• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Happiness

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmaudlin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Happiness Reply with quote

Well my wife died after 42 years of marriage from diabetes. I miss her very much. I thought I should start playing the trumpet again. I sold all of my horns so I went and bought a new horn. I look forward to playing every day.
I have a mile high of books from the 60's and 70's. so I have plenty to play. I enjoy the old memories I have from the old days with trumpet lessons and when I play they come back to me. All of the notes from my lessons are still in my books. I enjoy playing the songs and etudes the best. K tonging sucked back Then and it still sucks so forget that. I warm up for about 20 min and start playing songs etc. so for all of you out there enjoy your day and remember why you are playing. I hope it makes you happy.
Tyler...
Coming back after 40 + years
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler, I am sorry about your loss, but glad that you are finding happiness in playing the trumpet again. Have you joined, or considered joining, a community band? Best wishes.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler, I am 81 years old and played trumpet in the 50s and 60s but gave it up, sold my Conn 28B and pursued a career in printing and publishing. I had a wife and children to care for and gigs were getting harder to find in the 60s. The career move was the correct one. My wife died in March 2012 after a wonderful 57 years of marriage. The following years were tough, but on March 8, 2016, exactly 4 years after my wife's passing, I dug an old student horn out of the closet and started blowing again. It was the smartest thing I did since becoming a widower . I had purpose in life again. And on this past Monday night I played first trumpet in the local Horizons Band Spring Concert.

You made the right decision, my friend. All the best to you and good luck with your comeback.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music is powerful therapy. Hang in there.

Pete
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tyler,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is very cliche but mourning a loss of somebody so important is a process and takes time. You know that, and don't need to hear about it again.

I'm glad you picked the horn up again, and are being flooded with so many good memories, and I hope you keep them at the front of your mind and they make you happy and help you find some peace.

Another poster mentioned a community band? Maybe that's something you might consider. Besides your own growth and improvement in trumpeting, there are always some great friendly people in those groups and seeing some smiling new faces is always a good thing.

I hope you are getting lots of hugs and find some kindness and tenderness from friends and family. And for what it's worth, I'll say a prayer for you, your wife and your family. Again, I'm so very sorry for your losss.

Now go play some trumpet!!!!
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beautiful sentiment, Tyler. Much needed. My condolences on your loss- I can't imagine what I'd do without my wife there anymore.

There was a period of time earlier this year where I just did not want to practice. I lost all motivation. I had forgotten why I play. It really is an important thing to remember.

Thanks, man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OldKing

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to read of your loss, but you certainly did the right thing starting something, anything, to keep your mind active, especially focusing on a good, positive thing like music.

I picked the horn back up last July after laying off for about 30 years and I joined a couple of community bands. There's plenty of widowers in them doing exactly what you're doing.

I too have plenty of old method, etude, etc. books, but I spend almost as much time taping them back together as I do practicing!

Good trumpeting to you sir.
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I hadn't played in over 30 years and started playing again to relieve the stress of aging parents, both mine and my wife's. We lost our fathers 4 years ago 3 days apart and lost her mother this past March. I'm blessed with a wonderful wife who unfortunately has MS, but I don't know what I would do without her. She puts up with me and my playing and was kind enough to allow me to buy a new Shires a few years ago. The community band is a great idea and lots of fun. Feel what you need to feel and cry when you need to cry and may God hold you close.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler, be sure to keep us informed on how you are doing. All the best.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sympathies. Having been through that kind of loss, and other life changes myself, I've found myself picking up the horn again after each. Sounds like it's a common theme among comebackers here.
Bob5610

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sincere condolences on your loss Tyler. My wife of 19 years passed away at 48 years old in 2005. My daughter was 19 at the time. I've been a music teacher and trumpet player for over 40 years( I'm 56 now) and I tried to keep playing and working through all of the chemo and doctor visits and hospital stays. Just generally spending time with her. Playing didn't seem important. After she passed I knew what you know now, playing music is great therapy. I started practicing again and found places to play. Find a community band or just someone to play duets with! Play along recordings, it doesn't matter, just play. Everyone says "I know how you feel" at times like this, but few really do. I think I have some idea. You'll come through this. Good luck.
Bob
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob5610 wrote:
Everyone says "I know how you feel" at times like this, but few really do. I think I have some idea. You'll come through this.
Bob

So true, Bob. How can anyone possibly know unless they them selves have experienced what we have.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
mcnairg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your story and those of the other posters are such poignant reminders that despite all our myriad differences of race, class, ethnicity, nationality, etc. we are all human beings trying to find our way in the world and are joined by the joy we experience through music and the grief and heartbreak we endure through death. I was really into music (trumpet and chorus) from elementary school through my sophomore year in college—I even entered college as a music major. Well, as was the case for many of us, life took me in other directions and I stopped playing. I dragged my trumpet and flugel all around for 30 years, promising that I would pick them up again "as soon as I get the time." Well, the time never seemed right, until my mom died in 2015. Reaching a point in your life when you've lost both parents leads one to take stock, and so I did. I remembered how much I loved music and how good I was at it; it was of the purest things I could remember, frustrations and all. I also remembered my mom taking me to the music store when I was ten years old to buy me a trumpet—because she loved Louis Armstrong. I remembered her buying me my second horn when I entered high school, and how she took that horn to a tech when I wrinkled the bell in a marching band mishap! I remember her coming to every game and never complaining—not even once—as I screeched my way through practice in the den. That was the horn I'd been carting around for three decades. I decided the time was right to play again, both for her and for me. It's been two years now. I practice probably two hours a day, am better than I was in my "prime," and play in my college's symphonic wind ensemble (I'm a history professor now). It took a tragic loss to bring me back to something I had lost and to remind me every day what a wonderful mother I had! Thank you for giving me an opportunity to share this.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcnairg, your story touched me deeply.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Happiness Reply with quote

I agree with all of you. Music is a universal healing ointment. Listening or playing. I picked up the horn a few months ago after 18 years off. No embouchure, or endurance. But I found a good pro horn cheap and it works just fine. When I play something I couldn't a couple weeks ago, that feels good. To those of you who started again after losing a loved one. You know they hear you loud and clear! Keep playing and enjoying.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Horizons has 2 big bands in Portland. One in Tualatin and one in Portland itself. The Tualatin band trumpet section is tolerably full at the moment, but there might be a seat open in the Portland (Hollywood) band, doubling the 4th part.

Why don't you swing by the Tualatin Senior Center Monday 12/4 for our Christmas Concert 7-8:30 ?

edit: Oops. Gotta start checking OP dates more closely. Anyhoo, still welcome to come by to this free concert !
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued

Last edited by pinstriper on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Horizons program is great for comeback players. This is my second year with them locally. We have a retired professional music teacher and professional musician as our director. We're not only playing, but we're learning, too. I love it.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
tmaudlin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am back after several years. Bought 1966 bach 37 trumpet that was
restored to beautiful condition. I now play lead trumpet in our community band in Keizer Oregon. Its been great. but because of the virus we are not playing now but we will be back. I am having a great time playing it gave me some purpose again. Practice is a workout about 1 1/2 of playing. I am 66 now and for me that's a work out. Lots of good trumpet stuff. Play on...
Coming back after 40 + years
johnpiaz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your story, both of grief, and of the power of music, of making music, to provide some consolation. I have returned to playing music, and to the trumpet after 20+ years, and it has brought me a lot of joy. On this level, it doesn’t matter what horn we are playing—whatever helps us get the notes out that we hear the in our heads.
1980’s Yamaha ytr-739t
Giardinelli 6B
Bach 5C
Studied with: Mario Guarneri, Dave Len Scott, John Worley
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, John. There is no greater medicine than music.

A little update on me. I moved from Horizons, where I played lead trumpet to a more challenging brass and reed band and, except for Covid, it has been a great experience. I don't play lead here but I am sharing a first trumpet section along with 3 other professional players and learning more every day.

Best wishes,
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: