• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

? can I

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lottoblaste

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: ? can I Reply with quote

I use my curry 3c trumpet mp for both my olds trumpet and cornet.It seems to work fine and the cornet stays in tune .Is this ok? the mouthpiece sticks way out on the cornet but plays well.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trouble believing that a trumpet mouthpiece will ever sound and respond anywhere close to the way a proper cornet mouthpiece would. If you don't want to spring for another Curry you might try a stock Yamaha size 14 long cornet piece. This decision could be complicated if your Olds is a vintage horn which could require and more specific cornet shank.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
lottoblaste

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

It came with ablessing 3c and it does slot very well with it. It is a short mp. The curry is very fexible.
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have an Olds Recording cornet and the receiver was much bigger then other cornets so I'm not surprised that a trumpet mouthpiece would somewhat fit, I've heard stranger things. I had Curry make me a 1 1/4c with the Olds shank and I know you said you use a 3c and it may be too big for you but it's only slightly used and if you want it I'll let you have it free of charge. I'll even pay the shipping if you are within the continental US. Send me a pm if you want it.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older Olds cornets and trumpets have a different proprietary shank/receiver taper than "Bach standard" now used by most manufacturers. When I helped a friend refurbish a little used and good condition Ambassador trumpet, I had to go on line to get an original Olds 3C (kind of between a Bach 3C and 7C in feel) to match the receiver - all others wobbled.

So, with the slightly wider top end of the receiver, I can see how a "standard shank" trumpet mouthpiece might fit in a little ways.

There is nothing "wrong" with using any mouthpiece that gets the results, but by using a trumpet mouthpiece that only inserts a minimal way into the cornet receiver, there is a risk of premature wear that will cause no mouthpiece to seat properly.

I suggest finding a proprietary Olds mouthpiece to fit the receiver, or if you have a preference for a different rim, cup, throat, backbore, etc., most of the well-known mouthpiece makers can make a shank with the proper taper to fit the receiver.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A highly respected brass tech published a paper where he claims that the primary difference between the cornet and trumpet is not conical versus cylindrical tubing, but the mouthpiece that's used. It's worth a read.
https://www.robbstewart.com/difference-between-trumpet-and-cornet

I'd try and get my hands on a more appropriate mouthpiece and I'd be surprised if you don't hear/fell some distinct advantage.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also disagree that the difference between a trumpet and a cornet is that a trumpet has cylindrical tubing and a cornet has conical.

That may have been true in the 1800's but since 1900 all trumpets have been built with conical tubing.

I have a trumpet built in 1923 that has conical tubing, a trumpet from 1942 that has conical tubing and a trumpet from 1956 that has conical tubing. And that is all the way from receiver to bell. The only cylindrical section is the short section on each valve slide.

Get your trumpet out and measure the tubing. I dont know of a single trumpet with cylindrical tubing. Never seen one never will.

The proportions are different in different instruments, but many trumpets and cornets have been measured, some trumpets have more cylindrical tubing in them than some cornets but some trumpets have more conical tubing in them than some cornets.

If the difference between trumpets and cornets was that cornets have conical tubing, surely these extremely conical trumpets should be reclassified as cornets and those cornets with more cylindrical tubing should be called trumpets.

One thing is consistent, cornets have more rapid changes of the bore size in the bell tubing. I believe this difference gives richer tones to a cornet. Trumpets have longer bell tubing and the flare is less pronounced.

The main difference and the difference that gives the characteristic tone to a cornet or trumpet is the mouthpiece.

I play deep mouthpieces on trumpet and I am regularly asked if I am playing a cornet.

Trumpets and cornets are so very similar these days the real difference is the mouthpiece.

Last edited by Bflatman on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ? can I Reply with quote

lottoblaste wrote:
I use my curry 3c trumpet mp for both my olds trumpet and cornet.It seems to work fine and the cornet stays in tune .Is this ok? the mouthpiece sticks way out on the cornet but plays well.

Somewhere along the line someone may have simply reamed out that cornet to accept a trumpet mouthpiece. So there's that, too.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: ? can I Reply with quote

lottoblaste wrote:

Wouldnīt recommend it. Agree with above posts. As for myself I have one Wick Ultra 7C for cornet and ditto but for trumpet.
Why so? Same rim essential! Same diameter helps too.
But I have tried cornet mpc + adapter in my trumpets - something lacking...unclear what. Listener told me it just didnīt sound well. Pro he was and very seasoned, high class big band, teaching as well.
Might be subjective of course - but in another thread thereīs a discussion on focal point of sound - relevant here!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get it up to pitch with the trumpet mouthpiece? If so, what's the big deal so long as you like the sound and others can accept it as well.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Can you get it up to pitch with the trumpet mouthpiece? If so, what's the big deal so long as you like the sound and others can accept it as well.

I'm with Craig on this. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like how it works and it doesn't interfere with anyone else's playing then it's fine. If you experiment and change your mind about it later that's fine as well.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, if it feels good, do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: