when buzzing the mouthpiece. Maybe his Buzzing Book could get you squared away.
Piccolo Stomvi
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW

My experience with this issue is that, yes, there is a break around the E/F. For me the next note is a full fifth higher at the dbl C. I can then go up from there several notes. Coming down from the dbl C I can pretty much fill in the B,A,G,F#. But going up just wants to jump up the fifth from F.

The notes are there.
BrianCade1

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a "Buzzing Book" problem. End state is to use the same embouchure no matter the register and in this case, in order to go high, go low. Get a copy of the "Buzzing Book" and follow the instructions. 1-4 and Exercise 9 are the foundation.
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original wondering was that this break appears around the same note I begin to ' force ' on the trumpet. I can get Es up to Gs ( depends on days ) ok, but higher is elusive ( unless I press harder/blow harder )
I think that if I can figur eout how to get through that break with the m'piece, this will help with the trumpet
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece buzzing - break Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
Hi everyone

Thanks

Overcoming Sticking Points / Plateaus:

Here is what a sticking point or plateaus is not, lets say you have a little, tiny high Ab and you can't get an A. This is not a sticking point/plateaus. What that means is that you just have to go back to the four basic rules, big breath, chest up, think "tee" on the top note, blow stronger as you go higher and also, go back to your basic routine (Claude Gordon-SA for example) and do your breathing exercises and develop until the next note comes.

What a plateaus is, when you get a big fat Ab and no A. That means you have the power to get the A but have not developed the feel for the A.

The basic exercise for developing the upper register is using the major chords or arpeggios going up. Young players should start on a low C, more experience players can start on a low f#, and advance players should start on pedal C. Working your way by half steps all the way to the top. Don't go any higher that you can comfortable go.

Here's a remedial method that produces amazing results:
https://qpress.ca/product/knevitt-cimera-method-developing-upper-register-trumpet/

Last edited by solo soprano on Thu May 25, 2017 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
My original wondering was that this break appears around the same note I begin to ' force ' on the trumpet. I can get Es up to Gs ( depends on days ) ok, but higher is elusive ( unless I press harder/blow harder )
I think that if I can figure out how to get through that break with the m'piece, this will help with the trumpet

"...... ( unless I press harder/blow harder )....."

What do you mean by "blow harder"? This may be controversial but there is a physical aspect to trumpet playing.

Remember when Johnny Carson asked Doc Severinsen...."what is your highest note and why can't you go one note higher"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rj_VJno3FE

I do not know if buzzing is the answer. Depending on your age and "lung power" that break at E/F could become a new break at F/G and so on.

Best of luck,

Gordon Stump
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my aim is to play as 'effortlessly ' as possible.
I mean I can play ( not squeak or whatever ) up to E above High C everyday, everytime, with ' little ' effort ( just keeping the embouchure as it is and having support from my blowing machine ). When I am lucky, it expands to G.
The smooth transition I get from lwer register to the high ( my high ) register is what I look for for the next notes.
When I wrote ' push / blow harder ', I meant when I am confortable up to X, to get past it, I need a certain amount of effort to be done, which is exactly what I try not to do.
Thus my question about this ' break ' that prevents me to go any higher without ' forcing ' it.
Like I loose my balance at this point, and have to ' push ' ....
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for answering my question. I think your goal of playing as effortlessly as possible is a good one. I did not mean to trivialize your post by citing the video.

I also wanted to go one note higher!

I used to mine the psychological aspects of the Schlossberg Drills by coming up with a short phrase that does not put the highest note on a down beat or otherwise give it more "importance". Then I would start the phrase on second line G and go up chromatically with short rests between each phrase. The higher I went the longer the rests.

For example: an eighth note major triad with a 6th passing tone back to the 5-3-1. The concept is to focus on the fifth with a little more sound and emphasis.

Best of luck,

Gordon Stump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: