• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Embouchure Demystfied! Four Step Setup Method

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth. Leon Merian set up that way. Last thing he did when setting in the mouthpiece was to snear ( as he described it )
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video Charlie! Your descriptions are patient and very informative. I have had several teachers and none have been as thorough as your demonstrations on embouchure. I'm going to give it a try!
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with this approach when the video first appeared and it looks now like I will be sticking with it. The only downsides are I don't get perfect placement every time yet, and it takes a few extra seconds to set up; getting better by the day on both counts though.

If you are having problems with your sound closing off in higher notes I strongly recommend giving it a serious go.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I started experimenting with this, I had my first rehearsal with a rock band. Usually I get a bit more beat up than I did. I'll be curious to see if the results hold when I perform with them this weekend. And FWIW, I worked with the mirror and visualizer only once, but that effort now informs how I try to set my embouchure and how I expect it to work. It's really early, but so far that alone feels like it's helping.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a nasty bug which kept me from practicing for a month. I was anxious to try out this set up when I was able to practice again.

Just before laying off practice, I had kind of lost my way on my embouchure. My range suffered quite a bit. I had just developed the ability to squeak out a double high C, then lost it. I was struggling to hit a C above the staff. I was getting a little frustrated.

Yesterday I practiced for the first time in a month. I wasn't expecting much. I tried out Charlie's approach and I managed to get through part II of Lesson 9 in Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Practice. I got to a double high C. Naturally, I was thrilled, but a little cautious. I wanted to see what would happen on day 2. Today, I again reached a double high C.

It appears that Charlie's instruction helped me find my way again.

I don't think that I am doing exactly what Charlie described. I am not pinning my lips with pressure from the mouthpiece. Still, the tip on maintaining space between the lips and the approach to setting up my embouchure seems to be paying big dividends.

All I can say is that it seems to be working for me. I am very thankful that Charlie took the time to make the video and post it.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
trumpetrange

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else find step 2 difficult to achieve? When my lips are together as suggested, they don't bulge forward when the mouthpiece/visualizer makes contact. I have to unfurl from corner to corner in order for a bulge to form, which seems to defeat the object.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Since I started experimenting with this, I had my first rehearsal with a rock band. Usually I get a bit more beat up than I did. I'll be curious to see if the results hold when I perform with them this weekend. And FWIW, I worked with the mirror and visualizer only once, but that effort now informs how I try to set my embouchure and how I expect it to work. It's really early, but so far that alone feels like it's helping.

Just finished a 3 set rock gig. It was loud and the book was higher than I'm comfortable playing. I set up somewhat like Charlie describes and I specifically avoided some of the pitfalls he outlined. I got through a good deal better than expected. And the Chicago medley near the end of the 3rd set came out better than every time before. I'm definitely going to be looking harder into these videos.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
elgin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: The Protocol Reply with quote

NoNameJustMe wrote:
It's interesting, once his embouchure is all set up it looks very similar to that of Lynn Nicholson on the rim. Of course a vastly different approach but I wonder if there is some kind of connection.

I had the same thought. Lynn said that the volume in the upper register was because the lips were vibrating from edge to edge. Lynn also cautioned NOT to use his approach in ones normal range. It looks like both methods are controlling the aperture the same way: decreasing the aperture width with a slight sneer, but not smiling. (Levators and depressors oppose the orbicularis oris). If done without stretching the mouth corners back, the lips will not thin significantly.
Patrick 5.3C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: