• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C Trumpet, Large Bore, Going Sharp on High G

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottseward wrote:
I have talked with Brian at GR - very helpful.

I think what this comes down to is that I have always been more comfortable on Bb. I took a lesson from Mark Inouye a few years ago, and he made that comment. I wanted to deny the truth, because I want to sound at ease on a C, but I still struggle.

I went through a period of experimentation with Monette, and the Prada throats caused all sorts of problems. When I first tried the GR, it seemed to have the right balance of throat opening and backbone. I tried the sleeves, because I thought they might be the elusive answer for C trumpet.

I know that I am probably trying to many things, but I am 50 years old and have played since I was 8. I went to music school, where because I was an ed. major, my education was geared more toward learning music, rather than breaking down my playing.

I'm not ready to give up, but this is a tremendous source of frustration. I recognize that I am not the most efficient player, but I don't think my equipment helps me, since I seem to have found a set-up and comfort level with the Bb trumpet. Thanks again for the advice

I also went through a Monette phase and Prana pieces also almost messed me up for good.

Although I ended up on something else, Brian at GR was great help. For me, it's a balance of playing both horns regularly. I can even get squirrelly on the Bb if I play nothing but C for a while.

I used to play different pieces on Bb and C mostly because that's what everyone seemed to be doing, but latey it's been the same...and also a slightly smaller rim size than I've played in the past. For *me* that (rim diameter) was the key which unlocked the door for everything as far as being a relaxed, efficient player.

Anyway, good luck on you quest. If you are comfortable on the 67C** just stick with that for a while, and I'll bet the C will come around with some regular use.

J.
Lukarino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you just play G 1+3 and kick to get it in tune? The only problem would be if that creates a different timbre on your horn. One guy who played my C trumpet even said it sounded better with 1+3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: