• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Portable music stand

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks here in the D.C. area use the Wenger Gig Stand. It's a pretty different concept, but the folks who use it swear by it.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revising an old thread. I finally grew weary of my traditional fold up wire stand - it lasted a little over a year before breaking and I never was happy with it (the top part that holds the music was too small and flimsy). So, I decided to look for options and came across this thread - it had some good suggestions.

I finally decided to get a Desca Presto and I am very happy with it.

http://www.descahome.com

So far, there isn't anything about this stand that I don't like. Compared to the more traditional fold up wire stands, it is more solid, has a larger music shelf and an integrated carrying handle that eliminates the need for a separate carrying bag. Oh, and the price is surprisingly reasonable. It seems to me that for a truly portable stand this one is tough to beat.

If you wanted anything more substantial (heavier) than the Desca Presto, you'd have to give up the benefit of a truly portable design. For example, I also have a Nomad NBS-1410 Heavy-Duty Music Stand. It is a very solid stand, but I don't take it very often because it isn't as portable as the Desca Presto.

Also, the Desca company is a mom & pop shop so they are very customer service oriented. I can't imagine why you might have a problem, but if you did, you can talk to the CEO.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to order a Desca a few years ago, when they were 'between' product revamping or something. Nothing was available, and not even a timeline. Waited months, still nothing.

So, I ended up buying a Peak instead. Works fine, solid, durable, easy to carry, does pretty much the same things the Desca is supposed to do.

I just got the feeling they were a little too mom and pop, if they had nothing at all to sell for a long time.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to buy a Desca, too, but the only payment option was Pay Pal. I just wanted to use my Visa like I do everywhere else. I suggested tghey offer more payment options but never heard back.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Desca concept though I'd really want to get my hands on one to assess the stability and strength before I'd buy or recommend it. I've bought a Peak, but though it works adequately, am sort of underwhelmed by it. Mind you my previous was a big solid top, folding bottom all metal stand which was very sturdy,...until it broke.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manhasset Voyager. It won't fit in a trumpet case, but is easy to carry in its carry case, and is substantial in use.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are multiple versions of the Peak, some smaller (and less sturdy) than others.

Of late, mostly because I play in one group with a huge book that weighs almost as much as a trumpet case, I actually just lug a regular steel manhasset with me to gigs, because it's about the only thing that can hold it reliably.

My preference would be to just jam it all into my ipad, but the scanning time alone is daunting. For almost every other thing now, I have it all in forscore and only keep paper around as a backup, usually left in the car.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
There are multiple versions of the Peak, some smaller (and less sturdy) than others.

Of late, mostly because I play in one group with a huge book that weighs almost as much as a trumpet case, I actually just lug a regular steel manhasset with me to gigs, because it's about the only thing that can hold it reliably.

My preference would be to just jam it all into my ipad, but the scanning time alone is daunting. For almost every other thing now, I have it all in forscore and only keep paper around as a backup, usually left in the car.

Just did my first gig playing off ForScore. Showed up for an orchestra rehearsal to sub for the regular principle who was absent. No one had a copy of the part for Night on Bald Mountian. The tuba player downloaded the part from IMSLP to his iPad. Worked great. Something I see myself doing more of in the future.

Next gig is with a wind ensemble. The first rehearsal I scanned all the music into my iPhone using a program called GeniusScan which produces very clean PDFs. It took just a few minutes. I did it on my music stand, between tunes. Way quicker than with my flatbed scanner.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I scanned all the music into my iPhone using a program called GeniusScan which produces very clean PDFs. It took just a few minutes. I did it on my music stand, between tunes. Way quicker than with my flatbed scanner.

Wow, thanks for the tip. Downloading now!
Piccolo Stomvi
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on about a scanner app being much faster than a flatbed.

Most of them do pure black and white as an option too, which really helps with contrast on older, faded parts. Also nice to have keystoning/parallax adjustment so the camera doesn't have to be perfectly parallel to the paper, etc.

I use Scanner Pro, which is like many of them, but I love the way it automatically syncs to a dropbox folder (and then into Forscore). Also, it auto-focuses, so you can lay out multiple pages and scan them in very quickly. It also auto-crops quite accurately at page boundaries, which some do, some do not handle so well.

I'm not sure if GeniusScan is one of the others I tried, I went through five or six before settling on Scanner Pro. Each had it's own pros and cons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: