• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

John Swana

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikejarosz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John in my opinion is one of the greatest bebop trumpet players. He has many albums out under the Criss Cross Jazz record label. The 'Joe Magnarelli' post made me think of posting about John since they play together ocassionally. John plays alot of EVI (electronic valve instrument) with a group in Philly called the Electric Mingus Project featuring Gerald Veasley (Bass player). I think John's technique is flawless and effortless sounding. His improv ideas sound like a mix between Clifford, Freddie and Chris Potter (sax). Hearing him play EVI will blow your mind into another dimension (not literally... obviously). What do you think?

Mike
http://www.mikejarosz.com
http://www.onlybrassmusic.com
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more, Mike. John Swana is among a group of young (realtively) trumpet players who have my undivided attention. I love the fact that they've found a nitch within the bebop tradition. Lester Bowie once said that "If you can play bebop then you can play ANY style of jazz, because the bebop language is the hardest." Anyway, all I can say is that when any of the guys on my list below puts out a recording, I'm on it immediately.

LARRY'S "A" LIST (in no particular order):
Terell Stafford
Jeramy Pelt
Ryan Kisor
Greg Gisbert
Joe Magnarelli
Jim Rotondi [God, I love this guy. This guy can even outbop Freddie]
Bryan Lynch
John Swana [of course]
trptczar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Swana is the man. Does he play a regular gig in Philly? If you know please share this so that next time I get out that way and can plan.

thanks
the czar
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Kisor has a new CD (Awakening) out next month but I haven't heard of anything from either Brian Lynch or Jim Rotondi in quite a while.
Anybody know if there are any new recordings in the pipeline?
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

I read your post yesterday. Today I was cleaning out an old desk and found a picture of me with John Swana and another trumpet player up at Faddis's apartment in Manhattan taking a lesson. 1984 I think. I knew him when I was in school. Swana just keeps getting better and better. What an ear.

Steve
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swana plays at Chris's cafe on Samson St off of Broad in Center City pretty regularly with Bootsie Barnes and Chris Farr. He is an absolute beast and really deserves more recognition.
crazyhorns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of catching John Swana with Joe Magnarelli at Ortleib's a few years ago. They were burnin' through "rhythm" changes at an unheard-of tempo... and they didn't miss a thing. World class players. The only thing missing (on stage) that night was Tony DeSantis.

~Steve Hyde~
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play in a group called Trumpets East (led by Bill Pusey), and Swana was one of the trumpet players (drawn from quite a pool of players in the Philly/A.C. area). He played EVI in that group, also . . . that must've been in the mid-80's. The group was five trumpets, bass trumpet (that was me at the time), piano, guitar, bass & drums. An amazing group, and Bill kept it going as long as he could through many personnel changes.

Swana plays on my Rich Willey & Boptism CD, available (if you're interested) by going to http://store.yahoo.com/boptismpublishing/cdsbyricwil.html . . . I remember Claudio Roditi telling me (a few months after we recorded it) that he thought John Swana was right at the top of the heap of great bebop trumpeters doing it today. I have to agree.

He's also a nice, likeable guy who's easy to work with. I have all of his Criss Cross CDs . . . even though they're way overpriced, the music lasts longer than the irritation of paying too much.

Rich
mikejarosz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

how's it goin' man? I have an old trumpets east video that Bill gave me recently of the group playing the zaccagni arrangement of the national anthem at a sixer's game. Did you do any of those sixers gigs? I also have some other Trumpets East memorbilia as well. About a year ago, I was talking with bill about starting up the group again. He gave me a whole load of Trumpets East stuff to use for ideas on making a promo kit. I have a bio sheet of the band with the name 'STRUMPET before the name change. I also have a cd of trumpets east that I transferred over from cassette. If you are interested in a copy, I would be glad to send it to you. I heard that they played at a Phillies game a few weeks ago, did you happen to play? Take it easy Rich -

Mike

BTW - Bill also played me a bunch of cuts from your cd. I thought it sounded great man.

http://www.mikejarosz.com
http://www.onlybrassmusic.com
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-07 00:55, mikejarosz wrote:
Did you do any of those sixers gigs?
<snip>
If you are interested in a copy, I would be glad to send it to you. I heard that they played at a Phillies game a few weeks ago, did you happen to play?

Hey, Mike!

I left the South Jersey area and moved north to Woodbridge in '86, I think. I did some gigs with the group after that, but a guy named Shelley Ginsburg filled in on bass trumpet. He must've been the guy on those Sixers gigs.

I remember when Bill tried using the name Strumpet for awhile, until he found out what the word means. They went back to Trumpets East shortly thereafter.

I did play with the band at the New York Brass Conference in 1990 . . . got my car towed and missed the gig that I was supposed to play immediately afterward. Oh, well. But we got to hang out and go to dinner with Vince DiMartino, Charlie Davis and Earl Gardner, so in a sense I guess it was worth it.

I'd love to hear the recordings of the band if you don't mind sending a copy. Invoice me, and I'll reimburse you. I have a 5-minute videotape with Mike Natale blowing a solo on Tempus Fugit (WOW!), but for some reason Swana doesn't blow a solo on that video. I never quite figured that out.

We played at the Willingboro Jazz Festival, and that was broadcast on WRTI . . . Bill has that recording, and all I got was an overloaded (levels set way too high) cassette of that performance. Swana was really kickin' ass by that time. He played a solo on Eye of the Hurricane that was simply incredible. I believe that was in 1990, also. I did a whole series of clinics with the band in the South Jersey area right around then, as well, and Swana was on most of those. By then, he was playing so great that it was mind-blowing.

What great memories you're helping to dredge up. I hadn't thought about those cats in quite some time. Thanks!

Rich
4Him
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered Swana on a Benny Golson Group CD called Remembering Clifford. Fine trumpet player IMHO. Good recording, too.

Ken
SPITTY
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Swana fan here - anyone know if he teaches privately and if so does anyone have a contact for him - email will do?

Thanks!,
Spitty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: