• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wallace Mutes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Wallace Mutes Reply with quote

I love this mute. I bought it on a recent trip to London but didn't have time to try the cup mutes. Has anyone tried them, and if so, can you describe the sound vs the more common cups out there? Thanks!

Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mute in the picture, what does it sound like? A bubble mute? A Harmon mute?
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of different straights, which are very good mutes.

I had one of the earlier cups (before they started painting them) which sounded fine and tuning was good but.... it was heavier than any other cup I've had, and the weight distribution meant that when in the bell it was even heavier.

The cup and straight were both (for me) noticeably better than the Wicks, which are my basemark for minimum acceptable performance (with the exception of their harmon, which is trash IMHO).
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
The mute in the picture, what does it sound like? A bubble mute? A Harmon mute?

It actually has the ability to sound like a bubble, a harmon and a solotone all in one. The "stem" is fixed as part of the mute. There is a plastic column with O-rings inside that can be moved as far in, or out, as you like giving it a ton of different sounds.
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Greg Black Mouthpieces
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
I've had a couple of different straights, which are very good mutes.

I had one of the earlier cups (before they started painting them) which sounded fine and tuning was good but.... it was heavier than any other cup I've had, and the weight distribution meant that when in the bell it was even heavier.

The cup and straight were both (for me) noticeably better than the Wicks, which are my basemark for minimum acceptable performance (with the exception of their harmon, which is trash IMHO).

I agree about the Wick mutes. Love the cup for non-jazz playing. The harmon ..... not so much .... for any playing. Lol
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought it on a recent trip to London but didn't have time to try the cup mutes. Has anyone tried them, and if so, can you describe the sound vs the more common cups out there?

It's difficult to characterize the sound of a mute in words, but here goes. To me, the Wallace cup mute has more bite in the sound than a Humes and Berg Stone Lined or a Ray Robinson. There is also more of a nasal quality to the sound of the Wallace, though less nasal than a Walt Johnson cup mute.

The Wallace cup mute handles dynamic extremes well. Softs are clear, and louds do not distort (much).

I used the Wallace cup mute for a rehearsal of West Side Story (selection for orchestra), and thought it worked really well for that. Blended fine in the section, and carried well.
Norman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have the Wallace straight/cup set, which is basically a straight mute with two different shaped cups to fit on it. The cup can be adjusted in different positions along the mute, so that the distance from the bell is different, and you can get different sounds from each cup.

I also own the classic H&B cup mute, and can confirm that the Wallace sounds remarkably different, so it might be a problem to blend in a section, but for solo work it is fantastic. Intonation is very good as well.

The only real downside of the Wallace is the weight.
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
I bought it on a recent trip to London but didn't have time to try the cup mutes. Has anyone tried them, and if so, can you describe the sound vs the more common cups out there?

It's difficult to characterize the sound of a mute in words, but here goes. To me, the Wallace cup mute has more bite in the sound than a Humes and Berg Stone Lined or a Ray Robinson. There is also more of a nasal quality to the sound of the Wallace, though less nasal than a Walt Johnson cup mute.

The Wallace cup mute handles dynamic extremes well. Softs are clear, and louds do not distort (much).

I used the Wallace cup mute for a rehearsal of West Side Story (selection for orchestra), and thought it worked really well for that. Blended fine in the section, and carried well.

Thanks so much. You're right it's tough to describe a mute using words sometimes. The Wick is the only metal cup mute I've ever used so that would be my only reference. From your description it sounds like it may just have those qualities of a metal mute vs. non-metal (i.e the stone lined or Robinson).
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Greg Black Mouthpieces
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman wrote:
Hi, I have the Wallace straight/cup set, which is basically a straight mute with two different shaped cups to fit on it. The cup can be adjusted in different positions along the mute, so that the distance from the bell is different, and you can get different sounds from each cup.

I also own the classic H&B cup mute, and can confirm that the Wallace sounds remarkably different, so it might be a problem to blend in a section, but for solo work it is fantastic. Intonation is very good as well.

Thanks Norman. Can you describe the 2 cups? What makes them different from each other and from other adjustable cup mutes?
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Norman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgt0412 wrote:
Norman wrote:

Thanks Norman. Can you describe the 2 cups? What makes them different from each other and from other adjustable cup mutes?

Hi, the two cups have different shapes, and this changes the sound. Unfortunately this is the only adjustable cup mute I ever tried, so I really cannot compare! Also, they are made of plastic, and this I think makes the biggest difference compared to the H&B. If you are looking for the classic "big band era" cup mute sound, I don't think that the Wallace is the right choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: