• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Difference between Bb and C trumpet mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Difference between Bb and C trumpet mouthpieces Reply with quote

I know that many people use the same mouthpiece for Bb and C trumpet.

But then I see manufacturer such as GR offering some mouthpieces SPECIFIC for c trumpet.

So I am wondering what is so different on these specific C trumpet mouthpieces. Throat? length of shank? Intonation? Cup size? response? Stuffiness vs non-stuffy??? etc.???
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a C trumpet expert but for me works better the same piece but with larger bore in the C piece , I use a Reeves 43C with #28 bore for Bb and the stock version (#26 bore) for my C but as said in the beginning I am not a C trumpet guru just my 2 cents.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people who use a mouthpiece with a larger throat and more open backbore on a C trumpet do so to get the same "feel" on the C that they do on the Bb. Some manufacturers also make their C trumpet mouthpieces slightly shorter than the Bb version to counteract the tendency of a larger more open mouthpiece to play slightly flat. I don't know if GR C trumpet mouthpieces are shorter, though.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Gary Radtke:

I believe many people equate the length of the mouthpiece to the pitch. The volume determines the pitch not the length, although, given the added length you do add volume. Cup volume minus the lip engagement.

So many people talk about the hole, bigger or smaller. The hole is one parameter out of 20+. When you enlarge the hole many things happen.
The cup changes, the backbore is shorter, the cylindrical section of the throat increases, the average taper of the backbore is less and so is the initial taper of the backbore. Your drill or reamer will raise the pop pitch frequency of the mouthpiece and could hurt intonation and articulation.

We have found other things that make a bigger difference like the throat exponent and shape factor. If the mouthpiece has a 2.8 or 2.4 shape factor (throat exponent) and it matches the bell throat, it helps focus the system. We also reduce the length at times. There are some we can't reduce with certain backbores as the cylindrical section of the throat is missing.

The cylindrical section of throat has a diameter and length. Both have an effect on the blow resistance. Using math there are many ways to make the match correct.

GR
www.grmouthpieces.com
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a ML bore Bb and a L bore C with reversed lead-pipe... quite different setups and desired sounds. So, in my brain, using the same mouthpiece on both is going to be a compromise on one, if not both. Something nags at me that using the same mouthpiece is a "good enough" approach... is it?

I have found I like a slightly larger throat on my C but have noticed that with that I can, at times, get away with a slightly shallower cup. With my C trumpet I find it varies more with what I'm playing. If I'm playing a lower part under a very strong legit player (orchestral-ish) then I'll go bigger. But if I'm playing something like the 1st part of the Rutter Gloria, I may go the other direction.

Experimentation with the GR's, Pickett's, Reeve's, Curry's of the world is the avenue for finding the right match for you.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When playing in Orchestras I've always used the same mouthpieces for my Bb as for my C trumpets, and that's including moving between piston and rotary trumpets. I've always used the same rim, throat and backbore size with only a variance in cup shape and depth for the particular tonal quality I'm looking for and the range the music is in. I've never discerned any need for different mouthpieces based on the difference in pitch or feel between a Bb and C trumpet. Maybe there are Neanderthal genes in my linage.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, like you, I use the same mouthpiece on Bb and C. I tried a couple larger throat/more open backbore pieces on my C trumpet over the years, but found I got better results using my usual mouthpiece.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same mouthpiece for Bb or C for me as well with one exception. I use a deeper mouthpiece based on the same rim when I am playing 2nd or 3rd C Trumpet parts since the "fatter" sound seems to support the 1st player somewhat better. The Conductors of the Chamber Orchestra and the Symphony Orchestra that I play regularly with have stated the same, they prefer the supporting sound that the deeper mouthpiece provides in the section, especially when there are only 2 Trumpet parts.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For "legit" type playing as well as some small-group jazz, I would use the same piece for Bb and C. For a more commercial sound on Bb, a shallower cup, and tighter throat/backbore.

For all around work, I like a 25 throat and fairly standard backbore in most mouthpieces for both Bb and C. That being said, if the mouthpiece is properly engineered and balanced, I don't care what the throat and backbore is anymore as long as I play and sound well on it.

I have found consistency in blow is best for me. The Bb and C feel different, and I'm okay with that. I know what each of my horns feel like, and my C trumpet playing suffers if I try to open the blow to match my Bb and my Bb playing suffers if I try the opposite on it.

Crazy huh?
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. Scriver wrote:
From Gary Radtke:

I believe many people equate the length of the mouthpiece to the pitch. The volume determines the pitch not the length, although, given the added length you do add volume. Cup volume minus the lip engagement.

So many people talk about the hole, bigger or smaller. The hole is one parameter out of 20+. When you enlarge the hole many things happen.
The cup changes, the backbore is shorter, the cylindrical section of the throat increases, the average taper of the backbore is less and so is the initial taper of the backbore. Your drill or reamer will raise the pop pitch frequency of the mouthpiece and could hurt intonation and articulation.

We have found other things that make a bigger difference like the throat exponent and shape factor. If the mouthpiece has a 2.8 or 2.4 shape factor (throat exponent) and it matches the bell throat, it helps focus the system. We also reduce the length at times. There are some we can't reduce with certain backbores as the cylindrical section of the throat is missing.

The cylindrical section of throat has a diameter and length. Both have an effect on the blow resistance. Using math there are many ways to make the match correct.

GR
www.grmouthpieces.com

I have a bunch of Monette mouthpieces in different keys or, different lengths. They defiantly change the pitch of the trumpet.

There might be differences (besides length) in the mouthpiece that I don't know so, if I take the E-Flat trumpet and put different E-flat mouthpieces in, the pitch really doesn't change. If I put a B-flat mouthpiece in the E-flat trumpet, there is a huge pitch change. To really go extreme, if I put a picc. mouthpiece in the E-flat trumpet, the pitch is so far off that I can't play it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: