• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Artist New York II YM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFlinch83
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Artist New York II YM Reply with quote

I bought a Yamaha Artist Model NYII-YM model from Dillon Music and must say that it is a fantastic horn. I've owned so many C trumpets, from Bach to Yamaha, Larson, Shires, etc. This is the first one in a long time that has caused me to write a review of any kind. The tone is really beautiful, colorful, complex and brilliant without being a laser beam.

I've owned both a Chicago series 1 and a New York series 1 and thought they both were lacking in color and depth of sound. I also tested a Chicago II and found it to be not free-blowing enough for the way I want a horn to feel. This NYIIYM is exactly what I was looking for.

They are about $1200 more than a new Bach, or $800 more than a Blueprinted one that plays really well, but this is way more horn than my 229/H ever was. I'd highly recommend trying one if you're in the market.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. I've caught a few Boston Symphony Orchestra concerts on internet radio, and I think the trumpet section sounds fantastic playing these horns. (Of course, they sound pretty good no matter what, but it's cool how well this instrument seems to work for them.)
Piccolo Stomvi
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Santa...
Dashtrpt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it compare to the First generation? What's up Brent!
Eigentoot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. Did you have an opportunity to compare it to the Yamaha Artist New York Gen. II model with the YS4 bell that David Bilger plays or the Shires "Bilger model"?
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eigentoot wrote:
...YS4 bell that David Bilger plays or the Shires "Bilger model"?

He has not been playing on a Shires for quite some time. Too heavy/tankish of horns. He's playing a NYII with the 229 mandrel bell.
BoscoBabcock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one of these in the Hamburg Atelier last year, I thought it was a lot more responsive and colourful than the regular NYII!
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Artist New York II YM Reply with quote

BFlinch83 wrote:
I bought a Yamaha Artist Model NYII-YM model from Dillon Music and must say that it is a fantastic horn. I've owned so many C trumpets, from Bach to Yamaha, Larson, Shires, etc. This is the first one in a long time that has caused me to write a review of any kind. The tone is really beautiful, colorful, complex and brilliant without being a laser beam.

I've owned both a Chicago series 1 and a New York series 1 and thought they both were lacking in color and depth of sound. I also tested a Chicago II and found it to be not free-blowing enough for the way I want a horn to feel. This NYIIYM is exactly what I was looking for.

They are about $1200 more than a new Bach, or $800 more than a Blueprinted one that plays really well, but this is way more horn than my 229/H ever was. I'd highly recommend trying one if you're in the market.

So, I have a question for Brent and I am truly sorry if this sounds like I'm calling you out.

After such a glowing review and posting on other threads about how great this horn is, why are you selling it and going back to your Shires, especially when you mention that the Yamaha is a superior instrument?
alonshofar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "glowing review" sounds like something the ex said about me when we got married. Who would have thought that she ended up deciding to trade me in for an older model ?
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think that Brian is doing anything sneaky. We all know about Yamahas. Feel amazing at first, then... something happens.

While I am not in this boat, we all know that person who woke up one day, and realised they had married their mother-in-law*.

cheers

Andy

*Now, the first wife... she made the dragon-in-law look sane and almost... nah, just don't go there.
BFlinch83
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha...I figured that this might come up. It's truly a great horn, but so is this Shires and I can't justify keeping two $4k C trumpets around. Trust me, I certainly didn't write this with the intention of putting it on Marketplace, and if the horn doesn't sell I will be happy to keep it and use it on certain rep and the Shires on other.
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFlinch83 wrote:
Haha...I figured that this might come up. It's truly a great horn, but so is this Shires and I can't justify keeping two $4k C trumpets around. Trust me, I certainly didn't write this with the intention of putting it on Marketplace, and if the horn doesn't sell I will be happy to keep it and use it on certain rep and the Shires on other.

You seem to have tried almost every serious orchestral horn on the market at some point. I'd be very interested to read what you've learn on your extended trials and how these horns compare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: