• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Heavy weight valve caps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetdude0823

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Heavy weight valve caps Reply with quote

I have gone back and forth trying to decide if i should invest in Heavy weight valve caps for my Bb trumpet. My biggest fear is if they actually work or if they just look "cool" on your trumpet. I am searching for trumpet players who have actually used them and seen or have not seen results?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll feel a difference... You might like it, you might not.

They only "actually work" if you like the change.

I've tried them on certain​ horns where I liked the difference, some I could go either way and a couple I couldn't imagine why anyone would possibly want to even try it.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on you and the trumpet..

On my Bb and C I've used a single heavy bottom cap on the 3rd valve. Adds a little solidity to some of the notes but not so heavy that it dulls out the tone and response.

On my Flugel and Cornet I currently have a heavy bottom cap on valves 1 & 3.

To add to you query, I've also found that I like adding a single "tone ring" to the 3rd valve (bottom) on my Bach Bb - not the weight of a heavy cap but seems to accomplish the same focussing of certain overtones without changing the tone as noticaeably.

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=23187
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an entire industry of aftermarket gear for trumpets.

Heavy valve caps will add more mass to the trumpet. More weight will change the sound, response and the way the horn projects. That much we can all agree on.

But is it a good thing? That's subjective. Does it make the horn play "better"? Also subjective.

Is it just one more thing to complicate an already difficult instrument to master? YES.

I've seen guys lose their minds fidgeting with gear tying to get some magic equation if the right weight, and which shim to put in their bottom cap, and which valve needs more weight than the other, and "ohhh their are three different weight heavy valve caps...better buy them all and get the best combination"

They keep putzing around with gear and lose sight of practicing music and becoming a better trumpet player. I went through my share of mouthpiece safaris, and gear buys and such. But the best thing I EVER did was give away all that gear and only keep a few variations of my mouthpiece. Just so I'm not tempted to go back and go insane looking for some perfect combination of gear.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
There's an entire industry of aftermarket gear for trumpets.

Heavy valve caps will add more mass to the trumpet. More weight will change the sound, response and the way the horn projects. That much we can all agree on.

But is it a good thing? That's subjective. Does it make the horn play "better"? Also subjective.

Is it just one more thing to complicate an already difficult instrument to master?
Also subjective.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Adams Flugel came with a heavy cap on the third valve. I never questioned it or felt tempted to change. My York Cornet had heavy valve caps that came as an option. I tried using them and hated it. To me they dull the sound.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone back and forth with various weights of top and bottom caps and buttons on different horns. The only conclusion I've come to is if the horn was not designed to be used with heavier caps and buttons, their affect was either slight or nothing.

To the OP: a set of bottom caps, maybe for example Mark Curry's, are not terribly expensive and many dealers have a return policy. The only way you'll know for sure if YOU like what they do is try them.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Thu May 25, 2017 12:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is not spoken about is 'what re you trying to fix?'

Look cool? forget about it.
Want to fit in with the crowd? forget about it.
Want a broader, warmer sound? forget about it.

Have a trumpet which lacks core and focus? TRY it.

Heavy caps add some centre and core to some instruments. A mate's very unfriendly Bach C, which was for all intents and purposes, useless, benefited from 3 heavy caps to the extent he likes the horn again. (There are some places to never take your horn for modifications!)

cheers

Andy
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heavy caps I've tried on my various Bach instruments (Bb cornet, Bb trumpet, C trumpet) seemed to add a bit to the lower overtones in the sound, but made the horns feel a little stuffy and harder to play above the staff. Less of the effect with a single cap on the 3rd valve, but still not a desirable change on any of them. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually end up with a dime or washer in the 3rd bottom valve cap.
I sometimes experiment with heavy valve caps on the 1st and 3rd and find it to be fine in a live room by myself - then I end up putting the stock caps back on in concert band using just a dime or washer in the 3rd cap.

Heavy caps seem to make the horn project better yet reduce my feedback and so make it harder to hear myself in the section.

[Oh - for players of old Conn trumpets and cornets - the top valve caps from the 60's horns make dandy medium heavy bottom valve caps.]
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information: What kind of horn are you playing?

Why I ask: Most of my standard weight Bach trumpets have responded well to heavy Bach caps, spaced with O-rings. Lightweight Bachs have sometimes not responded well to heavier caps, it's been an individual horn situation. Standard weight Bach trumpets have generally responded better with Bach heavier caps, but other makes of even heavier caps have not been as successful for me on my Bach horns. Schilke horns have been hit and miss, and the best caps for me have been the Schilke caps with the internal weight as supplied by Schilke. Those even heavier caps have not worked for Schilke horns at all for me (I have a beautiful set of Ccaps for sale if anyone is interested). For Yamaha trumpets, weighting only the third valve cap has proven best for me. Typically, I use a stainless bolt with the threads tapped out, glued into place. If it pops out, I clean the internal part of the cap and glue again. Weighting all three has made every Bb or C Yamaha trumpet I have ever owned worse, never better. Heavier caps for Yamahas have never worked well for me.

Sometimes, spacing your regular weight caps with O-rings can be of some advantage on some instruments. My Kanstul Piccolo has all four regular weight caps spaced with o-rings, and it has helped the horn be even better. My Schilke E3L works well with the Schilke weighted caps, but my E3L-4 plays best with no weights and no spaced o-rings.

I can go on and on with experiment and experiences, but the best step is likely for you to work with your own instrument and find what works best. Sometimes, instruments are absolutely best when they are played as created by their makers. Other times, all sorts of thinks can be helpful to improve your instrument.

Good luck,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Trumpetdude0823

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a Bach Strad. and at times I feel like the horn is brighter than maybe a Yamaha, of Schilke would be.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most "heavy" caps just aren't heavy enough to make a difference. If it will help, it will reduce feedback and increase projection.

I have not found any situation where added mass will achieve a result like making your Bach less bright - but that goes directly against what might be considered conventional thinking here. I attribute this difference to being fooled by the sound in the section, rather than guided by the sound out front.

If you want your Bach to be less bright you need to play it that way, and maybe a different mpc may help; but be sure that's what your Conductor wants!
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetdude0823 wrote:
I play on a Bach Strad. and at times I feel like the horn is brighter than maybe a Yamaha, of Schilke would be.

Heavy caps will not address this very well. If you want a horn to play darker (a subjective term if ever there was one), looking at the mouthpiece, leadpipe or tuning slide would be a better, more productive idea.

For example, M/K makes some excellent rounded tuning crooks in a variety of materials that can enhance the sound you are trying to create. I use one in bronze on my Bach Bb, fully rounded without a connecting bar between the top and bottom of the slide. It makes a huge difference, as does the Malone MB2 Bb leadpipe on my trumpet. My Bach C has an MC2 with a Malone fully rounded tuning crook (also have a squared off one), and it made a huge difference in the tone of the trumpet.

But the fastest change one can often make is a deeper cup, larger diameter rim, or more open throat or backbore. Again, these are not HARD AND FAST absolutes, but are potential solutions for your desired changes.

What mouthpiece do you play?
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Trumpetdude0823

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a shires 3C, it feels great and i have a good sound without sacrificing range, but recently i have been looking into Parke mouthpieces and how they could possibly benefit me
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetdude0823 wrote:
I play on a shires 3C, it feels great and i have a good sound without sacrificing range, but recently i have been looking into Parke mouthpieces and how they could possibly benefit me

Out of curiosity, why Parke?

I took a quick look at their website and they only list F Horn, Euphonium, trombone and tuba pieces now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: