• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why vintage trumpets are better?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hear trumpet players talk, the world of trumpets is precarious, "bad" trumpets are everywhere, you have to test a lot of trumpets to find a "good" one. This is a symptom of an epidemic: Blaming equipment for the shortcomings of the player. Thus, the eternal search for the "perfect" trumpet, the "perfect" mouthpiece, the "perfect" gadget."

You mean that if I were to get a 1939 Martin Committee #3 to go with the NY Bach 3 mouthpiece that I have I'm not going to sound just like Chris Botti. Life is over as I know it.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcjway wrote:
To hear trumpet players talk, the world of trumpets is precarious, "bad" trumpets are everywhere, you have to test a lot of trumpets to find a "good" one. This is a symptom of an epidemic: Blaming equipment for the shortcomings of the player. Thus, the eternal search for the "perfect" trumpet, the "perfect" mouthpiece, the "perfect" gadget."

You mean that if I were to get a 1939 Martin Committee #3 to go with the NY Bach 3 mouthpiece that I have I'm not going to sound just like Chris Botti. Life is over as I know it.

I sound just like Chris Botti most of the time.

Whenever both of us aren't playing.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcjway wrote:

Until someone invents a "clam trap" that can be installed in your horn to automatically trap the bad notes and replace them with good notes we'll all just have to keep practicing. Life (and playing trumpet) is complicated.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one don't believe the whole bad trumpet notion, unless of course it's a mechanical issue every one I've tried all sound decent with decent valve action. I have 3 "tso's" that I think are nice, I've given away 2 that were just fine. All but one had valve issues but after about a year of regular play and stepped up cleaning they've all got pretty good valves-as good as a Strad? No way! As good as my t602 Collegiate-yes. What I'm getting at is to me an amateur player vintage or not they all play good but different. I got to try a lot of killer vintage brass this past Sunday and some very new. All played great. New has the added benefit of consistent performance across the model lines because of computer controlled manufacturing, warranties and it's new. Find a horn you like-vintage, new, student, cornet whatever if you're comfortable playing it that's what counts. Vintage and antique horns will always have a cool factor that new ones don't seem to have though
robbrand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
Well, good for them. Let's see:

Michael Sachs, Early Elkhart Bach 229
Carl Saunders, 60ish Benge he's had since the 60ish's
Paul Litteral (Uptown Horns), 2-25 yr old Kanstul
Brad Goode, 90 year old Vega's and Kings
Thomas Scott, 50 yr old Olds Mendez
Chris Botti
Gabriel Johnson, both on Martins

Not dissing new horns; I LOVE the line of commercial Bachs, and their newer Ebs are the best I've played. And Adams? Wow! But quite frankly, as Zig Kanstul told me, the King Liberty was one of the best designs in brass history. And you can grab my Martin from my cold, dead hands.

ed

Michael Sachs' Bach 229 - that's the one he uses for most of his orchestral playing - was made in 1979. Does that make it vintage, or just old?
My Courtois was made around 1982 - I don't regard it as a vintage horn.
But when is a horn ``vintage''? When it is 50 years old? No longer manufactured?
Besson USA 620 cornet
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:
Here in Chicago, there is this band that plays downtown - I think they are called the CSO. They play some old Bach trumpets from 1956.

I think most of them play modern Yamaha artist models.
Piccolo Stomvi
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dcjway"]To hear trumpet players talk, the world of trumpets is precarious, "bad" trumpets are everywhere, you have to test a lot of trumpets to find a "good" one. This is a symptom of an epidemic: Blaming equipment for the shortcomings of the player. Thus, the eternal search for the "perfect" trumpet, the "perfect" mouthpiece, the "perfect" gadget."

I play lots of trumpets in my work, and only a few are "bad", meaning they really suck. Most play fine, sort of in the "well, this is a trumpet" range. Once in a while, I am fortunate enough to play one that stands out from the rest. My buddy's Meha, some Bachs that really feel open, etc. are ones that come to mind. If you are taking them out on gigs/rehearsals etc., that's when some things become apparent that don't necessarily appear in the practice room.
I agree that there is no perfect anything.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcjway wrote:
Well said reminds me of the story about the Violin "In the masters hands".
Very good point...I watched a documentary once about a blind test by top violinists.
There were judges and even an audience who scored them on their performances.
They were comparing several modern violins vs. a Guarneri del Gesł & Stradivari.
The majority chose one specific modern maker but thought it was the Strad, which actually came in last.

I'd love to see this done with trumpets!
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
dcjway wrote:
Very good point...I watched a documentary once about a blind test by top violinists.
They were comparing several modern violins vs. a Guarneri del Gesł & Stradivari.
The majority chose one specific modern maker but thought it was the Strad, which actually came in last.

Check your pm!!!
spach
Veteran Member

Location: yazoo county, ms via northern calif. via central calif. via southern calif.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
dcjway wrote:

It isn't clear from your statement if the players were "blind" or if the audience was. Either way, a truly objective test would be for both the player and the audience to not know what instrument was being played. If the player expects a particular horn to play better, he/she will probably play it better. The opposite condition also applies.
1925 (or '34) MEHA (#878**)(.460)(4 3/4" bell)(32.6 oz.)
"Where, then, does the soul reside with its better body while it awaits the sound of the trumpet?"--Stephen J. Gould
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's often been said that the audience only knows what the horn sounds like; they don't care about anything else.

However, as a player, I'm only concerned with how the horn feels and reacts. I basically sound the same on every horn I play. Slotting, resistance, pitch and ease of response are everything to me; they make the difference between a good performance and one in which I struggle. Therefore, I never choose a horn based upon sound.

I have not played an instrument made in the last 50 years that meets my expectations for an excellent trumpet. Period.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
...If you are taking them out on gigs/rehearsals etc., that's when some things become apparent that don't necessarily appear in the practice room...

This is very true and something everyone should remember. I've played lots of horns in music stores, at trumpet conferences, at my house, etc. Some that seemed great in those situations were just so-so when taken to a rehearsal and used "in the heat of battle". The only way to tell if you REALLY like an instrument is to live with it a while and use it in rehearsal/performance situations. Intonation issues, ease of play, tone, etc. will become more apparent in real-world use.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbrand wrote:
Love this discussion!
As a rank amateur, I'm not really qualified to contribute - but here's one observation: you'd be hard-pressed to find any top professional playing a vintage trumpet as a first-choice horn. Those ``lifeless'' modern Yamahas, Bachs, etc are good enough for the vast majority of orchestral players and soloists.
I have three horns, one of which probably qualifies as vintage and another of which is 20 years old, and they're all great. But if I had to make do with only one of them, it would be the newest - the Yamaha.

Unless you've taken a poll of a large number of professional players, there's no way you could possibly make a statement like you have. Even orchestral players who may be using Bachs may have trumpets made in New York, Mt. Vernon, or early Elkhart. Or maybe they're playing F. Besson Paris trumpets, or Benges.
Selmer model #43
Selmer Concept
Baldwin Custom (Blessing Artist stencil)
1923 Buescher shepherd's crook
1880 F. Besson Paris
Trumpets:
1931 Cleveland Greyhound
1935 Olds French model
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To begin this post, I believe the term "vintage" pertains to something 25 years old or older.

Throughout my professional career I've played many trumpets and cornets. Vintage horns represent good value, especially if they are in excellent condition and good playing instruments. I've bought and sold lots of horns, and I've found many closet horns that were either played only for a short time and put away, or those owned by people who kept them in excellent condition. To me, if makes absolutely no difference whether the horn was 10, 40, or 100 years old. If it played well and was responsive, it worked FOR ME, and, for the players who bought those horns from me.

I still own a number of horns even though I no longer play professionally. I only own one "modern" horn, bought new, a Selmer Concept cornet. It's a beautifully made instrument that is a wonderful player. But - is it BETTER than some of my vintage horns? No, but certainly on a par with some of the vintage horns I own.

Last year I bought a 1969 Selmer model 43 cornet. These are rare horns as Selmer didn't make very many of them. This cornet was owned by someone who rarely played it, so it's in incredible condition. It is now my favorite cornet. I also bought a like-new 1977 Benge cornet from the daughter of the original owner. Again - rarely played, and a totally killer horn, which I bought for a fraction of the cost of a new cornet.

A few years back I bought, and very sadly sold, one of the best trumpets I've ever played: a 1936 King Silvertone Artist model. Just unbelievable; a closet horn in impeccable condition.

I used to work in a band where the leader a modern cornet and trumpet by the same maker. He bought them new. I played both and didn't like either one.

So from my experience I can't buy into the notion that modern horns are better than vintage. But I do recommend a player buys the horn that works the best for he or she. If it's modern - fine. If it's vintage - fine.
Selmer model #43
Selmer Concept
Baldwin Custom (Blessing Artist stencil)
1923 Buescher shepherd's crook
1880 F. Besson Paris
Trumpets:
1931 Cleveland Greyhound
1935 Olds French model
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....of course, in 25 years time, the new horn bought today will be "vintage"...

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how much better your horn plays after you get fit for a GR piece by a competent consultant.

Of all the people who have tried my horns, none have outright said they sucked. Might not have matched their playing style or mouthpiece though.

Just another vintage horn worth trying and undervalued at the moment.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Amazing how much better your horn plays after you get fit for a GR piece by a competent consultant.

Of all the people who have tried my horns, none have outright said they sucked. Might not have matched their playing style or mouthpiece though.

Just another vintage horn worth trying and undervalued at the moment.

Tom

I do not possess a GR mouthpiece, so I might have a fit when I try to play my vintage horns
Seriously, a good mpc - horn combo is always essential.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spach wrote:
It isn't clear from your statement if the players were "blind" or if the audience was. Either way, a truly objective test would be for both the player and the audience to not know what instrument was being played.
Sorry about that, it indeed was a "double blind" experiment...neither the players nor the
judges or audience knew what instrument was being played. That's what made the results
so surprising.

bg wrote:
I have not played an instrument made in the last 50 years that meets my expectations for an excellent trumpet. Period.
This statement speaks volumes! When a player of Mr. Goode's caliber has this opinion, it validates my horn choices.
Someone mentioned metallurgy before, this has much to do with it IMHO...
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a point to consider:

Yes, with CNC technology, consistency is WAY up. One buying a new horn today from a major manufacturer is less likely than ever to get a dud. But back in the day, extremely talented artist/craftsmen designed and built amazing horns. There was less consistency back then, especially as a maker became successful, expanded operations, and produced more and more horns, making it necessary to hire more and more workers. We can see this drop in consistency effect in the histories of all the major trumpet manufacturers, and that's why some of the Mt. Vernon Bachs, early Elkhart Bachs, Chicago Benges, Burbank Benges and early Los Angeles Benges are so sought after.

There's a reason I wrote "some": There were duds from that early era and a lot of them in comparison to what's being made today. But the duds of yesteryear are largely gone now (because they sucked and were eventually discarded). Sure, some are still out there being sold (over and over) on eBay. But I think for the most part, the horns from the early era that have survived, have survived because they were the "players" - the great horns - from that era. "Survival of the fittest."

There are exceptions to the way most companies had a drop in quality and consistency as they grew and expanded. Schilke comes to mind immediately. With few exceptions, each and every Schilke built throughout the company history, has been a great horn. I think a large part of the reason for this is that Renold ruled the company with an iron fist. And truth be told, Schilke has never enjoyed the level of success and company expansion that rocketed Bach and Benge to massive amounts of production (compared to when the companies were working out of home garages and such). When thinking of Renold, Zig Kanstul comes to mind - another dictatorial ruler that in turn created a successful company that turns out high quality products of good consistency. There are others, but my gosh, this post is already majorly loooooonnng...

There, I think I've summed it all up - but I have a feeling another five pages of replies are still on the way.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: