• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ways to Soft & Supple Lips...?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I'm blown away by the things people will choose to worry about enough to start a thread. Maybe I've been doing something wrong all of these years, but I've never had to worry about how soft or supple my lips are - I find that with a certain amount of playing, there's a toughness that develops under the surface, but I think that's just the body's response to the mouthpiece being there a lot.

With that said, there is something to that whole kissing thing. While it's definitely not the same kind of motion as playing a trumpet, it will certainly help to loosen things up and help chops recover - it's essentially a fun way to get a lip massage.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Pedal Tones or playing Low C down to Low F#
2) Bobby Shew Lip Flutter (flap lips like a horse or car engine etc.)
3) DCT (Daily Conditioning Treatment) by Blistex ... I use my finger and massage my lips for a minute or so by rubbing them while applying this.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... lately for me driving home from a too loud gig,i`v been flapping my lips,and also buzzing a lot..Seems to work,as the next day I`m pretty much ok.I used to HATE matinees or morning playing with puffiness.I also have a friend that plays a bit into a tuba mouthpiece as a warm down.Keeps it in his car,and he claims it does the trick..I`v also found that drinking lots of water helps

Edited by Moderators - the TH is a family friendly site. Remember that when you post or you may lose your TH privileges.
jimjehu

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

american boy.I was given the same advice many years ago by one of the best lead players around. Thanks Al, it still works.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

american boy wrote:
... lately for me driving home from a too loud gig,i`v been flapping my lips,and also buzzing a lot..Seems to work,as the next day I`m pretty much ok.I used to HATE matinees or morning playing with puffiness.I also have a friend that plays a bit into a tuba mouthpiece as a warm down.Keeps it in his car,and he claims it does the trick..I`v also found that drinking lots of water helps

Water helps me a lot, too.

If I feel particularly beaten up after a gig or a hard practice session, I do a couple minutes of leadpipe buzzing, playing the different available harmonics being sure to be on the resonant center, and always end up feeling like a million bucks. I keep a spare leadpipe around just for this. I have to check myself because even though I feel great, I don't play for the rest of the day. Need to give those chops time to recover. I found this out the hard way.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reluctant to add anything here since the OP has deleted his posts, but besides those things listed above, Ron Romm showed me that very light stimulation with the corner of a tissue (or tip of a feather, I suppose if your S-M Dom helps) will aid in the return of feeling and sensation after a tough night of playing. (I believe he learned this from Jim Stamp but I don't remember him crediting it to him.)

Simple- very lightly "tickle" the embouchure area and around the outside of it with the very corner/tip of a Kleenex or other extremely soft, flexible material. It will return sensation to overworked chops after a bit and you can always use the same tech later on your chick friends, be they male, female or whatever. Although Ron didn't mention it, I'm sure it'll work on lots of other body parts as well. Good luck.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows a FPW (five-post wonder) resurrected a nine year old thread, yes? Not that the info is bad, just sayin'...
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimjehu; Was that Al P? I could see him saying that, but no, the guy I was talking about is still alive..And my apologies to this forum for my overly graphic depiction before it was deleted
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Sometimes I'm blown away by the things people will choose to worry about enough to start a thread...

I wondered about that too, especially since the OP deleted his post. But reading the responses, it looks like the OP might have been bothered by an unresponsive embouchure, where he releases the air but the lips don't start vibrating the note consistently well. Either that, or he was worried about wrinkled skin that no longer had a youthful glow (but I doubt it).

Embouchure responsiveness is a top priority issue for me too, and I've found exercises and routines in these books have been very helpful:

Franquin Complete Method (esp. the sound production and long tones exercises). Reliable sound production, being able to play any note in your range at any volume, is the foundation for everything else in his book. It's essential to follow the written advice in the front of the book and before each set of exercises to get the full benefit.

Shuebruk Lip Trainers. The first page mimics the Franquin method sound production drills but adds a new twist by using breath attacks. The next few pages are accuracy drills for initial articulation.

John Daniel Special Studies for Trumpet. Practically the entire book has exercises to improve embouchure response, for example: breath attacks, whisper tones, note bending...
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: