• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Giardinelli question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Giardinelli question Reply with quote

I recently found a Giardinelli 7C and really like it. It does not say New York.
So then I bought one the does say New York and it's much smaller and the rim is flatter.
So I am wondering what the story is here?
And is there such thing as a Giardinelli 7FL for flugel?

Thanks!!~

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Giardinelli question Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
I recently found a Giardinelli 7C and really like it. It does not say New York.
So then I bought one the does say New York and it's much smaller and the rim is flatter.
So I am wondering what the story is here?
And is there such thing as a Giardinelli 7FL for flugel?

Thanks!!~

Eb

Hey Eric,
I think the difference is basically the ones that have new york were made in the shop on 46th st in NYC, and the ones not stamped with NEW YORK are the generic ones made by i don't know who. They are still available from WWBW. There is or was a 7FL flugel piece made though, i'm not sure if they were first made by Robert in his NY shop. What a shop Giardinelli's was. I went in there once and had him make me a cheater piece to match my Bach 1 1/2C piece to play pops type stuff, it was alot more shallow but had a big sound. Same size id though and also at the same time had him make a matching flugel piece with that rim. Still have them both. made about 1980.
They are both gold screw rim types and sound great. I just don't play anything that big anymore. the flugel piece has the best sound i've had on flugel, it looks like the one's Mangione was playing around then. He also made me a flugel to trumpet adapter and i used the flugel piece for "baker type" stuff when i could.

regards,
tom
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NY Giardinelli mouthpieces are a bit smaller. I think that Greg Black made the WWBW versions but don't quote me on it. The best source of Giardinelli mouthpiece information are John and Phyllis Stork. John worked for Mr. Giardinelli for five years or so before starting his own line. Terry Warburton is also a Giardinelli alumnus.

Pete
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Giardinelli 7FL is considered the holy grail of flugelhorn mouthpieces. When it comes up on Ebay it sells for top dollar. I used to have a 6FL and it, though too large for me, really was the easiest playing flugel mouthpiece I've ever had. The Curry FLM is sort of like that as is the Marcinkiewicz CG Personal flugel mouthpiece, but the Giardinelli was really special. I eventually sold the 6FL and have never found the elusive 7FL at a price I was willing to spend. Enjoy.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Karel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the NY 7 series are about a 3c diameter. As you look at the Stork mouthpiece comparison chart it also mention this. I also owned a 6vs and that was about a 2,5 diameter.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
The Giardinelli 7FL is considered the holy grail of flugelhorn mouthpieces. When it comes up on Ebay it sells for top dollar. I used to have a 6FL and it, though too large for me, really was the easiest playing flugel mouthpiece I've ever had. The Curry FLM is sort of like that as is the Marcinkiewicz CG Personal flugel mouthpiece, but the Giardinelli was really special. I eventually sold the 6FL and have never found the elusive 7FL at a price I was willing to spend. Enjoy.

Does anyone know if this is the flugel mouthpiece that Freddie Hubbard played? Seems like I heard that somewhere. I also read that Guido Basso plays (or played) the Giardinelli 7FL.
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be useful to someone...the old Giardinelli mouthpiece catalogue/specs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eZwAPdsN9XXnjpmFEBatijpZMeAg6U0T/view?usp=sharing
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Giardinelli question Reply with quote

I started playing Giardinelli pieces around 1957 when he had the tiny shop down around 10th Ave. Even though I have quite a few still in my collection most of then have been altered with bigger throats. Yes...their flugel pieces were fantastic! Wish they still made these original pieces as they did offer the smaller inner diameters for players like me who use an equivalent around their size "17".

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: