• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tomasi Tumpet Concerto on Bb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciardellin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Tomasi Tumpet Concerto on Bb Reply with quote

Anybody play the Tomasi on Bb instead of C? just curious.....
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to...did the Tomasi in my Master's recital and in a couple of concerts, all on Bb. Didn't have a C at the time.

I played it in a masterclass with London Brass once...actually twice. As they were late, the Dept. Head decided I should perform it for everyone waiting. Immediately after finishing it, they arrived and I had to play it again. Went well with quite a lot of positive and constructive comments. There was a lot of surprise though that I could play it on a Bb.

As I recall there wan't anything that was particularly uncomfortable under the fingers on Bb...seemed to work quite well.

I have a Bb transposition that I made of the trumpet part. If anyone wants it send me a private pm - I have finale files as well as pdf in case you need to adapt. But if you want it, please buy a copy of the music first and support the publisher. I'm not providing this as an alternative to buying, just as a performance aid.
LaserBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Tomasi on Bb Reply with quote

I tip my hat to anybody that can play this piece on any horn.

I tried it transposing on Bb a long time ago and gave up. Now that I have a C, I stick to that. I will probably never get the whole thing up to performance ready, but I have (barely) managed to perform the second movement (Nocturne) on its own.

So the story goes: Armando Ghitalla said that a Db trumpet (either a cut-down C, or pull-the-slides-out D trumpet) was good for the Tomasi because it helped with all those sharps.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomasi on Bb Reply with quote

LaserBoy wrote:
...So the story goes: Armando Ghitalla said that a Db trumpet (either a cut-down C, or pull-the-slides-out D trumpet) was good for the Tomasi because it helped with all those sharps.

Yet another reason to own a Blackburn Hickman 5-valve C trumpet...

http://www.blackburntrumpets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1256

One of the coolest inventions...ever!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: