• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Alien: Covenant

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Alien: Covenant Reply with quote

Does someone know who recorded the soundtrack? Especially the opening and closing themes (it has a trumpet solo with a gorgeous tone)
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere it was Philip Cobb. Also heard it was amazing.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Alien: Covenant Reply with quote

lmaraya wrote:
Does someone know who recorded the soundtrack? Especially the opening and closing themes (it has a trumpet solo with a gorgeous tone)

Don't know about the soundtrack.....

How was the movie? I've been an Alien fan since the 80s!!! I loved the last prequel but heard some mixed reviews about Covenant. How was it?
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll for a LONG time...it was done by the London Contemporary Orchestra.

www.imdb.com/title/tt2316204/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

No trumpet soloist listed. Give it some time - I'm sure the exact name will get found out soon.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Alien: Covenant Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
lmaraya wrote:

How was the movie? I've been an Alien fan since the 80s!!! I loved the last prequel but heard some mixed reviews about Covenant. How was it?

I am also a big fan of alien movies and I thought it was one of the best ones.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
I read somewhere it was Philip Cobb. Also heard it was amazing.

Mr. Clean nailed it!

from Terry Warburton's face book page:

"Just found out that the awesome trumpet solos at the beginning and end of the new Alien movie, were played by Philip Cobb, Principal trumpet of the London Symphony, on a Warburton 5MD."

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, crud, no wonder I don't sound like that, I need a 5MD! Nice to see (hear) trumpet featured like that.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read a fascinating write-up of the history of the Alien soundtracks. Though I can't find the article now. Sounds like most all the composers got burned one way or another.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
mattypatty

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Alien: Covenant Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
lmaraya wrote:

It was OK. Much to my surprise, I found that I preferred Prometheus. CGI was surprisingly flat, which took tension out of a lot of scenes that were supposed to be visceral; as such, it lacks that one real "wow scene" that have typified the better Alien movies. These new movies might as well be dubbed "The David Chronicles." Worth a watch if you like this I.P., but don't go in looking to be blown away.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Alien: Covenant Reply with quote

mattypatty wrote:
CGI was surprisingly flat, which took tension out of a lot of scenes that were supposed to be visceral; as such, it lacks that one real "wow scene" that have typified the better Alien movies.

I've felt this about a lot of movies from the last 2 decades. CGI has come a looong way, but... you can still usually tell that the animated subject isn't a part of the shot. Looking back on scenes in Empire Strikes Back, when Luke is training with Yoda... sure, Yoda's mouth or eyes don't move with the full dexterity of a real person, but it still looks so much better and more real because the puppet is actually right there in the shot with Mark Hamill. Or the animatronic scenes in Jurassic park...

Maybe someday CGI will get there. But I agree, I also feel like I don't get pulled into a scene as much when I can tell that something is CGI.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more obviously 'fake' now with HD as the shooting medium from the start. There is no film grain to hide the CGI behind anymore, so it's more obvious.
RL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Phill Cob indeed...

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/alien-covenant-jed-kurzel/31033281
OldKing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the first one the night it opened in Dallas. Theater was so packed the wife had to sit on the row in front of me, front row. I almost had to change my drawers when we got outa there. When you have no idea what's going on or what the creature even looks like (the trailers never let on and did a great job of generating "buzz") , it's a heckuva lot scarier.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Alien Reply with quote

Hello all,
Hey, I play a 5MD! There is hope...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: