• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pocket Trumpet Suggestions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, cornets can be neat but what about a pocket cornet?

http://pocketcornets.com/html/holton_c150.html

Www.LexSamu.com
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Travel Reply with quote

I'm in sales and spend a fair amount on the road. The playing gaps were cutting into my endurance and growth as a comeback player. Buzzing and the Pete just didn't cut it. I picked up the Carol pocket mini. It fits inside my carryon bag, and I can make it 3-4 days with just the horn in my carryon bag. The sound is big, so I picked up a mini mute to cutdown on the noise level in hotels. Even keeping up 10-15 minutes per day keeps me fresh enough to maintain the chops.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Carol mini..I was thinking of that when I posted the link to the Holton pocket cornet (which is/was much more expensive..and they don't make it anymore). If I was going on some type of hiking/camping trip for a few days and just had a backpack..the Carol mini would be what I would take. Never tried it personally, but Steve does a great job demonstrating it!

Link

Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwag - BTW, the mini whisper mute by Best Brass is awesome..not too much resistance, great intonation.. The Bremner SHHH is even less resistant and probably the closest to 'open bell', but it's not mini (and is a little louder, the BB is really quiet).. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEMO-Wisemann-Large-Bell-Pocket-Trumpet-Lacquer-Great-Case-and-Player-DPT-400-/222545301611?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
BookTrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have a look at the following websites:
http://www.pocketcornets.com/
http://www.topratedtrumpets.com/best-pocket-trumpet/
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been several discussions on this over the years; do a topic search.

I've had several standard-sized bell pocket trumpets over the years, including the Kanstul 905 (which is an approximation of the original Benge pocket), a Marcato, and a Pocket Max (the later two were evidently manufactured at the same factory).

They were all very well built, but at some point they each started backing up on me (they're all .460 bores and wound very tight); once that happened, I'd get rid of them.

As a result, when size matters, I've been contented using my cornet - which is plenty compact.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never played the Wisemann pocket, but it seems to have gotten a lot of good reviews. It seems like a great deal at $250, especially if you're just going to use it for practice. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about the newer Jupiter model with a full size bell, but I've never played one. It's $789 on Amazon and at most of the big box music stores.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYAXMB9/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I37QN9FQ4EEGWF
Justin_Smith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Jean Baptste small bell pocket trumpet that I. Ought to take on a long trip. I bought it used on Ebay for about $70 (I think they sell for about $200-250. . It will not work with all of my mutes, but my best brass Harmon fits ( I now use it with Matt Anklan's Silencer) also my Brass Spa practice mute fits well. Now a days I just lend it out to students who are going on long vacations to encourage them to play on their trips. Now a days I travel with a regular trumpet if I a, gone for more then 3 days in eith a streemlimed SKB case or Protec contoured.

I am not a huge fan of playing pocket trumpets in general, but the ones that have a full size bell play better, Benge, kanstul, Carol brass. These tend to be more expensive. For a full sized bell cheaper one, the Conn Sellmer Prelude is not bad, $300-400 new. I think a used in sold on eBay recently for about $150.
My cheaper pocket trumpet plays good enough and the price was fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: