• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Extend the harmonic series?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldKing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Extend the harmonic series? Reply with quote

A good friend that went to North Texas with me has periodically advised me over the years on Caruso. He sent me a multi-week program that included adding the next higher note on the harmonic series when I'm comfortable.

I'm coming up on a year after picking the horn back up. My question is - do I keep adding notes on top of the harmonic series, as long as they speak freely and easily?

Thanks.
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: When? Reply with quote

Just curious, when were you there and who did you study with?
OldKing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: When? Reply with quote

Jabroni wrote:
Just curious, when were you there and who did you study with?

Graduated in '82. May they forgive me, but I can't remember any of the TA's names that taught me. (But I DO remember some of the things they taught me. Weird how that works. Thank you gentlemen.)

Took from Haynie junior and senior year. Didn't make it in the lab band program. Subbed on second in the 2 once, maybe twice. It was like being strapped along side a bullet train!

I taught for 3 years, then essentially laid the horn down for 30.

Last edited by OldKing on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Ok well before me. I graduated in 2000. I have found that using some of the Caruso exercises to be beneficial, however for me, following that entire method does not work. The Harmonics study is great, providing you are relaxed, blowing forward, not forcing, and making an open beautiful sound. The air must not be forced but flowing faster as you play. No tension.

I hope this helps!
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmine had me extend the harmonic series as far as double C (eventually-over a period of years). I added a new partial to this exercise whenever I was ready. I spent at least one week on each level before adding another partial and stayed on some as much as 6 weeks before they began to work.

One thing was that (at least for me) he had me extend the harmonics as in the book (quarter notes and a four count hold on the last note of each series) until I got fairly consistent with the high G (and down the fingerings-the 5th note of each key). After that we modified the exercise. I would play the exercise in 8th notes, ascending to the target note and then descending to the root, holding the (low) root for 4 counts. I think Charlie describes this in one of the Getting Started sticky threads (which everyone should read in the order they are numbered).
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience was the same as Pat's. Through partial 12 (high G), quarter notes ending on the top note. From there on, eighth notes, up and down, ending at the bottom with a whole note. I don't remember extending this beyond double C. At some point however, I can't remember if it came totally after the harmonics went to double C or while that was going on, Carmine had me do scales that took me from double pedal C to double high C and back.

Alan
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I understood it from Carmine was that, after the exercise became the up and down eighth notes, the top note should be one that you can't make (that may come out as just air). When that air eventually became a note, then you would go to the next higher one. In practice, for me this has been allowing myself to successfully get a piece of the highest note for a couple of weeks and then moving the attempt up to the next note.

FWIW, after many years of playing this exercise, the note I am currently trying to get to come out (on the open segment) is F# above dbl C. I can manage a few notes above that outside of the exercise, but, in the exercise, I was stuck for a long time at the D above dbl C. After a slight tweak in my setting (made for non Caruso reasons) things have begun moving slowly upwards again on the Harmonics.

But it's just an exercise. I play it and move to the next one.
OldKing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone. This will give me enough to work on for quite a while, along with my other exercises, etudes, and music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: