• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The great Roy Roman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: The great Roy Roman Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHHwIoOFhmo
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in college in the mid-'80s, I read a classified ad in the back of DownBeat magazine about a recording by the amazing Roy Roman -- apparently the spiritual child of Cat and Maynard (and the ad did mention both those names).

A sucker for high notes, I mailed my check to the address (yes, it was a more innocent time) and a few weeks later I received a cassette tape that included a studio recording of whatever tune is being splatted all over on that video clip.

Yes, there were a lot of very high notes on that cassette, as well as a lot of studio reverb (though not as much, it should be noted, as you'll find on Phil Driscoll albums of similar vintage...

I did mention, didn't I, that I'm a sucker for high notes, right?),

but honestly, not much in the way of music. I listened to it a handful of times and then it joined the other cassettes I never listened to.

In the mid-'90s I mailed it off, free of charge, to a TPINer in Hawaii who expressed an interest in hearing the amazing Roy Roman. Sometimes you just have to share the amazement.
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chance to see Roy in the late 90's at a Chapel in Ft. Hood, TX where he put on an evangelical concert backed up by accompanying tracks / band in a box set up consisting of some popular Phil Driscloll's hymns. Had a chance to visit with him afterward. Nice guy. Among other things, We talked about his no pressure - trumpet on palm of the hand method, which he graciously demonstrated with ease.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: