• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Science of breath applied to trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Science of breath applied to trumpet Reply with quote

I have read and been working on exercise with the Yogi book for about 2 months and really like the benefits. Has anyone done a book on exercises built on the principles. I like doing by themselves but it would be more beneficial to begin using it constructively when I practice.
Publications or sites or whatever
Thanks
Rod
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Maybe I'm asking incorrectly Reply with quote

What I'm looking for is literature or exercises that take Yogi breath or low breath and applies it to playing this piece of tubing. I really need to build my lungs after many years of abuse and since I'm practicing a good bit anymore I was hoping that someone smarter and more involved than me had blazed a path. im not a musician by trade and never read much by teachers and other players and was hoping some of you better versed in different methods could point me toward someone who had some ideas. I feel like the original post heading implied I had some revelation to impart - sorry to disappoint haha. Just another wanderer looking for guidance.
Thanks
Rod[/quote]
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the book as well as other Yogic breathing techniques for decades. My first recommendation is simply to just use, and enjoy, the benefits of good Yogic breathing, in and of itself. Enjoy.

Regarding using it for trumpet, keep in mind the saying, "too much analysis leads to paralysis".

For example, on summer break from UNT, I took lessons from Bob Fleming (first-call L.A. studio musician for many years). In my regular studies with Haynie, I had spent much focus on the science of all these aspects of trumpet playing.

Expecting a similar approach, and because I was confused by the conflicts, I asked Bob how to properly make breath support. His answer was, "cough", which I did. Then he simply said, "See. Do that."

That was it. No exotic or detailed pseudoscientific explanation. Just, "use the same support as if you were coughing".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I've used the book as well as other Yogic breathing techniques for decades. My first recommendation is simply to just use, and enjoy, the benefits of good Yogic breathing, in and of itself. Enjoy.

Regarding using it for trumpet, keep in mind the saying, "too much analysis leads to paralysis".

For example, on summer break from UNT, I took lessons from Bob Fleming (first-call L.A. studio musician for many years). In my regular studies with Haynie, I had spent much focus on the science of all these aspects of trumpet playing.

Expecting a similar approach, and because I was confused by the conflicts, I asked Bob how to properly make breath support. His answer was, "cough", which I did. Then he simply said, "See. Do that."

That was it. No exotic or detailed pseudoscientific explanation. Just, "use the same support as if you were coughing".

Yes excessive analysis leads to a confusing set of priorities during performance.

Analysis can be of critical value however. Yet its place is in the practice room. Not the stage. And of course some trumpet players need very little self examination. These fortunate few "just tongue and blow" and eventually everything works out great.

Doc Reinhardt used to refer to the practice room as the "mechanics shop". Or garage. Similarly the stage was the racetrack. On race day we dont pull the engine apart.

Having said that? There are some truly cool ideas regarding high range production which can turn the average range limited trumpet players into a pure beast above high C. Seen it happen with my own eyes and ears and it works for lots of trumpet players.

Yet had they not taken the time toanalyze this matter "in the mechanic's garage"?

They never would have acheived their amazing results. So we need to examine when it is the time to analyze ourselves and when not to.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is hardly any actual science included in this book. Nor is it meant to be an instruction manual for brass playing. If you find benefit in these type exercises, playing or otherwise, great!
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this well help ... it is a VERY good description of the Wedge Breath as used by Bobby Shew, Bud Brisbois, Roger Ingram, Lynn Nicholson, Brian MacDonald ad nauseum ....

http://brassfundamentals.blogspot.com/2013/03/bobby-shew-wedge-breath.html

the very slight raising of the shoulders has helped me tremendously as mentioned in the blog ...
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQJBgzgn_3o

Arnold Jacobs
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl (kalijah) is right - there is noe real science in that book. When it was published, several books used the word "science" as part of the title. Maybe it boosted the sale?

The man who wrote this book, was btw. no real yogi.
Yogi Ramacharaka is believed to be the pseudonym or pen-name for William Atkinson.

William Walker Atkinson was born December 5, 1862, in Baltimore, Maryland. He died November 22, 1932, in California.

He was the associate editor of the Chicago magazine "Suggestion" from 1900-1905 and then editor of "Advanced Thoughts" from 1916-1919.

From 1903 he began to write books on yoga philosophy using the pseudonym, "Yogi Ramacharaka".

Ole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: