• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need Reynolds Serial # Info

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Need Reynolds Serial # Info Reply with quote

I have an absolute time capsule of an instrument. A Reynolds CR58 Medalist cornet. Never been played, with original case, unopened mouthpiece and all the packing material including the original box. The problem is the serial number does not seem to line up with any of the lists I can find. It is 101169.

According to the list here: http://contemporacorner.com/serial-numbers/
The serial numbers were reset starting at 200,000 in November of 1964 and they started 1964 at 85,000. They were only making 5,000 per year at that point so I am quite confused by the number. There is also a warranty card from Richards Music with the number and it is on the outside of the shipping box.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Reynolds Serial # Info Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
I have an absolute time capsule of an instrument. A Reynolds CR58 Medalist cornet. Never been played, with original case, unopened mouthpiece and all the packing material including the original box. The problem is the serial number does not seem to line up with any of the lists I can find. It is 101169.

According to the list here: http://contemporacorner.com/serial-numbers/
The serial numbers were reset starting at 200,000 in November of 1964 and they started 1964 at 85,000. They were only making 5,000 per year at that point so I am quite confused by the number. There is also a warranty card from Richards Music with the number and it is on the outside of the shipping box.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reynolds was sold to Chicago Musical Instrument company and production was moved away from Cleveland, Ohio. The serial numbers were reset at this time.

You're right your serial number is interesting in that is after the last known instrument made in Ohio for Richards Music and predates the serial number reset when the company was sold and production was moved.

If you read the Company history on another page on the Contempora Corner site that you linked to (and is the one that I'm sure would have been suggested by me and others), Reynolds was owned by Richards Music prior to it's sale to CMI. Might be worth reaching out and contacting some folks at that website with info about your horn. Maybe there are instruments made post 85,000 - since yours seems to be one. Who knows, maybe they have access to shop records and the like.

Very interesting.

Sometimes people come on here with serial numbers for random student instruments - say a Selmer Bundy cornet - wondering when it was made. There's sometimes no records for these instruments and you can really only guess as to when it was made - and frankly, the specific year doesn't matter all that much.

However, yours is interesting if you consider the unopened box condition with the warranty card and the fact that it seems to not fit into the published timeline, exactly - and that it falls right in the middle of a transitory period for this company.

How does it play?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not played it. it has been in the box on our shelf for about 15 years. A woman sold it to us with a heart breaking story of how the family bought it for her brother who was in Vietnam. You can guess the rest.

Don't know why it took me so long to come up with the idea of selling it at auction and donating the money to a veterans group but that is what we are going to do. Just want as much info as we can get on the horn. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: