• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Protec iPac Triple Trumpet Case Review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbradd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Protec iPac Triple Trumpet Case Review Reply with quote

After reading a number of recent threads about this case, I decided to purchase one. I liked the idea of being able to change the internal configuration for whatever my needs might be. So, I can either pack 3 Bb’s, or any other combination of horns smaller than a Bb, two Bb’s with room for accessories, a Bb and flugel horn, or one Bb with a lot of extra room for stuff.

Case description: The case is the size of a small/medium suitcase. It should fit in an airplane overhead compartment. The frame appears to be quite rigid. I got the wheeled/telescoping handle version. The fabric on the outside also appears to be quite rugged and will more than likely take quite a lot of abuse over the years. There is a shoulder strap that has some sort of a grip surface on the shoulder pad. It grips the shoulder quite well, helping to keep the case from falling off your shoulder (a major problem with my Reunion Blues trumpet/flugel combo bag). The attachment clasps appear beefy and are metal, so no snapping plastic clasps! After using it for a few weeks, I found the strap worked great by itself, however, it’s a little inconvenient if you need to go back and forth quickly between rolling it and carrying it on your shoulder, because let’s face it, sometimes you don’t want to be rolling it over wet, muddy/dirty surfaces, etc. There is no convenient way to keep the strap from falling onto the ground when rolling, unless you stop and cinch it, making a quick transition impossible. I may end up sewing a small Velcro patch into it and the case for this reason.

The wheels are in-line skate wheels and roll easily and quietly. When in up-right rolling mode, you can put a laptop case over the handles and the case is heavy enough to stay up-right with the computer on top, making it very convenient if you needed to stop before reaching your destination.

There are six hard plastic “feet” for standing the case up-right or in a case-open position, keeping the body of the case off the ground at all times. One “foot” appears a little loose. This may be a problem down the road, but there is a 5 year manufacturer’s warranty, so I’m not too worried. You must be careful with where you put the case as the plastic feet can scratch whatever surface you put it on. I found this out the hard way. Rubber would have been a better choice.

There is also a very large pocket on the outside for music with an organizer with zippered pouches on the inside. The pocket will fit a number of books or folio folders. Just to see how much, I put an Arban’s, Mark Levine’s Jazz Theory book, and Clifford Brown transcription book in it. Could have crammed a few more things in there if needed and it zipped up without an issue. Looking at pictures of previous versions, the pocket unzipped all the way down the pocket space, like the shoe pockets of suitcases. This new model only allows for unzipping about 1/3 of the top. I’d prefer the older way in order to guarantee not folding pages or stressing book spines when putting in/taking out.

Inside, the case comes with many different sized pads and dividers. While there is a flier with pictures of different configurations that came with the case, it’s difficult to tell which pads are to be used for which configuration. Some are obvious, some not. Some explanation would have been helpful to make sure I’m using the pads as intended.

I’ve tried two configurations thus far: One Bb with lots of accessory space and two Bb’s with accessory space. In both cases, the horns are held securely with no movement, using several of the small block pads to secure them in place and pads can be used to lock the accessories in place if need be.

Overall, this is a very good case for the money. Only time will tell how well it will wear. It is on the heavy side when packed. The shipping weight of the case alone was just under 15 lbs. So, that’s something to keep in mind. While I originally wanted a Coyote 2.5, I just couldn't justify spending 4 to 5 times the cost of the iPac. And for the price, construction (except the loose foot), and immense versatility, I don’t think you can go wrong.
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This case is very similar to my Mike Vax trumpet/flugel case. It's decent but I'd prefer the pro tec one where there is an actual dedicated flugel cut-out than the Vax where you turn it a certain way and customize the velcro wedges. Also I don't like the wheels so much. I'd prefer a lighter non wheeled case with backpack straps.

This ipac triple or quad would work for me minus the wheels.
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it fit a rotary C?
mbradd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Trane wrote:
I'd prefer a lighter non wheeled case with backpack straps.

Luckily, you can get the version without wheels and with backpack straps. I'm sure it's a few pounds lighter without the wheels and handle.

swingintrpt wrote:
Can it fit a rotary C?

I can't say with 100% certainty as I don't own a rotary, but with the ability to configure the inside any which way you like, I think you could definitely fit a rotary and at least one other horn. As a triple case, that might be a bit tight. But considering you can put a regular size flugel and Bb in, I think it's a safe bet.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the triple without the wheels and telescoping handle, and the exterior pocket on mine is turned 90 degrees from this one. Mine also doesn't have the large feet like this one. I always assumed they were pretty much the same, but I guess there are differences other than the wheels and handle.

laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Interesting to see details of the wheeled version, since mine isn't trolley-style! The handle and wheels look quite sturdy...

I personally don't like a lot carrying a trolley so I didn't choose this version, which is probably noticeably heavier, is anyway more expensive and don't admit backpack strap...

This case even in the version I own feels yet a little bulky and heavy, but frankly speaking I can't imagine how it could be much more compact and still have room enough for three full-sized trumpets!

As for the weight (for the version without wheels, for the wheeled model I don't know) it's officially 10 pounds, vs 9 pounds for the Torpedo Coyote.

The Torpedo Coyote is a little smaller as well, and instead of three full-sized trumpets will hold 2 trumpets and 1 picc, or 1 flugel, 1 trumpet and 1 picc... Very interesting too, just not the same design!

I find this case to be really a bargain, really cheap for its quality, design and possibilities. Not VERY sturdy - in comparison with the Coyote! -, but pretty hard, and protective enough in most situations!

When I'm traveling in bus I can put it in the overhead compartiment, but I wouldn't doubt in putting it in the baggage compartiment... although in such a case, I would verify that nobody puts on it anything excessively heavy (yeah it's rather sturdy, but not indestructible! ).

Bb Trumpets: Courtois Évolution IV, Stomvi Forte,
Buescher T-120, HT3.
Mpcs: Monette B2s3, Kanstul M-B2.
Flugel: H.Bagué (Yam 631 clone in red brass).
Mpcs: Curry FL & FLD.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I have the triple without the wheels and telescoping handle, and the exterior pocket on mine is turned 90 degrees from this one. Mine also doesn't have the large feet like this one. I always assumed they were pretty much the same, but I guess there are differences other than the wheels and handle.

Dale, I'm about to buy the version you have because it appears to be able to accommodate long, narrow-wrap horns. Do you happen to have one you've tried? Conversely, is the interior really 21" long?

Thanks

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Dale, I'm about to buy the version you have because it appears to be able to accommodate long, narrow-wrap horns. Do you happen to have one you've tried? Conversely, is the interior really 21" long?

Thanks

Tom

I'm at work and the case is at home, so I can't measure it for you. My Conn 6B Victor trumpet will fit in this case, and it's longer than a "normal" trumpet (same size as the 1960's Connstellation).
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
...is the interior really 21" long?

Yes it is: a little more than 53,5cm, to be as exact as I can.

EDIT: I had written "23,5cm" instead of "53,5cm"... Just a small mistake!!!

Buescher T-120, HT3.

Last edited by laurent on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
mbradd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's 21" inside without padding. Once you start configuring the padding, you may lose a bit, but probably not enough to make that much of a difference.
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbradd wrote:
Yeah, it's 21" inside without padding. Once you start configuring the padding, you may lose a bit, but probably not enough to make that much of a difference.

And the inside of the case is slightly padded as well, and although this non-removable padding is much thinner than the blocks of foam, it's soft and mellow enough in my opinion to treat well the end of the leadpipe and/or the bell bow and the bell rim!

Buescher T-120, HT3.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:

Hi

Regarding this case, I see that Dale has his cornet upright in one of the slots. I however have a Bach 184ML (I fully appreciate that Dale's is the 184L) and I know that it has a shorter valve block and narrower wrap than my Xeno cornet.

i.e.

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Cornets+1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Cornets+4.jpg

I'd post a picture via Photo Bucket, but it seems to be down.

I'm once again considering case options. Don't even ask why lol, and I am considering the Protec iPac Quad or Triple.

It however makes a difference to me whether my Xeno cornet will stand upright like a trumpet (in the Yamaha double case which was supplied with my Xeno trumpet, my Xeno cornet won't go in one of the trumpet slots upside down either (although I wouldn't want to carry it this way anyhow), owing to its too wide wrap), or have to lay down like a flugel.

Has anyone tried a Yamaha Xeno cornet in either of these cases?

Many thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
mbradd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lou,

I saw you also posted a question about the iPac double as well. While I have not seen a Yamaha Xeno cornet in the iPac cases (I'm guessing it's a "taller" instrument?) I can not imagine that you would not be able to find a configuration in the triple that would work. The triple when configured for a flugel and a trumpet, lays the flugel on it's side. Since you are the one that places the internals, you can easily make sure there is the exact amount of space your horns need.

However, I would be willing to bet that you'd be able to put your cornet in the upright position. My Adams A4 is "taller" than my Bach 37. Bigger bell, heavy valve caps that add almost an inch to the bottom of the valves. I've had no problems with fit.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbradd wrote:
Hi Lou,

I saw you also posted a question about the iPac double as well. While I have not seen a Yamaha Xeno cornet in the iPac cases (I'm guessing it's a "taller" instrument?) I can not imagine that you would not be able to find a configuration in the triple that would work. The triple when configured for a flugel and a trumpet, lays the flugel on it's side. Since you are the one that places the internals, you can easily make sure there is the exact amount of space your horns need.

However, I would be willing to bet that you'd be able to put your cornet in the upright position. My Adams A4 is "taller" than my Bach 37. Bigger bell, heavy valve caps that add almost an inch to the bottom of the valves. I've had no problems with fit.

Hi mbradd

Thank you very much. I understand regarding laying my cornet on its side in a triple if necessary. I am hoping that somebody will know whether it will also fit in the upright position, making the double case also an option.

Thanks again.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
robas92

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Case Reply with quote

I have a Pro-Tec Triple and Quad cases for my horns. They are the best bang for your buck cases IMHO.
Kanstul 920 Piccolo
Blessing 154 RT Flugelhorn

Robert A. Smith

--More horns than I can count!!
----------------------
Do, or do not, there is no try!!--Yoda
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

After telephoning John Packer Ltd in the UK, and discussing this with them, I have ordered the following case:

http://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/JP-Pro-Double-Trumpet-Case.html

As the above link shows, this case is actually the supplied case with the JP371SW Bb Cornet.

Additionally, see the middle paragraph under the cornet picture on the following link:

http://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/xcms_entry.php?xcmsentryid=39

Anyway, John Packer Ltd kindly tried a Yamaha Neo cornet (the gentleman I spoke to also plays a Xeno cornet, and agreed that the wraps of the Xeno and Neo cornets are very similar) and Yamaha Xeno II trumpet in this case, and they comfortably fit with no pressure on the cornet bell.

I therefore decided to order one.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Case Reply with quote

robas92 wrote:
I have a Pro-Tec Triple and Quad cases for my horns. They are the best bang for your buck cases IMHO.

Hi robas92.

Thanks very much. I really like the look of the Pro Tec cases, but decided to go with the one detailed on my post above.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that this Pro-Tec triple seems to be an actual 'case' instead of a gig bag. I have one of the pro-tec triple 'gig bags', the rather large, bulky one, with soft sides and a clip on external mute bag. I am always worried about the lack of protection, plus the way the top cover section is narrow enough to make it difficult to slide horns into the outside two slots without scraping the bell rims against the zippers, or the same issue with a large-bell flugel in the middle slot.

If I had known about this hard-sided triple case, I probably would have bought it instead. I only use the bag version for big band gigs where I need to bring a large amount of gear with me. Flugel, Bb, 4 or 5 mutes, stand lights, mute holders, and such.

I much prefer the highly protective Coyote 2.5 case for just about any other playing when I don't need the flugel with me. (I know there is a weird looking lid for the Coyote to accommodate large flugels, but I don't own one of them.)
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPac triple with wheels is a great airport case, and I use mine for touring and travelling in general. Years ago I was trudging through an airport lugging some heavy triple or quad case over my shoulder, and some guy, not even aware that it was an instrument case, said "you need to get wheels." And he was right! The iPac triple is perfect for the airport as it looks like 90% of the carry on suitcases business travellers bring on board, and the wheels get your trumpet off your back and/or shoulders.

On an extended tour around the USA two years ago, some flying and a lot of bussing, I used the iPac triple for my C, cornet, and rotary C. Not only is it convenient, but even with being tossed under the bus by our friendly but sometimes rough bus driver, my horns never had any damage or wear.

And since it is economically priced, replacing it when it wears out is not painful.

JU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: